Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why don't you all shut up and consider this!!!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Yes it was shit today bloody awful but we still have a Brighton and Hove Albion today 12 years ago we were staring oblivion in the face no ground no cash, and no future if we went down.

So get real get positive...!!
Good call, HB&B. Hear, Hear! Too many NSC posters seem pathologically incapable of taking the long view. Maybe that ability only comes after years of suffering various Albion embarrassments, indignities and relegations. Relieved now and again by the occasional promotion.

Think of it this way: In 20 years time, how will Albion fans of the future remember the DK era? For an honest mistake over Micky Adams? For decisions concerning Dean Wilkins? For a seven game losing streak at Withdean ? For being beaten 0-4 in February 2009 - by Crewe Alexandra?

No, I prefer to imagine they'll be glad that at least one lifelong Albion fan had the balls, back in the distant 1990s, to get up on his feet, take on corrupt directors and spearhead the task of rescuing the club from oblivion. And after that, devoting more than a decade to securing the Albion's future for the next hundred years.

For those fans, being able to enjoy Albion games (yes, yes, even the defeats) in a superb 21st century stadium will render this season's ups and downs as so much totally forgettable, utterly meaningless trivia.

People need to get a grip.

Last edited:

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Sorry to piss on peoples bonfire but we are not a big club, never have been. Even the glory years we struggled in the 1st division, we fluked an FA cup final appearance (much the same as Cardiff and Portsmouth did last year). When we got back to the Championship we struggled, partly due to the lack of a ground which meant less money coming in. Last years position was another lucky season but although we finished 7th we were still 7 points off a play off spot. Most other seasons that would have put us about 10th or 11th.

At most the best we have been is probably the best of the also rans. Sure, we had a good run in the 70s up the league, the same as we did with the back to back championships a few years ago, but honestly who would have expected us to win the second one at the start of the season? We had a bit of luck and players willing to grind out a result, partly down to a mix of experienced players and enthusiatic young players willing to give their all for the club.

No team can say they are too big for the league they play in, they are there because of results. In Leeds all you hear is they are too big for league one, im sorry but they are not and this season has proved it. The same as if/when we take another spell in League 2, we are there due to results. Not down to point deductions or ay other reason. But if the players feel they are better than League 2 then its down to them to prove it, and either get the results NOW to keep us up or prove it next season and bring home some silverware

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
...although we finished 7th we were still 7 points off a play off spot.

I personally stand against Dean's untimely removal but you do hilight a point I hadn't considered. The 'finished 7th' thing has been banded about as if we only just missed out. Although the way we're currently scrambling for points brings that sharply into focus.

As far as the bigger picture is concerned someone made the point on here a couple of days ago (apologies to the author for forgetting who) that we as a fanbase have had so many protracted battles to fight that we now have an inherent militant tendency which needs to be satiated any which way. I can't pretend that I'm not concerned about this as DK and the board having already made (to me) a couple of very impulsive decisions may be made to make more.

D

Deleted User X18H

Alright some clubs at our equivalent level now play in regional leagues and we'd be happy with this would we ???

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
we not in this mess beacuse of our home form or away form we are in this mess because the players have not performed this season they need to look at themselves and get it sorted.

Yes the fans have a right to moan they pay the money, i moan when things go wrong but i also clap and prasie when things go right.

Why carn't we look back in the past at good times thats what memories are for, as for the here and now the only thing that us the fans should be doing is giving the team 100% support to help them climb the table

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It is precisely because I don't want to end up like Maidstone that people I am angry at this sick joke of a season. The cause of it is not our the lack of a stadium, it is down to bad decisions and poor management and it was totally avoidable. We had the same financial constraints when we finished 7th. As for 'remember Hereford etc'. We didn't battle through those days to mildly accept and attempt to excuse what we have seen this season.

Yes, we should get behind the team in the next few games, but if we can't moan and be angry after at a 0-4 home defeat in a relagation 6-pointer against the mighty Crewe when the fxxx can we?

Maidstone, Boston or Scarborough fans should count themselves LUCKY - there are starving children in Africa, and people are still tortured.

Do we really have to compare ourselves with the extremely unlucky, to have a perspective on watching our team lose every week?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Give a thought to what Maidstone, Boston or Scarborough fans are doing tonight ...........crying into their f***ing beer that's what.

They don't have a Football Club anymore, no they were never as big a clubs as us but they had as shit finances as us but know one bailed them out.

We do not have the born right because we are trendy Brighton (that's a laugh) to have a team in the higher echelons of the English Leagues, but we do have some major positives going on a new stadium for one.......soon and we spend money real money on new players AND are just one point off safety.

Yes it was shit today bloody awful but we still have a Brighton and Hove Albion today 12 years ago we were staring oblivion in the face no ground no cash, and no future if we went down.

So get real get positive and get to Bristol R or Orient if you can!!
Thats just a pure negative attitude i would exspect on here,so shall we look at clubs like reading and hull etc etc who have moved on and doing well?

You can look back and sulk but many of us have ambitions for the club to move forwards and don't keep looking back as if we are supposed to be gratefull everytime things go tits up:glare:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Thats just a pure negative attitude i would exspect on here,so shall we look at clubs like reading and hull etc etc who have moved on and doing well?

You can look back and sulk but many of us have ambitions for the club to move forwards and don't keep looking back as if we are supposed to be gratefull everytime things go tits up:glare:

And what have they got that we haven't? - a new or suitable stadium capable of supporting a team that can challenge for and survive in a higher division that we are in.

The people who look at them and can't see why we arn't doing the same are the type of people who can't understand why you can't fit a pint into a 1/2 pint glass, just because others in the pub have pints.

Yes we should be greatful we are still in business, and yes we nearly did and still could go out of business as we are running at a big loss every season at Withdean, so how do you propose we pay for all your pipe dreams until Falmer is up and running?

Patience is whats needed, not bickering and squabbling, or the current blame culture we have at the club.

At least we still have a club that can go tits up, thanks to people like Knight, and the rest of the board who have managed to keep the club alive

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
yes indeed (change of subject) I remember well, fluking a win at Anfield and St James Park, I also remember the flukey 4 nil win over Man City

:lolol: I wasn't around at the time, but that's exactly what I was thinking! Wasn't their a flukey thrashing of Norwich or someone too?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Dick has fcuked up in his more recent handling of the club, with mistake after mistake:

Wendy's sacking
Micky's sacking without a replacement lined-up and the timing of same (got lucky with Millwall result)
Going public with his offer to Gannon
Appointing Clown and County League to run the club

Awful management and the fans are rijht to moan...

Sorry, but this is a total fcuking mess...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
And don't think that just by getting in to Falmer that will be the end of the story and we will all live happily ever after.
Take a look at what is happening at Darlington right now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Too many NSC posters seem pathologically incapable of taking the long view. Maybe that ability only comes after years of suffering various Albion embarrassments, indignities and relegations. Relieved now and again by the occasional promotion.

Yup. It's always been that way too. I don't know why people were so short sighted back in the Archer/Belotti/Stanley days. They got all worked up over them selling the ground for personal profit, not having a home to move into, almost sending us into administration. Pointless. They should have looked at the bigger picture.

If Archer et al hadn't done their thing, we'd be in a crappy, crumbly football stadium in league 2 sitting idly by as we coast from season to season. Did they think of that? No, they all got so worked up, so negative about the very people who took us to Wembley. Instead of just sitting back and looking at the bigger picture they get all angry and spread their negativity.

Thanks to Archer and Bellotti this club evolved and grew and now we've joined an elite group of clubs to win back to back championships, have a sparkly new stadium on the way.

If only those people had looked at the bigger picture...

But people didn't want to think of that back then, they didn't want to look at the bigger picture

Last years position was another lucky season but although we finished 7th we were still 7 points off a play off spot.
The 'finished 7th' thing has been banded about as if we only just missed out.

In the lead up to christmas we were looking good for the play offs, then the squad got ripped apart and after a period of rebuilding we started making a challenge for the play offs again. I believe we were even in he play off spots at one point. We were the last team to be mathematically ruled out of the play offs.

The disruption to the squad ruined our play off hopes. The 7th place finished is "banded about as if we only just missed out" because had it not been for several players and DK/the board conspiring to ruin the squad's good form, we would have made the play offs.

Even if you take the play off's out of the picture, the fact remains out of a division of 24 teams, last year we were seventh best. We got the results that put us in that place. We didn't fluke it, you don't fluke an entire season.

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Give a thought to what Maidstone, Boston or Scarborough fans are doing tonight ...........crying into their f***ing beer that's what.

They don't have a Football Club anymore, no they were never as big a clubs as us but they had as shit finances as us but know one bailed them out.

We do not have the born right because we are trendy Brighton (that's a laugh) to have a team in the higher echelons of the English Leagues, but we do have some major positives going on a new stadium for one.......soon and we spend money real money on new players AND are just one point off safety.

So get real get positive and get to Bristol R or Orient if you can!!

Are you going to the Bristol Rovers game on Tuesday then ? your telling everyone else to go, so I have to assume you are......

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
The 7th place finished is "banded about as if we only just missed out" because had it not been for several players and DK/the board conspiring to ruin the squad's good form, we would have made the play offs.

Is this the same DK and Board who gave Wilkins the money to sign Murray, Thomson, McFaul, Dixon, Racon and Westlake? Or another one?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is this the same DK and Board who gave Wilkins the money to sign Murray, Thomson, McFaul, Dixon, Racon and Westlake? Or another one?

The same one. The same DK who fired Wilkins after he improved tremendously on his first half season in charge.

People are complex, they do good things, they do bad things, sometimes unintentionally, sometimes in a calculated risk that doesn't come off, sometimes out of spite.

I didn't put DK and the board in there to start an argument. If you note, I also include several players. They all played a part in disrupting the squad, and that disruption led to a poor run of form that ruined our chances of promotion, a poor run of form that didn't prevent us finishing above 17 other teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here