Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does McGhee want to use our last loan on Benjamin?

Lush

Mods' Pet
On Seagulls World McGhee says that he will use our last loan on Benjamin, If Micky gives permission.

I can't understand why - especially now that we have Iwelumo until the end of the season.

Surely we have McPhee/Robinson as cover? Is there such a dearth of loan players available that we should grab a decent one, no matter what position?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
seeing as Leon's going to Stoke :p (allegedly)

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
Yep have to agree with you on this one........................I thought it a great move getting Iwelumo after the loss of Benjamin, but now we have him surely it would be better to strengthen our midfield with perhaps someone like Yeates on a loan till the end of the season.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe he thnks that having two big guys up front with Leon would be pretty f***ing good. I certainly do. Piercy, Chippy and Charlie in midfield with the back 4 as it is.

I'd take that.

isabellas father

Jul 25, 2003
Shepherds bush
Benji would be a short term fix as Chris cannot be match fit with so little first team action. He needs to be eased into the team gradually and therefore having Benji for another month gives us good options.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm much rather see the midfield bolstered with a loan signing. McGhee favours 4-4-2, so I don't really see the point of having Benjamin back on loan unless he is thinking of radically changing our system. Bejamin, Iwelumo and Knight would be a pretty bold 4-3-3, but I'm not sure Virgo and Harding are good enough as "raiding" fullbacks to provide the width we'd need with that system.

Nope, final loan signing for MIDFIELD please Mr M.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
isabellas father said:
Benji would be a short term fix as Chris cannot be match fit with so little first team action. He needs to be eased into the team gradually and therefore having Benji for another month gives us good options.

agree with this. maybe he thinks the midfield is ok, now piercy can move back into that position aswell.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry, but I have great difficulty imagining Benjamin as a winger. He's a big lumbering ox who is built purely for crashing around in the penalty area and causing havoc. Skipping past the opposition fullback and sprinting to the byline before whipping in a cross is not an asset I saw in any of his 10 games here.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
isabellas father said:
Iwelumo has been playing regularly in the reserves and on loan at York, so he should be match fit and ready to step straight into the team. There's only 10 games left now, so there's hardly time for him to be "eased into the team gradually". With no Benjamin, we need him in that team from 7.45 TONIGHT.

isabellas father

Jul 25, 2003
Shepherds bush
Easy 10 said:
Iwelumo has been playing regularly in the reserves and on loan at York, so he should be match fit and ready to step straight into the team. There's only 10 games left now, so there's hardly time for him to be "eased into the team gradually". With no Benjamin, we need him in that team from 7.45 TONIGHT.

I would love this to be true as we need more pace and invention in midfield but reserve team football usually means at least a couple of weeks to get match fit.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I can only assume that he thinks we have adequate cover for our first choice midfield four of Jones, Hart, Chippy, Oatway ie Piercy, Lee (wtf), Mayo??? Virgo??? poss. Knight or Robinson???

Last edited:

baz

Jul 7, 2003
My suggestion is to get no one at this stage. I agree that midfield is more of a priority at the moment, but the position is not desperate. We will almost certainly get a key injury in midfield or attack, enough cover in defence I think. If this happens we will be able to bring someone in to a specific position required.

No point in getting Benji now as he would have to go back half way through April. Iwelumo must be fit enough to last an hour, with Piercy providing adequate cover for the last 30.

The point was made that if a central midfielder gets injured we have no replacement.

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
yep think the midfield would be nice to strengthened but we have got quite a few players who can play there, piercy will have a big role in the run in and all need to be on top form if we are really to challenge...
so think that getting benj back would be good, with chris maybe a little unfit be nice to have choice but still feel we have Mc Phee, think the winning goal in play off final would get him a place in the side ???, you do the math Mcghee !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here