Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is Oatway getting a new contract?

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Zebedee said:
Agreed. Why we are offering Oatway a new contract is beyond me. Would any other team in Div 1 (or 2 come to that) be so silly? I think not. We should really only be looking to keep players that can cut the mustard in the higher league. There is no room for sentiment in the game nowadays.

:nono:
we are not he is already under contract the only players offered new deals were jones,reid,butters,iwelumo,piercy,lee,hammond and beck charlie signed a new 3 year deal when we last got promoted

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
saltash seagull said:
we are not he is already under contract the only players offered new deals were jones,reid,butters,iwelumo,piercy,lee,hammond and beck charlie signed a new 3 year deal when we last got promoted

Thanks for that. So Charlie is still under contract for a further year. C'est la vie. I thought it had been suggested that we had extended his current contract for a further period. I can sleep easily tonight now. More gutsy Charlie displays to look forward to. A heartening prospect indeed.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
it has been cos it said so in the argus but it must be a miss print cos he is definately under contract.put it this way if he's been offered a new deal then it's to extend his current deal which runs out next summer and i wouldn't see why charlie's is being extended and not chippy's or harty's.it also says dan harding has been offered 1 and he is also under contract to next summer but it would make sence to extend his

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
The back of the Argus today confirms all. Charlie had a deal whereby if he played a certain number of games, the club would have to offer him a contract of at least one year.

McGhee has offered him and Nathan Jones a 1 year contract and told them they have one season in division one to prove themselves as they failed to do so last time. He also said he would let Charlie know by Christmas whether or not he would be likely to get another year, as it depends if he "is in the team and playing regularly".

It seems a fair deal all round to me.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
hold my hands up just seen it!!

but what i dont understand is why oatway's name was never mentioned at the back end of last season when they were on about the out of contract players and why when i had an sms telling me who had been offered anew deal his name was not on it! johna's was but not chas.

have to agree gunter that sounds very fair to me

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
To be fair, you were not wrong. He was not out of contract as such, the club had a contractural obligation to offer him an extra year as he had played the required number of games.

Lets hope him and Jonesey have good seasons this time.

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
GUNTER said:
The back of the Argus today confirms all. Charlie had a deal whereby if he played a certain number of games, the club would have to offer him a contract of at least one year.
The same reason we were obliged to keep Nathan Jones. Complete joke.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Albionite83 said:
The same reason we were obliged to keep Nathan Jones. Complete joke.

is worrying that we done and/or are possibly still doing this. OK its handy in the lower divisions as it keeps players without the need of having to bring in new faces if those players leave (incentve to stay type thin). Personally I think we should get rid of it as we only need Jones/Oatway as squad players next to make up numbers and play when suspensions/injuries occur. Which could be a good reason for the staying actually!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
the full harris said:
nathan jones is our most effective midfielder.

you missed the letter 'd' - you should know where it goes :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here