Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Is John Terry on the short list for pfa?

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Must... resist... urge...to go into long, impassioned pro-Carrick sermon...!

These are voted for fairly early in the season, and you can't really argue with Chelsea's pre-eminence when looking at the table.
But still: does all seem a little unimaginative...!

Cole has been excellent - especially alongside the "disappointing" (not to me, obviously, but "neutrals" - whatever they are) Duff and Robben - and indeed Lampard, though he (like van Nistelrooy) still has plenty of goals for someone supposedly having an off-colour season. But Cole seems to have gone a little wayward and ineffective in recent weeks.
Henry has been phenomenal this year - but pretty much disappeared for a long while in the first half of the season.

Doesn't seem right to still have Rooney in the young players' list, somehow - but still, best of the lot although Fabregas, Lennon and Bent have perhaps been the most impressive young revelations...

Possibles missing: Lehmann, Dawson, Keane, Bellamy, Gabbidon (more impressive and important to West Ham's defence than Ferdinand, I reckon...)

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Repugnant Toad said:
Lampard, Cole and Gerrard maybe, but play in different positions. Nolan and Barton are decent players, but don't have his ability on the ball. As for the last three ... absolutely not!

For my money, Carrick's the best holding midfielder England has by some way; his positioning is near-perfect, and only Beckham can rival his passing ability, except Carrick can do it with both feet. Only his decision-making and tackling need to improve.

Also, I'd call Jenas' season inconsistent, rather than rubbish.

Parker is a better player in his position, more tenacious in the tackle, his passing is more direct and he is far more dynamic.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Don't agree about the passing, but otherwise, you're right - it depends what you look for in a holding midfielder. I'd take the classier Carrick over the more agressive Parker personally, especially if you're pairing him with an energetic attacking midfielder like Jenas/Lampard/Gerrard.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Repugnant Toad said:
Don't agree about the passing, but otherwise, you're right - it depends what you look for in a holding midfielder. I'd take the classier Carrick over the more agressive Parker personally, especially if you're pairing him with an energetic attacking midfielder like Jenas/Lampard/Gerrard.

He is very much a sideways passer. Keeps hold of the ball but their is usually not much incisive about his play.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I'd like to know how many assists he has this year - I'd wager it's a fair amount. I don't think we're about to agree on this one!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Repugnant Toad said:
I'd like to know how many assists he has this year - I'd wager it's a fair amount. I don't think we're about to agree on this one!

I wil happily admit that I may be wrong, lots of other people have disagreed with me on this. Strange thing about Carrick is that when he first came through at West Ham I remember him being very much in the Gerrard mold. Would like to see a bit more of this side of his game come out. It seems to me he has all the attributes but has marginalised himself by playing a very conservative game.

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
rooney has been class this season

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would have thought Carrick was unlucky not to be included.

Dawson young player or does he not qualify anymore?

If Terry played for SPURS you would LOVE him Kinky...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Richie Morris said:
I would have thought Carrick was unlucky not to be included.

Dawson young player or does he not qualify anymore?

If Terry played for SPURS you would LOVE him Kinky...

Not really if he cost England in a major tourny

E

enigma

Terry is over-rated, I agree with that. He has never played well for England, and he plays in system at Chelsea which protects his weaknesses, ie having Makelele there prevents a lot of through balls getting past him and him being outpaced. He is also lucky not to have given away more penalties this year.

That said, he has been Englands most consistent defender this year. He hasnt been as good as last year but I would struggle to think of many other defenders who deserve to be nominated. Look at their goals conceded column, Terry is a big part of that. He hasnt made many obvious mistakes.

I actually think Gallas is under-rated by comparison with him, and I think when they play together in the centre they are a very good partnership.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
enigma said:
Terry is over-rated, I agree with that. He has never played well for England, and he plays in system at Chelsea which protects his weaknesses, ie having Makelele there prevents a lot of through balls getting past him and him being outpaced. He is also lucky not to have given away more penalties this year.

That said, he has been Englands most consistent defender this year. He hasnt been as good as last year but I would struggle to think of many other defenders who deserve to be nominated. Look at their goals conceded column, Terry is a big part of that. He hasnt made many obvious mistakes.

I actually think Gallas is under-rated by comparison with him, and I think when they play together in the centre they are a very good partnership.

Gallas is top class

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Terry looks a lot better with Gallas, if you watch his mistakes he is usually covering for Carvalho or Del Horno. With Gallas he has a cb partner he can rely on.

E

enigma

Les Biehn said:
Terry looks a lot better with Gallas, if you watch his mistakes he is usually covering for Carvalho or Del Horno. With Gallas he has a cb partner he can rely on.

Agree with that 100%, they are an excellent partnership, particularly as Gallas pace means he can cover for Terry. Gallas is definitely under-rated, equally as good as Terry

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here