Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is Oatway getting a new contract?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
Yeah but when they are decent players that is fine. Carpenter spent most of last season carrying Oatway.

So Charlie made no contribution at all to last season's promotion?

And in your opinion how many 'decent' players have we got? And how many should we get rid of?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
six_yard_punisha said:
So Charlie made no contribution at all to last season's promotion?

And in your opinion how many 'decent' players have we got? And how many should we get rid of?
Real answer is, providing Blackwell is fit I would have got rid of Butters, Lee, well that has been covered on here to death. Not sure Iwelumo will cut it, struggled with Stoke and although contributed for us, he was nothing special.

Oatway only played because Jolly got injured and a lot of the time the game past him by, it will be worse in Div 1, at the end of the day when we won Div 2, we brought Lewis in as Charlie could not cut it.

There are others that we are stuck with due to longish contracts, ie Watson and Jones will be nothing more than a squad player.

Sadly people view Charlie through rose tinted specs, when in fact he is a Div 3 clogger. It is all well and good that he gets stuck in but half the time he does not win the second ball and we end up with a player on his arse and the rest of the midfield having to do his job.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
Real answer is, providing Blackwell is fit I would have got rid of Butters, Lee, well that has been covered on here to death. Not sure Iwelumo will cut it, struggled with Stoke and although contributed for us, he was nothing special.

Oatway only played because Jolly got injured and a lot of the time the game past him by, it will be worse in Div 1, at the end of the day when we won Div 2, we brought Lewis in as Charlie could not cut it.

There are others that we are stuck with due to longish contracts, ie Watson and Jones will be nothing more than a squad player.

Sadly people view Charlie through rose tinted specs, when in fact he is a Div 3 clogger. It is all well and good that he gets stuck in but half the time he does not win the second ball and we end up with a player on his arse and the rest of the midfield having to do his job.

We will have weak players in this division, but we can't get rid of them all and I really think those that have played a central part in our promotion should be rewarded above those that haven't. So no argument on Lee or Watson from me. But Charlie, Iwelumo, Jones etc must be kept, even if luxury dictates that we don't have to play them. They are, after all, the best that we have.

Also - imagine this was at your work. You have a very successful year during which you are ever present in your team. You are not the star player, but you don't do to badly. And then you get sacked. It would be harsh wouldn't it? And what kind of encouragement would this be to other employees?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
six_yard_punisha said:
We will have weak players in this division, but we can't get rid of them all and I really think those that have played a central part in our promotion should be rewarded above those that haven't. So no argument on Lee or Watson from me. But Charlie, Iwelumo, Jones etc must be kept, even if luxury dictates that we don't have to play them. They are, after all, the best that we have.

Also - imagine this was at your work. You have a very successful year during which you are ever present in your team. You are not the star player, but you don't do to badly. And then you get sacked. It would be harsh wouldn't it? And what kind of encouragement would this be to other employees?

But one of the reasons other than the management issue, was that we should too much loyalty to sub standard players when we got promoted last time and so struggled and it looks like we are doing it again. Loyalty is one thing, but maintaining our whatever the league is now called status has to be the be all and end all.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
But one of the reasons other than the management issue, was that we should too much loyalty to sub standard players when we got promoted last time and so struggled and it looks like we are doing it again. Loyalty is one thing, but maintaining our whatever the league is now called status has to be the be all and end all.

I think that I would agree with you if we had lots of better players coming in. Maybe then, ruthlessness would be the key to success. But as we don't have the players I can't see the point in getting rid of Charlie.

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
six_yard_punisha said:
We will have weak players in this division, but we can't get rid of them all and I really think those that have played a central part in our promotion should be rewarded above those that haven't.
But don't complain when we don't have enough money to pay for players who are good enough to keep us up.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Albionite83 said:
But don't complain when we don't have enough money to pay for players who are good enough to keep us up.

Well I hardly think that this is what is preventing the club from buying better players. We could probably get a couple of very good players in if we got rid of about 10 players. But then we wouldn't have a team would we.

Some of the speculation on here has been ridiculous. Nick Barmby? He would want 3 times what anyone else receives and that would mean getting rid of about 4/5 players to pay for him. Not gonna happen is it. Realistically we should lose about 3/4 players and look to bring in a couple of decent signings.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
How on earth can a lot of you say oatway is good as he is crap like most of our squad its to f***ing easy to see.
f***ed off with this loyalty bollox as it stops us from staying up and releasing funds.

Its not about loyalty i'll tell you what its about!!
Its about the club not having a pot to piss in and doing everything the cheap way with cheap crap players.

We all no we need to rebuild as the team is getting to predictable with 0 speed and skill through out.Mark my words we will get loan players who are very average.:nono: :nono:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i think that was a miss print in the argus! charlie still has 1 year to run of his old deal when we went up last time charlie,michel,harty,mayo,chippy and watto all signed new 3 year deals
as for blackwell as iv told you before he has told a very good freind of mine he's of!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
The money problem will be at the bottom of it. I would guess we need about 6 players but with no money we will be stuck with loans. And given we're paying their wages we won't get the best ones.

This is not a gripe, but an adjustment to reality. Without D**k we wouldn't have a club so I'll settle down to a season of struggle in the second division and delight in the fact we exist and we're playing Leeds FFS!

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
m20gull said:
The money problem will be at the bottom of it. I would guess we need about 6 players but with no money we will be stuck with loans. And given we're paying their wages we won't get the best ones.

This is not a gripe, but an adjustment to reality. Without D**k we wouldn't have a club so I'll settle down to a season of struggle in the second division and delight in the fact we exist and we're playing Leeds FFS!
Without dick we wouldn't have a club what bollocks (PROVE IT ):smokin:

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
he is a great guy at the club and in the future with be involved with the coaching set up good for the kids, but maybe in our starting 11 versus reading...we need to realise that a little bit of flair is required in our midfield aka sidwell if we are to progress.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Charlie earnt another 12 months on his contract by being involved,either on the bench or playing in 23 or more games last season.
That was in the contract he signed 2 years ago,so this is his last year with us.

Everyone happy now?

Dublin_Seagull

Jul 14, 2003
Dublin . Ireland
Charlie You are a Grafter and guy that plays with his heart on his sleeve,
Charlie it be great if you Sign a 3 year deal we need players like you. Hard Honest working players not these idiots that want a decent pay packet each week.
:drink: :drink:

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Thimble Keegan said:
Personally think having him with the squad is good. He is the ideal person to bring on if we are 1-0 up away from home with 20mins left...He can sit in front of the back 4 to give protection.

It has also been said that the Mickey Adams' squad, which this still very much is forged an incredible team spirit and togetherness and Charlie is very much an important part of that...That is just the way it is.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Lisbon-Worthing BHA

dont like this negative tactic. seen enough of it on tv. england v portugal and england v france. think you may have been in portugal tk so not trying to undermine you. just think if you are good enough to be in front after 70 mins then why not 90.
or in englands case, if you are good enough in the first half then why not the 2nd. we even tryed it against brazil in the world cup.
play the same style of football just slow it down when we have freekick, throw ins etc.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Those of you who don't rate Charlie should be made to watch the video of the Cardiff play off and hear the pundits view of his play.

He did well and as Lammy said did a brilliant job in negating Merson

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Safeway said:
He'll get murdered in Division One (again).

So when is the court case :lolol:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Yorkie said:
Those of you who don't rate Charlie should be made to watch the video of the Cardiff play off and hear the pundits view of his play.

He did well and as Lammy said did a brilliant job in negating Merson
Yeah but there was 46+games in a season dear o dear,why the applaud for players who have a few good games a season?????:shootself

Clear-out will never happen what a joke:drink:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Uncle Buck said:
Yeah but when they are decent players that is fine. Carpenter spent most of last season carrying Oatway.

Agreed. Why we are offering Oatway a new contract is beyond me. Would any other team in Div 1 (or 2 come to that) be so silly? I think not. We should really only be looking to keep players that can cut the mustard in the higher league. There is no room for sentiment in the game nowadays.

:nono:

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Neil Shipperly got Palace into the prem with his goal,what did that earn him?.Oatway IS NOT good enough for div 1 and should be released.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here