Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do we call Palace fans 'pikeys' ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Cardiff fans all shag sheep as its widely accepted that that’s the national passtime in the valleys.

This is a far weirder one than Palace pikeys: you won't see many sheep anywhere near Cardiff. I could understand Swansea or Wrexham being called sheepshaggers but not Cardiff.

Re Palace, I agree with Simster: Nigels is a much better term. I lived in CP area for a while (and worked in Croydon) and I didn't see anyone who I'd call a pikey.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This is a far weirder one than Palace pikeys: you won't see many sheep anywhere near Cardiff. I could understand Swansea or Wrexham being called sheepshaggers but not Cardiff.

Re Palace, I agree with Simster: Nigels is a much better term. I lived in CP area for a while (and worked in Croydon) and I didn't see anyone who I'd call a pikey.

It's just the whole Welsh thing, football fans who chant such songs are not renowned for their accuracy!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nor do I. Nigels fit much better. They are dull, desk clerks in their dreary north Surrey/Kent suburbs.

Yes all of us, of course. Just like you all take drugs and are gay. FFS, grow up
See. Look how it annoys them.

And the term "Nigels" is nothing to do with the East Ender actor. It's because it's a name that is typified by the people you see in dreary suburbia on the fringes of (but not properly IN) London.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
When the Palace burned down they became itinerants.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Brighton call Palace fans 'the pikeys'.
Palace call Charlton fans 'the pikeys'.
Charlton call Gillingham fans 'the pikeys'.
I think the buck stops at Gillingham.
Maybe they should use the term for Brighton fans to complete the circle.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Chavs okay, but the whole caravan thing seems a little far fetched.

I have always regarded them as knuckle dragging Neanderthal troglodytes, but that can be a challenging concept to get across. So for now the Nigel's will just have to be mangy dog-pummellers.

we-8-brighton

Feb 5, 2011
lol you found that video too..
that really and truly does make me ashamed to be from croydon but then again it's not just contained here though is it???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here