Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is it all going right all of a sudden?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personnel changes? Team selection? Positional changes?

Here is our team that played Forest in early Dec 2007. We played well, but lost:

Michel Kuipers;
Andrew Whing,
Adam El-Abd,
Joel Lynch,
Matt Richards,
Jake Robinson,
Tommy Fraser,
Dean Hammond,
Dean Cox;
Bas Savage,
Nicky Forster.

Subs:
Alex Revell
Guy Butters,
Paul Reid
Nathan Elder,
Doug Loft

And here is last night's line up:

Michel Kuipers;
Andrew Whing,
Tommy Elphick,
Joel Lynch,
Matt Richards;
Dean Cox,
Adam El-Abd,
Steven Thomson,
Ian Westlake;
Nicky Forster,
Glenn Murray.

Subs:
Kerry Mayo,
Gary Hart,
Jake Robinson
Tommy Fraser
David Martot

So Elder, Hammond, Savage have all gone. Reid, Loft & Butters can't get into the squad and Robinson no longer starts, but is in fairness doing a great job performing the "super sub" role and running at tired midfielders/defenders.

I suppose the answer to the question is that now we have a settled strike partnership that looks like it is going to score goals in every game, and a midfield stiffened up by the acquisition of Thomson and Westlake. Actually I can't help feeling these four players hold the key to our potential success in the coming months.

What is it about Westlake that Leeds can't see?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure if I added this into the 'live' thread last night but if/when Murray starts converting his chances both he and we will be absolutely fantastic.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did he score last night or was it an OG? The Sun, this morning, says it was both :dunce:

Difficult to see as I was at the back of the stand, although right behind the goal, and everyone rose to their feet. It was a bundled in effort and from where we were the main issue was whether it had gone over the line, not who had got the touch on it!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We seem to have got a bit of self-belief back and players are finding a bit more conistency, coupled with the fact that our new signings are beginning to settle in.

I am a huge fan of Westlake and thought he was crucial last night. However, we are one or two players short of being definite playoff contenders. It is a funny ol dleague this season. Doncaster heading for automatic promotion with Big Mac Trolley leading the line, Cheltenham doing the double over Leeds and no sense of shape in the top half of table and the teams contesting for the playoff spots.

One thing that struck me last night was how relaxed and happy the players looked. Substitutes can tend to look a bit miserable, particularly as they are having to warm up in the howling wind and lashing rain, but all seemed to be well. We didn't drop our heads at 1-0 down as we have done so often. I think it must be due to fluid replacements, jelly babies and the heart rate monitors. :jester:

A clear out in the Summer and some hungry signings and I think next season could be the big one. (Assuming we don't fluke it up to the Championship this season!).

Forster is doing a damn fine job as captain and I can't believe we only paid £75k for him. An absolute steal! :bowdown:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Did he score last night or was it an OG? The Sun, this morning, says it was both :dunce:

It looks like an o.g but Murray was all over the defender and may have got a touch. Either way, it was certainly his presence and pressure that led to the ball being in the back of the net.

In aswer to Simster I think that it's the fact that we now how TWO proper strikers playing that is making the difference, including one who is very adept at holding up the ball and bringing others into play. This takes the pressure off the midfield and allows the defence to reorganise into the nice 4-4-2 shape that we hold.

It's all sliding into place nicely for Wilkins and if we can get a couple of players in permanently during the summer we should be looking for the play offs easily next season. I would especially be interested in Westlake or another strong left sided player to add balance to the midfield.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Did anyone else notice the reaction of FDM at the final whistle, when he came over to applaud the fans, he looked like a man posessed...not sure by what though, how much did that victory mean to him?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
forest are a better team?
And we had no luck against them, which with the goals at least we did last night.

Murray and Forster will cause problems for any defence at this level, their touch and movement are excellent, Murray is good in the air too and Forster is still too quick for most League One defenders. Murray is not clinical though, and for the most part you'd have to say Forster hasn't been either. That is a slight worry, but they are always getting in positions and getting chances which is very encouraging, because if one (or both) of them suddenly clicks he will score a hatfull.

Thompson has been slightly inconsistent in midfield but I'm hoping that will come, when he plays well he looks good, not an eyecatching player but just someone who keeps the ball moving and the midfield ticking over. He needs a permanent partner though, Hammond would've been ideal, I thought Westlake was brought in for this purpose but it seems not.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did anyone else notice the reaction of FDM at the final whistle, when he came over to applaud the fans, he looked like a man posessed...not sure by what though, how much did that victory mean to him?

Yep - he was well pumped up and rightly so - it was a very important win and he played a vital part, particularly with those first half saves.

We broke very well with pace last night and the interplay between Cox, Forster and Murray was particularly good. So often, in the past, we seem so pedestrian when compared to other teams. That was not the case last night.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It really does not take much to get promoted out of this division. This season could be a season too soon as we are still playing catchup (although having said that, the team that scrapes into the Playoffs is often the one that ends up going the whole hog). But I am hugely optimistic for next season, because I don't think there will be many better front-pairings than Murray and Forster in this League. If we can stay solid at the back (and with Lynch / Elphick / Wing / Richards theres no reason why not if we keep them all together), then I think we'll be NAILED ON top six next season.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
In aswer to Simster I think that it's the fact that we now how TWO proper strikers playing that is making the difference, including one who is very adept at holding up the ball and bringing others into play. This takes the pressure off the midfield and allows the defence to reorganise into the nice 4-4-2 shape that we hold.

I would agree with that.
I was wrong about Forster and openly admit it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
...but they are always getting in positions and getting chances which is very encouraging, because if one (or both) of them suddenly clicks he will score a hatfull.

Exactly. I mean how many times have we seen the Albion have strikers that are not even in a position to miss (let alone score)...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Why is there still talk in some quarters of there being a need for a big clear out in the summer.

Obviously there will be a few that go, but in general the core of the squad is coming together and in many areas gaining experience together.
A clear our of 'dead wood', rather than a squad overhaul. I agree the nucleus of the squad is quite strong but we have 18? players out of contract and the majority of them aren't even close to the first team.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
A clear our of 'dead wood', rather than a squad overhaul. I agree the nucleus of the squad is quite strong but we have 18? players out of contract and the majority of them aren't even close to the first team.

It is odd though. I can see certain more senior ones going.

With regards to some of the youngsters not near the team at present, I would guess there are a few that will be kept on. For instance I really can see Chamberlain getting another year, granted he has not broken through yet, but the fact he is out of contract in the summer and has been loaned to Bognor for the rest of this season, rather than being paid up now, suggests he will be here next season. If there was any doubt he would have wanted to stay here to fight for his place or get out now so he can try and get himself sorted with another club.

I think our new transfer policy is starting to bear fruit. No longer are we looking on youth teamers and non-league players to fill the gaps in an overstretched squad. Forster, Whing, Westlake, Richards, Thomson and Murray are in a different class to our previous transfer targets.

What is also interesting that McFaul aside all the singings have been involved in the first team squad. Dixon was clearly bought to be a back up for Forster and Murray so it is not a surprise he has yet to figure much, but even he is proven at conference level.

With the countdown to Falmer now underway the club seems to have raised its sights on the pitch, so that hopefully we can have a strong team to match our new surroundings. Whatever the result of recent games, the performances have been improving and you can see a new side slowly taking shape as all the new faces are accommodated. Things look good for next season, and who knows we may still get a surprising finish to this one.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The squad's more mature overall than it was pre-January. Better forwards, a marginally better midfield, and T.Elphick coming on in leaps and bounds at the back. And the overall quality of this division is dross, which allows us to pick up points while playing what is generally acknowledged as very poor football. Somebody's got to make the play-off places, and we're no worse than anybody else. Faint praise for sure, but better than none :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here