Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Why is Nigel Farage on Question Time tonight ?

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Populist is not synonymous with popular.
Indeed, the better definition is a style of politics revolving around us vs them - particularly elites vs masses - narratives. So it’s sooner marked by divisiveness than popularity.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Tory haters might actually like it. In recent interviews he’s trying to destroy their vote more.

The chancer, post 4 July he plans to spend 5 months in the US helping the Orange Cnt get re-elected. Aided by Truss.
What we have is the BBC a public service broadcaster giving airtime to someone who is an enabler to a convicted felon in America.

We really need to give our heads a wobble.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'm convinced that the reason he gets so much air time is that he's very, very good at manufacturing viral social media content. This gets way more eyes on a show like Question Time as they know he'll say something inflammatory. I guess it comes with being someone who is purposefully divisive

it is certainly true that the amount of exposure he has is absolutely nowhere near being in line with how popular he actually is, hence he has failed 7 times to get elected as an MP

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm convinced that the reason he gets so much air time is that he's very, very good at manufacturing viral social media content. This gets way more eyes on a show like Question Time as they know he'll say something inflammatory. I guess it comes with being someone who is purposefully divisive

it is certainly true that the amount of exposure he has is absolutely nowhere near being in line with how popular he actually is, hence he has failed 7 times to get elected as an MP
Quite

The fact he's failed 7 times really highlights how popular he isn't. Especially when you consider how utterly useless many 'popular' MP's are.

The mind still boggles at post tortoise scenarios . . . Like Boris, and Liz.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I thought Farage had his arse handed to him by Piers Morgan last night. The Tory looked defeated for most of the programme and Wes came out very well indeed. The Piers/Nigel defence of public school boys at the end was very annoying as there was no time for anyone to comeback at them with

:- ‘If public schools offer the best education in this country, how come it produced the both of you?’

I really hate it when that premise is just assumed all the time. Public schools have without doubt, the best buildings and facilities but sadly, many are production lines for people like Sunk, Morgan and Farage. Empathy, humility and humanity is taught out of them as their emotional vulnerability (parentless borders) is exploited to the full and they are given a false sense of humour.

James O’Brien summed this up brilliantly when he described David Cameron’s reaction to Boris Johnson laid up with Covid:

“He [Cameron] added: “Boris is a very tough, very resilient, very fit person - I know that from facing him on the tennis court and I’m sure he’ll come through this.”

Only a public schoolboy would come out with a comment like that. I do wonder if the prize for losing to Boris at tennis was a pig’s head?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The article is wrong, as the headline says the advertisement is banned. I saw it on tv just last night.
i know I’m not the only one who can see the actor mimics Farage.
I think you might be a tad 'obsessed'. :wink:

In addition one version WAS banned, a newer version made.

Facts, its all about FACTS. Not mythical fairy tales.

Any road up, The Guarrdiaan never gets things wrong.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The guy is a self-serving political fraud.
Tony-Blair-2006.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought Farage had his arse handed to him by Piers Morgan last night. The Tory looked defeated for most of the programme and Wes came out very well indeed. The Piers/Nigel defence of public school boys at the end was very annoying as there was no time for anyone to comeback at them with

:- ‘If public schools offer the best education in this country, how come it produced the both of you?’

I really hate it when that premise is just assumed all the time. Public schools have without doubt, the best buildings and facilities but sadly, many are production lines for people like Sunk, Morgan and Farage. Empathy, humility and humanity is taught out of them as their emotional vulnerability (parentless borders) is exploited to the full and they are given a false sense of humour.

James O’Brien summed this up brilliantly when he described David Cameron’s reaction to Boris Johnson laid up with Covid:

“He [Cameron] added: “Boris is a very tough, very resilient, very fit person - I know that from facing him on the tennis court and I’m sure he’ll come through this.”

Only a public schoolboy would come out with a comment like that. I do wonder if the prize for losing to Boris at tennis was a pig’s head?

James O’Brien sends his kids to private schools.

Imho we should distinguish elite schools such as Eton and Ampleforth “Leave here and rule the world, you are all winners”. From thousands of nurturing independent schools helping kids overawed by the huge ‘penitentiaries’ that we survived. Neurodiversity and other SEN’s, we now know, is widespread. Kids get a chance from middle income parents giving up everything, or from burseries.

I know this from helping in the real world, (Not picking on you) not from a class war based on generalisations.

We need instead to think about how we can help kids who loath school gain from their years.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Why does someone who has stood and failed to become an MP on 7 occasions get so much airtime ? I know this has been asked a number of times, but does anyone have any idea why he keeps on appearing on mainstream media given the fact his single success was becoming an MEP, something we left years ago ?

I'm actually looking for a serious answer from his supporters/haters/whoever (although I appreciate this is NSC) because I really don't understand :shrug:
Because the man talks a lot more sense than most politicians. Because he's smart and entertaining to listen to. Because he is not boring. Because he is controversial which makes for good TV.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
BBC is now hugely right wing, just watch your news somewhere else
Hugely right wing? You should see what the Daily Telegraph commenters think of the Beeb.. You lot are as bad as each other. As a great 20th century poet said, "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
James O’Brien sends his kids to private schools.

Imho we should distinguish elite schools such as Eton and Ampleforth “Leave here and rule the world, you are all winners”. From thousands of nurturing independent schools helping kids overawed by the huge ‘penitentiaries’ that we survived. Neurodiversity and other SEN’s, we now know, is widespread. Kids get a chance from middle income parents giving up everything, or from burseries.

I know this from helping in the real world, (Not picking on you) not from a class war based on generalisations.

We need instead to think about how we can help kids who loath school gain from their years.
I’m not against private schools, as I believe in choice, but why should they be given charity status thus avoiding VAT?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m not against private schools, as I believe in choice, but why should they be given charity status thus avoiding VAT?

I can understand both arguments.

But it’s not just the tax aspect, people including here lazily lump all independent schooling and the private health sector as doing the devil’s work. Class war from the laptop … not for me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hugely right wing? You should see what the Daily Telegraph commenters think of the Beeb.. You lot are as bad as each other. As a great 20th century poet said, "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
The BBC has left wing programmes, but the news & political programmes are biased verging on propaganda. its unsurprising when the government of the day put their own people on the board of directors.
Decent journalists like Jon Sopel, Emily Maitlis, and Dan Walker all left.
Just Victoria Derbyshire left but only on Newsnight when most people are in bed.

oh, for the Ludovic Kennedy type presenters who really questioned politicians of all parties, and didn’t let them spout their nonsense.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can understand both arguments.

But it’s not just the tax aspect, people including here lazily lump all independent schooling and the private health sector as doing the devil’s work. Class war from the laptop … not for me.
Private healthcare is ok, but the NHS picks it up when it goes wrong, and there’s no emergency cover.
No class war from me, but happy to point out the limitations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here