Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Why does everyone hate Bono?"

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
U2 were superb in the early days and their albums got better and better but after the Joshua tree it starting going down hill for me.

Nail on head.

I don't hate the guy, i appreciate the good he does in the world but he doesn't have to bang on about it all the time. If you constantly repeat the same message to the same people it becomes lost. Keep helping Bono but shut the hell up about it.

Too long has he been standing too close to the edge.

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
A question just asked to me by my girlfriend. But how do you even begin to explain this without just saying "He's a prize cock".

So if you hate Bono, try to explain why that is for me....

I remember several years ago there was a documentary on t.v exploring poverty in a certain country, of which i cant remember.Take a wild guess at who was doing the exploring, none other than that prick himself ,dressed in a Ten Gallon Hat, snake skinned boots probably £1000 a pair, and a gorgous leather waist-coat,somehow i just dont think he really got it. the term ALL FOR SELF springs to mind, that convinced me enough!

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
That'll be the same ten gallon hat he forgot once, but it was all alright - he sent his private jet to pick it up for him

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Nail on head.

I don't hate the guy, i appreciate the good he does in the world but he doesn't have to bang on about it all the time. If you constantly repeat the same message to the same people it becomes lost. Keep helping Bono but shut the hell up about it.

Too long has he been standing too close to the edge.

Ssshhhhhhhhhhh! He doesn't like to. Talk about his charity work.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stolen from twitter;

What's the difference between God and Bono?

You'd never catch God walking round Glastonbury, pretending to be Bono.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
U2 were superb in the early days and their albums got better and better but after the Joshua tree it starting going down hill for me.

Yeah, I wouldn't call myself a fan at all but I think they peaked with that album. I like about 2 songs they've done since then.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This, plus the awful soulessness of U2's music and the fact that I blame Bono for Chris Martin.

Your worst nightmare has just unfolded on BBC2. Bono was singing 'Yellow' at Glastonbury.

I couldn't find the remote quick enough, caught most of the first verse :facepalm:

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Serious point here. Because he spouts about good causes when he is a tax dodger. Do as I say not as I do. If he really believed in anything apart from himself, he would use his own money and not deprive the Irish Welfare State.

Why anyone in power gives the hyprocrite any time of day...

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Your worst nightmare has just unfolded on BBC2. Bono was singing 'Yellow' at Glastonbury.

I couldn't find the remote quick enough, caught most of the first verse :facepalm:

Another poor victim of the U2-Coldplay crossover that has so blighted this nation this past few years....remember the public service announcements...switch yourself to a non-Glastonbury aligned channel and take the batteries out of your remote until Sunday morning.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Tax dodging? Call me naiive, but could please explain further.

Ireland used to have a very generous tax regime for artists, in fact they paid bugger all.

They then decided this was a rather generous arrangement for multi-millionaires like Bono and made them pay tax like everyone else.

U2 moved then moved their publishing arm abroad to avoid it.

Now as "The Edge" says - they were simply being "Tax Efficient", but next time he rattles his charity tin....

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Bono is an amazing man. Certainly achieved much more than all his detractors which are again out in force on this thread. Fair enough I'd you don't like their music but don't call it rubbish or souless. That's just stupidity. One of the biggest bands in rock history - you don't get that acclaim overnight or for a couple of hit singles. I don't especially like the Beatles but I recognise they were a great band, arguably the greatest.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why is it always the richest people telling the world to help the poor?

I'm not suggesting he's going to give away his fortune entirely, but it always sounds a bit trite to me to hear one of the richest men in Ireland nagging the rest of us about helping other people. Feel free to donate a few million yourself, Bono.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's because he tells everyone to end world poverty, then you hear someone stole clothes from his room and there's a pair of $5000 jeans as part of the missing items.

... and it's all kicked off at Glasto.

AFP: protest at U2 Glastonbury show turns violent

'Tax dodge' protest at U2 Glastonbury show turns violent

(AFP) – 38 minutes ago

GLASTONBURY, United Kingdom — Violence erupted in the crowd watching U2's debut performance at Britain's Glastonbury festival Friday, as security guards foiled a protest against the Irish rockers' tax status.

As the band came on stage to play to around 50,000 revellers, campaign group Art Uncut inflated a 20-foot (six-metre) balloon emblazoned with the message "U Pay Your Tax 2."

But as they tried to release it over the crowd, a team of 10 security guards waded into the crowd and wrestled them to the ground before deflating the balloon and taking it away.

The intervention took place after U2's first song "Until The End of The World" and sparked clashes between some 30 protesters and security guards. No arrests were made.

One campaigner, who did not give his name, said: "Political activism used to belong at Glastonbury. This was all going to be completely peaceful."

But the violence did not stop U2 rattling through an array of their smash hits, including "I Still Haven't Found What I am Looking For" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday".

Frontman Bono was wearing his trademark sunglasses and the heavy rain that poured down during the band's set did not seem to affect his performance.

Art Uncut had earlier announced their plans to protest against U2, whose frontman is more used to receiving plaudits for a crusade to tackle African debt, poverty and disease.

"Bono is well known for his anti-poverty campaigning but Art Uncut is accusing him of hypocrisy," campaigner Charlie Dewar said.

"U2's multimillion-euro tax dodge is depriving the Irish people at a time when they desperately need income to offset the Irish government's savage austerity programme."

The group said U2 had switched their tax affairs from Ireland to the Netherlands to pay less tax following a change in the law in 2006.

Ireland needed a massive international financial bailout last year after falling into heavy debt when a property bubble burst.

U2 -- who were unable to headline Glastonbury last year after Bono was rushed to hospital for emergency back surgery -- were not available for comment.

Around 170,000 revellers are expected this weekend at the dairy farm in Somerset, southwest England, where the world's largest greenfield music and performing arts jamboree is held.

Earnest British rockers Coldplay headline on Saturday night and R&B superstar Beyonce takes the honours on Sunday.

[yt]7EcGIrWiYRM[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here