Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why has no proper music scene ever emerged from Brighton?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There's a great music scene in Brighton, there is loads of live music of varying quality every night of the week. Pretty much every genre from Indie, metal, punk and country is covered as well as the club and hip hop scenes.

The thing I like about the Brighton music scene is that it doesn't all sound the same, bands are prepared to do what they want rather than follow a trend. As there isn't a homogenized sound it doesn't get labelled a 'scene' as such.

Anyone at the Buzzcocks gig last night would have seen two Brighton's finest open the show, the brilliant Drookit Dogs and Los Albertos.

Nail on Head :cool:

PS, Drookit Dogs are very fine

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Maybe it's because Brighton people like to get out and about their city and countryside.

I mean if you lived in alot of those northern cities is there any point going outside?

Might as well sit in ya room all day and learn to play guitar.

I am reading the memorial biography to WG Grace published in 1919. One quote which partulalrly rings true 88 year later.

...."the notorious apathy of the Brighton public"

refers to cricket butyou get my drift

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Croydon is drowning!

According to the News here in Arsessex Croydon is disappearing beneath the waves....I was considering some sort of half hearted rescue attempt a'la Dubyas effort in New Orleans...but then I thought....No.Let them become boat people, floating around the Thames basin looking for a friendly port, always being turned away because of their clown like kits..looking forward to their Orange Captain pleading for terms in Weybridge.

n.b. Hillbilly has been to the pub.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Yes..Obviously the above message was intended as a new thread,,,although it is true that I have, at best, a passing relationship with context. And I have been in the pub.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Just on Brighton's 'new found' popularity, we are frequently mentioned/appear in/on national media programmes, hence the cost of a semi is a quarter of a million pounds and upwards :rolleyes:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Especially when that band (the kooks) are actually from SEAFORD.

I would have thought Brighton has had a strong dance scene for YEARS.

Certainly hip-hop has always thrived there.

As far as SUSSEX scenes go - the best for years is ROTHERBEAT.

Youngplan are great but Mummra soory thats pooh music

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Just a theory but a lot of British musicians since the 50s are from celtic, black or jewish backgrounds. Ireland/Wales/Scotland and Manchester/Liverpool fit the first category. The third category went mainly into jazz and the second category is predominantly big city. So Brighton, like a lot of medium-sized English places, doesn't have a strong local music culture.
Sorry about the racial generalisations but English sporting crowds are as bad at singing as they are at dancing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
For all the musicians, creativity, venues and scenesters in Brighton why have we never had a proper music scene emerge similar to those from Liverpool, Manchester or Camden or even Sheffield? Even Stourbridge has had its moment.

Too easy to be a big fish in a cosy little scene in Brighton. Why try harder?

Too easy to be a big fish in a cosy little scene in Brighton. Why try harder?

It would have to be a VERY 'cosy little scene' to be worthwhile then, as becoming known by enough people to fill a pub hall, is how every band starts gaining momentum. The word obviously doesn't spread far or for long either, if 30 years of music has left us struggling to think of bands from Brighton who have made anywhere near an impression.

The bottom line is that we're shit, aaaaagghhhhhhhh

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It would have to be a VERY 'cosy little scene' to be worthwhile then, as becoming known by enough people to fill a pub hall, is how every band starts gaining momentum. The word obviously doesn't spread far or for long either, if 30 years of music has left us struggling to think of bands from Brighton who have made anywhere near an impression.

The bottom line is that we're shit, aaaaagghhhhhhhh

Rarely been many Brighton bands wanting it bad enough to slog their guts out round the shit pub circuit long enough to build a decent-sized following. And with the advent of Youtube and millions of digital yoof TV channels and the general downturn of interest in new music, there's unlikely to be many in the future either.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
So, taking Sussex as a whole, in recent years;

Keane, Suede, Cure, Kooks, Fatboy Slim, Levellers, etc. looks quite respectable.
The thing with the other towns is they are probably similar - ie are all the 'Sheffield Bands' really from Sheffield are are half of them from Rotherham, Worksop and Doncaster?

etc....

You've missed the legends that were Cutting Crew !!!, and unless I am seriously deluded wasn't Wendy James from Cuckfield ? :love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here