Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why has no proper music scene ever emerged from Brighton?

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
For all the musicians, creativity, venues and scenesters in Brighton why have we never had a proper music scene emerge similar to those from Liverpool, Manchester or Camden or even Sheffield? Even Stourbridge has had its moment.

Same reason why its taken a bloody lifetime to get a decent football ground!! The south east is generally far too middle class and lacking any serious social deprevation (yes I know there are 'some' bad areas!!). Throw in a tasty amount of working class heroes, run down areas, riots and the odd coal mine/factory and hey presto a kicking music scene.

Brighton I'm afraid just is'nt any of the above, but there are plenty of people in Brighton who try to be, just walk round the Lanes and check how many fake crusties there are for proof!!

There's a great music scene in Brighton, there is loads of live music of varying quality every night of the week. Pretty much every genre from Indie, metal, punk and country is covered as well as the club and hip hop scenes.

The thing I like about the Brighton music scene is that it doesn't all sound the same, bands are prepared to do what they want rather than follow a trend. As there isn't a homogenized sound it doesn't get labelled a 'scene' as such.

Anyone at the Buzzcocks gig last night would have seen two Brighton's finest open the show, the brilliant Drookit Dogs and Los Albertos.

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
Wer'nt Suede from Haywards Heath?

And Supergrass wern't from Brighton either, just happed to be that the singer moved here after the band became successful. I think they're from Oxford?

Yep Suede are from Haywards Heath, my god poor sods thats not 'cool' at all, and Keane are from Battle :blush:

On a more positive note, look out for Loop 2007 in Victoria Gardens on 18 August.

Check out the Hub ... featuring many artists resident in Brighton or with strong links to the city. Including my lad.

"Loop is drawing on the array of world-class technical crew and facilities available in Brighton to deliver a mouthwatering audiovisual experience throughout the day".

http://www.loopbrighton.com/

http://www.vjammallstars.com/taxonomy/term/4

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So, taking Sussex as a whole, in recent years;

Keane, Suede, Cure, Kooks, Fatboy Slim, Levellers, etc. looks quite respectable.
The thing with the other towns is they are probably similar - ie are all the 'Sheffield Bands' really from Sheffield are are half of them from Rotherham, Worksop and Doncaster?

etc....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Keane, Suede, Cure, Kooks, Fatboy Slim, Levellers, etc. looks quite respectable.
The thing with the other towns is they are probably similar - ie are all the 'Sheffield Bands' really from Sheffield are are half of them from Rotherham, Worksop and Doncaster?

etc....

Suede were not from Sussex. Brett Anderson was raised in Haywards Heath...that is all I'm afriad.

All the bands you mention are all different genres, from slightly different eras except Keane and The Kooks maybe. Again, this is not a scene but a few bands over a few years. I'm sure most cities can manage this.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton

etc....

Palace fan Norm is from Reigate

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's a great music scene in Brighton, there is loads of live music of varying quality every night of the week. Pretty much every genre from Indie, metal, punk and country is covered as well as the club and hip hop scenes.

The thing I like about the Brighton music scene is that it doesn't all sound the same, bands are prepared to do what they want rather than follow a trend. As there isn't a homogenized sound it doesn't get labelled a 'scene' as such.

Anyone at the Buzzcocks gig last night would have seen two Brighton's finest open the show, the brilliant Drookit Dogs and Los Albertos.

Totally agree with all these comments, and I for one love the Brighton music scene. All great cities have had some sort of major and influencial music scene or movement though....except us. It doesnt necessarily need to be some sort of homogenizied sound either. No one looks back at say the 1970s NYC scene and says it all sounds the same. Some bands did but The Talking Heads, New York Dolls, Ramones and Blondie all differed in some way or another.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Supergrass are from Oxford.

Wheatley just outside of Oxford in fact :thumbsup:

You can't put a relatively small town like Brighton up against major population centres like Manchester, Liverpool or Sheffield when comparing music scenes. Comparing us to Portsmouth, Oxford or Southampton would be more realistic, and I can't think of many significant bands to come out of those cities.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
as somebody mentioned earlier BIG BEAT

the big beat boutique was the night that made it big and Skint records were the ultimate big beat label, so big beat is ours.

1994-1997

it was a serious musical movement because it started as an underground club night/label and ended up with it's pinnacle, 'praise you' getting to number 1.

it's only because because skint are still going that nobody bats an eyelid - time for a book me thinks.

you could probably say that where the rest of the country went acid house crazy, Brighton kept the more balearic spirit of the tonka soundsystem and coco club and took it through to BBB, now alive in tru thoughts i'd say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here