Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Does Andy Naylor Hate Us So Much?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Why cant he just except we can get on without mcghee instead of making cheap jibes bigging him up and saying how crap wilkins is, when wendy is doing a great job

stop putting down players, trying to pull the team apart you TOSSER

Stop trying to use your opinion as fact

:angry: :angry:

Gatting shines for Seagulls

By Andy Naylor

IT has taken a year and he is still a long way from the finished article but Joe Gatting is gradually realising his goal-scoring potential.

Former manager Mark McGhee, his options limited, threw Gatting in at the deep end in the Championship last season.

It was a big ask and it remains a big ask for a 19-year-old to lead the line in League One.

Dean Wilkins' hands are also tied for the time being, especially now that Alex Revell is ruled out by long-term damage.

The only other out-and-out strikers in a squad ravaged by injuries and illness are Jake Robinson, the unproven Nathan Elder and out-of-favour Maheta Molango.

Supporters find it hard to appreciate hold-up target men like Gatting unless they are scoring regularly, so the fans have not really warmed to him yet.

They soon will if he continues his current streak. He has now bagged all of Albion's three goals in the last six games since Christmas.

He netted in the home defeats last month against Yeovil and Carlisle. This time he earned the Seagulls an overdue, precious and richly deserved victory.

Sam Rents was the set-piece provider once more five minutes into the second half.

His corner was flicked on by captain Dean Hammond for Gatting to clip in at the far post from close range.

It was the kind of poacher's effort which made Gatting so prolific at youth team level and it ended a collective goal drought of more than six hours, stretching back to the Carlisle match.

It would be unfair and unrealistic to regard Gatting as the answer in the short-term to Albion's problems.

He could, however, in the long run develop into the type of dependable servant his dad Steve used to be in the Seagulls' defence.

Whether the same can be said of Wayne Henderson is doubtful. The keeper paid the price for his late slip at Bournemouth and partial culpability for Millwall's winner at Withdean in the previous game.

Michel Kuipers, so popular with some supporters, celebrated his first start since November with Albion's first clean sheet in the League since October.

Take nothing away from the big Dutchman. His handling was exemplary and his kicking weakness was excused on this occasion by the fierce wind blowing into his face in the first half.

But so well did his team-mates defend in front of him that Kuipers was never called upon to demonstrate his attributes as a shot-stopper.

Henderson must be cursing his luck as he contemplates his future. The fact of the matter is he will never win over his detractors among the fans.

He will realise as well that his position as Republic of Ireland No. 2 behind Shay Given could be damaged beyond repair if he cannot get into a League One team for a prolonged period.

Albion desperately need to sign players, not lose them, but the departure of Henderson during what is left of the January transfer window, or the loan period from early February through to late March, cannot be ruled out.

Chesterfield, considering they were previously unbeaten at home in the League for three months, were woeful and Albion could easily have won more comfortably.

Even in a first half of dogged defending against the elements they came closest to scoring.

Dean Cox reminded us of his audacious talent with two speculative volleys from long range in a matter of minutes. The first dipped on to the top of the crossbar, the second just over it.

Once Gatting had scored Albion went close to a second. Rents, his left-back spot under renewed threat with the arrival of Zoumana Bakayogo, hit the far post with another inswinging corner and, from the rebound, poked just wide after barging his way goalwards.

Robinson's drought continued. Michael Jordan robbed him when he tried to round Chesterfield's young keeper and he blazed high and wide when well-placed from a typically incisive Cox pass.

Robinson has been lively enough in the last two matches to suggest he is a goal away from another scoring burst.

So what pleased Wilkins more, ending the scoring or clean sheet famine?

"I'd have to say both because that has been our failing, both ends of the pitch.

"Between both penalty areas we are probably as good a side as any in the League on our day, in terms of getting the ball from back to front with some good movement and good quality passing, but where we have fallen down is in both penalty areas.

"We have leaked goals and failed to score goals so I will take a 1-0 every day of the week."

Wilkins is too cute to let one victory paper over the cracks. He has a squad of inexperienced prospects and fantastic servants whose best days are behind them, with nothing in-between.

That is a situation which has to be addressed between now and the start of next season but Wilkins needs help from chairman and Dick Knight and the Board. Twentysomethings with a track record do not come cheap.

ALBION (4-4-2): Michel Kuipers (GK), Gary Hart (RB), Joel Lynch (CB), Guy Butters (CB), Sam Rents (LB), Tommy Fraser (RM), Adam El-Abd (CM), Dean Hammond (CM), Dean Cox (LM), Joe Gatting (CF), Jake Robinson (CF). Subs: Nathan Elder (for Gatting, 83), Wayne Henderson, Alex Frutos, Richard Carpenter, Tommy Elphick.

CHESTERFIELD (4-4-2): Michael Jordan (GK), Phil Picken (RB), Ruben Hazel (CB), Aaron Downes (CB), Gareth Davies (LB), Adam Smith (RM), Mark Allott (CM), Derek Niven (CM), Peter Holmes (LM), Paul Shaw (CF), Caleb Folan (CF). Subs: Paul Hall (for Davies, 64), Colin Larkin (for Shaw, 86), Kyle Critchell (for Niven, 86), Barry Roche, Janos Kovacs.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What exactly is wrong with that article?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Dave the Gaffer said:
What exactly is wrong with that article?

Loads

We won a game, played well the fans were brilliant

So he tells the match winner he's not great and the fans dont like him

Instead of saying Gatting has scored 2 goals before saturday, he has to also put in we lost at home to make wilkins look worse

Saying Henderson will never win over the fans to try and force him out, and telling him to move on

Why not let Wilkins take in some of the glory of a great away win, instead of saying whats wrong with him and the team

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
BIRCHYBOY27 said:
I agree totally fair.
I wasn't at the game but that article seems fine to me, can't quite see what any fuss would be about?

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
mendoza10 said:
Loads

Instead of saying Gatting has scored 2 goals before saturday, he has to also put in we lost at home to make wilkins look worse

Saying Henderson will never win over the fans to try and force him out, and telling him to move on

Why not let Wilkins take in some of the glory of a great away win, instead of saying whats wrong with him and the team

exactly. He's on a major shot stirring session with the Henderson situation. NO player should be guarenteed a place in the starting line up. Henderson is a very good keeper but he needs to know that his place is under threat if he doesn't perform. We haven't had a clean sheet since October and the defence seems to be making mistakes, maybe it's down to communication which I believe Kuipers is better at. Clean sheet on sat in a game where they didn't have many shots shows maybe more organisation in the defence. Could Hendo learn something to help him become the better keeper all round?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Fair piece to me.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
mendoza10 said:
Loads

But Gatting gets abuse at every home game ( and on here)

Henderson has been booed off the pitch, gets abuse on here and I agree with naylor...if he wants to continue in international football he must be playing...if people hate him so much here, then if I was him I would offski.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I thought it was well balanced too, nothing there that I would disagree with, especially the bit about the make up of our squad. If you look at the team which started on Saturday, eight home grown players, two who have played the majority of their professional careers with the Albion and only Tank bringing in experience gained elsewhere.

I am still optimistic about the future, we managed to hit a poor run of form in the run up to and during the transfer window, thus improving our chances of fending off unwanted interest in our young starlets. As soon as the window closes again we will go on a fine run of form and mid-table obscurity that we all yearn will be within our grasp, mark my words!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Seems fine to me.

There is, of course, one other way of solving the Henderson situation. If this manager (like the previous one) believes the Irishman is the best of the two, then sell Kuipers who must be one of the club's highest earners.

Frees up money for where it's needed more.

Some fans would go ballistic, but with FDM out of the way Henderson could concentrate on his job without constant unfair criticism.

It would seem far more sensible to retain a young international who could be pretty valuable in future than a good lower division keeper who's already at his peak.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oh my God he mentioned McGhee in the article , string him up :eek:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Gully said:
As soon as the window closes again we will go on a fine run of form and mid-table obscurity that we all yearn will be within our grasp, mark my words!

I think you've got that spot on Gully. :clap:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Henderson must be cursing his luck as he contemplates his future."

What luck is that? The luck that made him unable to palm sideways? The luck that gave away a certain point at Bournemouth?

"Wilkins is too cute to let one victory paper over the cracks. He has a squad of inexperienced prospects and fantastic servants whose best days are behind them, with nothing in-between."

Which, with the exception of three quarters of a tiny transfer window during which we actually signed players was inherited from Andy's golf buddy.....

Usual Naylor shit really, three quarters of a good article with some factless jibes not too thinly disguesed to make it to the word limit required.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Very fair article. Hendo was criticised for SAVING a penalty against Yeovil a few weeks ago, so it is clear that the one eyed brigade will never let him feel welcome.

As for Gatting, 19 year old kid who is trying his best. He may or may not make the grade, I personally hope that he does, but it is very harsh to write him off so quickly, especially as he is surrounded by other kids.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If anyone is trying to put down players and divide the team it is some of our fans, not the journalist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here