Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why only one sub?...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
It amazes me how someone with a temperament like yours can come out with such bizarre OTT judgements like this.

Frutos was one of our best players in the first half. Many of his crosses were troubling the Millwall keeper. Granted, he looked less effective going backwards in the second half than he did going forwards in the first half, that is the player we have in this guy. But to say we should have taken this speedy, creative player off when we were looking for a goal is a very odd, unlogical opinion. Frutos is exactly the kind of player you need ON when chasing the game, even though he can be a liability sometimes when you are defending a lead or a draw.
Frutos was non-existant in the 2nd half. I'd have left Kaz on (as we wern't in a position to sacrifice ANY forwards), taken off Fruity, and gone 4-3-3 with Jake running at them from deep, and Mac and Kaz in support. We HAD to try something different, pose some new questions, because Millwall were just soaking it up. If it didn't work then at least we'd tried. But simply swapping Kaz for Leon did precisely f***-all.

As said previously, all ifs and buts. But IMO McGhee didn't react to Millwalls changes swiftly enough, and when he eventually did, the response was totally ineffectual.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Why only one sub?...

London Irish said:
Because we actually got back on top of Millwall in the last 20 minutes or so and looked the most likely team to score, Knight certainly had a couple of good chances to equalise.

We had few options on the bench. Jake coming on would have meant either sacrificing our best player Big Mac or one of the midfielders who had got the grip of the game back.

It would have been a gamble and McGhee decided obviously it wasn't worth making, and if you'd have watched the flow of the game in that last quarter of the game, you'd understand why.

That must rate as one of the most idiotic statements of the day.

Yes we had a couple of chances but when in the last 20 minutes did we look the most likely to score. At which game was McC our best player. He had a better game than usual during the first half but was nowhere near the best in fact his partner did a lot better when he was on CKR.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Repugnant Toad said:
I would have put Knight wide, Robinson up front. Alternatively, Mayo for El Abd, three up front, four in midfield.
Mayo for El Abd??????????????

I do hope you were joking.......El Abd has been immense at the back,

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Moving Leon out wide might have got Knight move involved and having Robinson down the middle would certainly have given their defenders something new to think about.

With ten minutes to I would also have gone three at the back as they were only really leaving one up front and either shoved McShane centre forward or pushed Reid into midfield.

CLEARLY things were not working and McGhee should have tried to change it if only to give the tired Millwall defence something different to think about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here