• That 5-0 game

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Their fans

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • Simon Jordan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its tradition, a vital part of being an Albion fan

Votes: 69 69.7%
  • A specific Palace player (Holder, Swindlehurst, Hughton, etc)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croydon

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • A specific Palace manager (Coppell, Taylor, Warnock, etc)

• Selhurst Park

• Total voters

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Coming from a family of Palace fans and having been to Selhurst to watch them play I never did hate them!

However I think 'hating' a club and having a rivalry, no matter how tenuous, is an important part of being a fan so yes, ok, I 'hate' them because ...... oh I dunno, because they changed their nickname from the Glaziers. The Eagles is the name of our Speedway team and Palace had no right to use it.

Of course Palace never used to be our rivals, I had no problem in supporting both clubs when I was growing up in the late 60s early 70s, in those days it was more Bournemouth and Fulham. Nowadays our 'rivals' should really be Orient but hating them is like hating hamsters - their fans are just too tame

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
There's no danger of me becoming a CPFC fan but its a meaningless rivalry, a rivalry of huge siginifance to some of us like Das Reich who no doubt regards the smashing up of that pub in Croydon in October 2005 as one of the highllights of his life but most CPFC fans regard us as of total irrrelevance I would think. This hopefully will change in the future but CPFC have been better than us for nearly 2 decades so get over it and accept it.
look at their website cpfc.org, they dont regard us as an irrelevance, nice to see you back by the way.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
I hate us because we are so superior than our supposed rivals, Brighton, Charlton, Millwall. Imagine how awful that must be? And in some cases for over 20 frickin years! Smug bastards!

Dandyman

In London village.
I hate us because we are so superior than our supposed rivals, Brighton, Charlton, Millwall. Imagine how awful that must be? And in some cases for over 20 frickin years! Smug bastards!

Ah, but we have a chairman who looks like a jazz loving hipster whereas you have a permatanned loon with a secret gay love nest in Kemp Town as yours.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Ah, but we have a chairman who looks like a jazz loving hipster whereas you have a permatanned loon with a secret gay love nest in Kemp Town as yours.

No you have a chairman who looks like Richard Attenborough in Miracle on 34th Street, we have a chairman who is a permatanned loon with a secret gay love nest in Kemp Town!

;)

Dandyman

In London village.
No you have a chairman who looks like Richard Attenborough in Miracle on 34th Street, we have a chairman who is a permatanned loon with a secret gay love nest in Kemp Town!

;)

:thumbsup:

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
Of course we still hate Brighton more than anyone else.
I started supporting Palace in the 70's and the rivalry grew with me.As for being 50 miles apart I think that makes it more intense as we are not normally living ,working and going to the same schools.(thankfully);).
Lets face it without each other we would just be another Charlton or Fulham who nobody could give 2 shits about.
Long may it live.:salute:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
I started supporting Palace in the 70's and the rivalry grew with me.As for being 50 miles apart I think that makes it more intense as we are not normally living ,working and going to the same schools.(thankfully);).
Lets face it without each other we would just be another Charlton or Fulham who nobody could give 2 shits about.

I think you hit the nail on the bonce there fella, Palace fans who have been going since the 70's and 80's still have a rivalry with Brighton, but the younger generation as a rule just don't get the rivalry at all.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
although 50 miles apart , i would say the catchment areas overlap , as you will see brighton and palace shirts in mid sussex .

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008

well said, you ask me what i think about Palace and straight away i'll reply "fuckin wankers".."hate em"..."...the Palace run away AGAIN!" etc etc for me beating them is the best ever result and losing, the most painful. however in reality a couple of my best mates support "the scum" (see, i'm at it again) and they are top blokes infact those i've had a beer with are generrally alright. I've never been involved in a punch up at football so it's all talk, banter, a bit of a laugh. a rival is a vital part of supporting your club and only those not around in the late seventies/early eighties can view anyone else as a rival.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Having supported the Albion since 1990 and only seen us play Palace four times, I don't hate them. In fact I dislike Man Utd, Leeds, MK Dons and maybe other teams more.

However, I am pleased when the half time scores are read out and they are losing as it is part of being a Brighton fan despite us not playing them much. I also rank the 5-0 at Selhurst as one of the worst days watching Albion and the 1-0 win under McGhee as one of the best. So if we started playing them regularly I think the younger generation would soon pick up the rivalry.

All clubs need some sort of rival. My local club, Barnet, still sing about hating Enfield despite being 2 or 3 divisions above them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having supported the Albion since 1990 and only seen us play Palace four times, I don't hate them. In fact I dislike Man Utd, Leeds, MK Dons and maybe other teams more.

However, I am pleased when the half time scores are read out and they are losing as it is part of being a Brighton fan despite us not playing them much. I also rank the 5-0 at Selhurst as one of the worst days watching Albion and the 1-0 win under McGhee as one of the best. So if we started playing them regularly I think the younger generation would soon pick up the rivalry.

All clubs need some sort of rival. My local club, Barnet, still sing about hating Enfield despite being 2 or 3 divisions above them.

If we could play them regularly I have no doubt it would only take a couple of seasons to reignite the rivalry and those who don't understand it would soon get it. Palace vs Brighton on an equal footing again is one of the things I'm most looking forward to when we have Falmer. It is the BEST feeling beating them and the worst losing to them, a draw is deeply unsatisfying

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It happened for me in the 75/76 season. Their overblown cup run, the 2-0 at the Goldstone. By the end of the season I loathed them.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
For my sins, having to live in Croydon before moving to Brighton I was first tempted by Palace but after seeing Peter Ward it was compulsory to hate Palace...... every rare Palace game is still a must win but don't really hate them now...... doesnt seem anything worth hating.

In the seventies though....... they were bastards!!!!:angry::angry:

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
Got told to by my mum and my grandad

when u have been pelted with coins and your bleeding from just above your eye and then get told to the leave the ground after the game for "inapropriate Hand signals" you start to hate them more

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here