Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Why does everyone hate Bono?"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Feel free to donate a few million yourself, Bono.

Is this the same Bono that is responsible for BILLIONS of pounds of aid going towards famine. You're right, he doesn't do enough, look at all The Killers work for chari...oh. Well how about Rio Ferdinand's humanitari...ah.

Bono is pretty low down the list of "celebrities who could do more to use their power for good". Pretty near the bottom actually.

Lewes' best seagull

Jan 31, 2008
Why is it always the richest people telling the world to help the poor?

I'm not suggesting he's going to give away his fortune entirely, but it always sounds a bit trite to me to hear one of the richest men in Ireland nagging the rest of us about helping other people. Feel free to donate a few million yourself, Bono.

He's NOT in Ireland, that's the problem.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Apologise this post should really end this thread

Another poor victim of the U2-Coldplay crossover that has so blighted this nation this past few years....remember the public service announcements...switch yourself to a non-Glastonbury aligned channel and take the batteries out of your remote until Sunday morning.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't as he has done a load of voluntary work on famine relief - top man in my opinion

This, some people just can't stand somebody who uses their fame to improve this lives of others, he's not an attention seeking media whore, he's just doing what most of us wish we could do.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When you compare him to Sting I don't dislike him quite as much

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
Tax Dodging....???...that would be the same tax dodge as every premiership player I would imagine...I wonder how much is kept in this country and how much is syphed off to a tax haven......

Spacegull

Sehr Kosmiche.
Feb 22, 2009
High Weald
A Sanctimonious hypocrite with a messiah complex who uses the suffering of others to inflate his ego and bank account.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Typical, thread like this you always get a large number of self righteous idiots jumping on the trendy bus. Yes there are probably some who genuinely dislike the guy but most of them probably don't really give it two hoots. He is a rock star and how many rock stars are not pretentious and have a high opinion of themselves? As for his 'charitable' work, irrespective of how much he contributes, and let's be honest, we don't know how much of his personal wealth he does contribute, the main point of his involvement is to draw attention to issues which he does quite successfully. Much like Geldof, how much of his wealth does he contribute, probably not a lot, but what he does do is raise the media profile of issues. Could Bono do better, almost certainly, but he could also do a lot worse like most bands.

As for someone suggesting they have only had two good songs since Joshua Tree then I presume you have forgotten how to count or you are just a computer programmer!!!! I not a mad fan of U2 but there are plenty of tracks I like since Joshua Tree.

Still, if the trendy bus says you must not like Bono and you've got an annual pass for the ride then I suppose you have to follow the views of your fellow passengers. Still if they are as bad as most of you suggest, makes you wonder how they were the most successful touring band last year!!!

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I do hate him i dont hate many people, hate is such a strong word.

I used to love U2 there old stuff was amazing, there new stuff is dog shit, i dunno about the tax dodging but dont sound to clever considering what is going on over there, that said he has done monumental amounts for charity all over the world.

I think he is a bit of a dick just dont like the way acts at times

A few years back and after years of hating Sting with a passion I ended up doing a charity gig for his missus at which Sting and his band played. To my huge disapointment he was a really nice guy, friendly, chatty and happy to hang out with us 'crew' bods pissing about and talking rubbish.
Don't you hate it when your hate figures turn out to be nice.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A few years back and after years of hating Sting with a passion I ended up doing a charity gig for his missus at which Sting and his band played. To my huge disapointment he was a really nice guy, friendly, chatty and happy to hang out with us 'crew' bods pissing about and talking rubbish.
Don't you hate it when your hate figures turn out to be nice.

Please don't tell me this, I had him down as the smuggest most self righteous pop star of all time :down:

Jameson

I despair of this type of "hate" stuff; it's so typical of attitudes to musicians, usually by the music industry, that decides someone or something's past it sell by date. Usually led by untalented media types with about as much musical talent as my dog. And as for "tax dodging", that's a laugh. All they are doing is making sure that they don't pay any more tax than they legally have to. Like the rest of us. I get more pissed off with people I know who illegally work for cash therefore avoiding income tax, VAT and corporation tax then live it up in big houses and swanky cars while the rest of us have to pay for their NHS, armed forces, benefit claimants etc. And how much are the sanctimonious twats who seem to know better giving back to charity either in cash or effort? F**K all so the next time someone says he's a smug cock, perhaps he's earned the right to be so.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Bono was onstage in Glasgow, he starts speaking to the mike and clapping his hands very slowly above his head "Every toime oi clap me hands, a choild dies in Africa" says Bono

"Well then, stop clapping your f***ing hands then you ****" says a fella in the crowd
Brilliant,that made me laugh out loud!
He just comes over as a smug sanctimonious twat.Can't stand the bloke.....wouldn't mind his dosh tho'!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here