Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why does the impending relegation feel worse than 2 years ago?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Strange isnt it

Is it because we showed so much promise early doors and have now royally f***ed it up

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes because it was so easy to avoid. I honestly thought we had seen the bad times in this division and would build slowly from last season with youth and reserves coming through, and finish about 6 - 8 from bottom.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I reckon mainly because we had gone up two seasons in a row and obviously draws at home to barnet, swansea etc... we still fresh in the mind, and haveing lost 12 games in a row so early on it was just expected to atleast have a good fight for it which we did, this year its more dissapointing as we have beaten big name teams recently like west ham, sunderland and leeds and its just dissapointing that we can beat them but lose to crap teams like crewe. In august and september after the plymouth and leeds games i really though we were going to finish midtable as we were playing well and seem to be scoreing more than one goal a game.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Because the last relegation was so recent?
Because there was an (unrealistic) expectation to stay up?
Because now we have been given Falmer, people (wrongly) assume everything should be rosy?
Because we are good enough to stay up, and haven't bothered our arses proving it?
Because of a mini Civil War on here, implying not all fans are facing in the same direction?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
BensGrandad said:
Yes because it was so easy to avoid. I honestly thought we had seen the bad times in this division and would build slowly from last season with youth and reserves coming through, and finish about 6 - 8 from bottom.

If we didn't have to sell players of the quality of Virgo and Currie, you'd be right. It's too early to expect the likes of Gatting, Lynch, CKR, etc to be making a big impression at this level. When we went down in 2003 we'd tried to play a number of youngsters (Hammond, Hinshelwood, Virgo, Wilkinson, Marney) early on in the season, but they weren't good enough. Three of those five have proved their worth. It's pretty rare to find a Peter Ward (or Wayne Rooney) who immediately make their mark.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because under Steve Coppell we had pattern, fight, organisation, spirit and hope.

These are commodities which any good manager can instill in a team with a little man-management and coaching. This does not cost money. Sadly McGhee does not have these attributes and has eroded all of these qualities, steadily built up under a number of managers, from the squad.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Because we are boring old whingers who are two years older.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
simple...because we know we're not good enough for this division!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
Because the last relegation was so recent?
Because there was an (unrealistic) expectation to stay up?
Because now we have been given Falmer, people (wrongly) assume everything should be rosy?
Because we are good enough to stay up, and haven't bothered our arses proving it?
Because of a mini Civil War on here, implying not all fans are facing in the same direction?

1. Why was it unrealistic to expect to stay up?
2. We haven't got Falmer yet.
3. Whose fault is it that the [players haven't fought to prove they are good enouigh to stay up. Is it anybody on here to blame?
4. Because some fans can see that all is not rosy in the garden how does that affect the way the players play., or the managers manage or the coaches coach.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Tell us a joke BG. :)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Because of the lack of PASSION shown by the players.

Not being good enough is one thing - not giving 100% is IMO unforgiveable.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
dougdeep said:

Here is one:

I thought that:
2005/06 season 6th - 8th from bottom
2006/07 season midtable
2007/08 just outside play offs
2008/09 just outside play offs or possibly in play offs.
2009/10 Falmer opened reach play off and lose, not reach final.
2010/11 Promoted to Premiership.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
to answer Dave's original point I think it is because having stayed up last year, we really thought that it was clear where we needed strengthening and we haven't done it.

Also for me, I can enjoy watching poor football when I am having a laugh and joke at the game but this year I really feel that not all supporters are pulling in the same direction and that many (not just on here) have a higher opinion on what the reality should be than is possible at the moment. Going to games this year at times has been almost purgatory due to the wave of negativity exuded by some of the more vociferous voices in the albion society.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We cannot seem to attract players, whether we did for them or not is contentious.

After the Plymouth game I though we would do really well but clearly it was a false dawn.

Still we ain't out of it yet but a win must happen in the next two games - Plymouth away or Preston at home - not easy.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Because in 2002/3 it was very clear that had Coppell been apointed before the start of that season we would have comfortably avoided relegation i.e basically that squad was good enough for the Championship. Also we thought that should Bobby Z go we'd have some money for a replacement (turned out to be Leon). Overall we thought- rightly as it turned out- that we'd have a good season in D1 with a fair chance of getting straight back.

None of these points seem to apply now IMO. :(

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
dougdeep said:

Man arrives home from work to find his wife packing her cases and he asks "what are you doing" going to Las Vegas because what I do for you I can get paid $100 for.

Next day wife arrives home husband is packing his case she asks "what are you doing" Going to Las Vegas to see how you will live on $200 a year.

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
Because last time we were relegated, we put up a much stronger fight after looking like we were going to go down with a whimper. :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here