Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why has no proper music scene ever emerged from Brighton?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For all the musicians, creativity, venues and scenesters in Brighton why have we never had a proper music scene emerge similar to those from Liverpool, Manchester or Camden or even Sheffield? Even Stourbridge has had its moment.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
I think dance music has always been the main scene in brighton. Just one of those things I suppose

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Hang on, weren't the Levellers at the front of the Brighton Tramps and Pikeys scene of the early 1990's?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
There is a fairly large underground hip hop scene if your interested :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They were from Brighton, hardly a movement though... I dont think you will shortly see a Q special marking 20 years of 'the Brighton Tramps and Pikeys' scene.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is a fairly large underground hip hop scene if your interested :)

I am aware of this. A friend helps run Slipjam. Whilst I welcome things like this it isnt a major scene or a movement to emerge from Brighton....which is what my email is about.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
They were from Brighton, hardly a movement though... I dont think you will shortly see a Q special marking 20 years of 'the Brighton Tramps and Pikeys' scene.

:laugh:punk::guitar::guitar::guitar:

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Becuase Brighton has never needed a so called movement. The city has consistantly provided some of the best music around for decades.

a 'movement' is created by the media ie 'madchester' etc.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Brighton DID have a bit of 'scene' back in the late 70s but whilst it was fun it was also a little bit crappy musically-speaking. The NME once remarked: "First there was punk, then there was bands from Brighton."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Becuase Brighton has never needed a so called movement. The city has consistantly provided some of the best music around for decades.

a 'movement' is created by the media ie 'madchester' etc.

Not sure I agree. It would be nice if a gang of groups come up through the bars and clubs of Brighton, changed the landscape a bit and left a mark on the history of British music.

And wrt to your last comment whilst the media provide the labels, they do not provide the bands. Madchester was not created by the media...they simply labelled it. Likewise Britpop.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton DID have a bit of 'scene' back in the late 70s but whilst it was fun it was also a little bit crappy musically-speaking. The NME once remarked: "First there was punk, then there was bands from Brighton."

I guess so. I do remember the Attrix records thing and Vaultage 78, 79 etc.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They are too, aren't they? Madly.

Come to think of it, if you include Suede, then even Crawley's produced more really big bands than Brighton!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here