Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people smoke?

windowlicker

Aug 22, 2009
Shame some of the selfish b*!$&*ds can't wait till they're out of the Withdean before lighting up and puffing their vile stink all over us. And with the confined space, you have to watch they don't burn your clothes as well!!

it is EXACTLY this kind of attitude that is the problem,if there were smoking areas set aside for smoker at the withdean like at bristol rovers then this problem is reduced as it keeps everyone happy .
as a former 20 a day jps black smoker i quit smoking purely because of the cost not for health reasons.
all the anti-smokers complain about the smell of smoke and the apparent health problems it will cause you. yes i know smoking isnt a clever thing to do but studies of second hand smoke are inconclusive and its obvious a lot of you on here have been BRAINWASHED by the government and junk science paid for by pharma companies who also happen to make nicotine replacement products that smoking will ruin your life and kill you. its all financially driven, if smoking was that bad for you whys it not illegal? oh thats right the government make billions from tobacco duty and further millions from drug companies paying them to scare people into quitting smoking. why do you think the nhs quit kits have currently got free nicotine patches in them? to fool people into spending £9 on another pack just like tobacco companies hook people in. the solution is simple let people make there own f***ing choice. stop the crusade against smokers and give people the freedom to make there own choices. (by the way my great aunt smoked 30 a day since the age of 15 and she died peacefully aged 93) Freedom To Choose is a good website for information

it is EXACTLY this kind of attitude that is the problem,if there were smoking areas set aside for smoker at the withdean like at bristol rovers then this problem is reduced as it keeps everyone happy .
as a former 20 a day jps black smoker i quit smoking purely because of the cost not for health reasons.
all the anti-smokers complain about the smell of smoke and the apparent health problems it will cause you. yes i know smoking isnt a clever thing to do but studies of second hand smoke are inconclusive and its obvious a lot of you on here have been BRAINWASHED by the government and junk science paid for by pharma companies who also happen to make nicotine replacement products that smoking will ruin your life and kill you. its all financially driven, if smoking was that bad for you whys it not illegal? oh thats right the government make billions from tobacco duty and further millions from drug companies paying them to scare people into quitting smoking. why do you think the nhs quit kits have currently got free nicotine patches in them? to fool people into spending £9 on another pack just like tobacco companies hook people in. the solution is simple let people make there own f***ing choice. stop the crusade against smokers and give people the freedom to make there own choices. (by the way my great aunt smoked 30 a day since the age of 15 and she died peacefully aged 93) Freedom To Choose is a good website for information

Making smoking 'illegal' would be ridiculous. Tobacco is so easy to acquire and it's not pervasive enough as a product to be deemed a substance worthy of calling an illegal drug.
However, if people smoked tea bags and got cancer it would be the same problem as far as monitoring that as illegal. A bit like glue sniffing, the product is there and not illegal to sell either. The fact remains that it's dangerous to health, and in smoking's case they found that proximity is dodgy for anyone inhaling smoke - as well as a pretty bloody bad stench. There are now many places where you cannot smoke, Withdean is just one of them

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There are plenty of places where you can smoke in close proximity to areas that are smoke free. I don't see the problem with creating a smoking zone. Withdean is ideal for that! There are plenty of sporting arenas that cater for smoking and why not?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Isn't it interesting that the non-smokers on here are coming over all rather high and mighty and the smokers far more philosophical about life.

Not in the slightest bit interesting - pretty damn obvious I would have thought. All smokers want to quit - or at least expect they will stop at some point in their lives - and wouldn't want their children to start. So-called 'committed' smokers are constantly in a state of denial about this, and are therefore 'far more philosophical about life'.

Speaking as someone who was 'philosophical' about his 60-a-day habit for 16 years.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
At HT Yeovil opened the gates for those that wanted to pop out for a quick fag.

franks brother

smoking.jpg

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Conspiricy bollocks,.... don't smoke it will kill you,.... dont smoke near me it will kill me,... dont expect society to fund your killing areas, there is no cash left in the till......... the end.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
If any of you guy's need a hand down from that High Horse that some of you seem to be stuck on, then please let me know.

I can only aspire to live life as perfectly as some!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Live and let Live is definitely not on the agenda for quite a few on this thread. Intolerance is a much worse trait than smelling of smoke imo. Can self righteousness kill?

Live and let Live is definitely not on the agenda for quite a few on this thread. Intolerance is a much worse trait than smelling of smoke imo. Can self righteousness kill?

It's a live and let live world,.... except when the law presides, and establishments require you let them say what goes in their areas.
Then they are not being self-righteous, but legally binding.
Which is what many smokers appear not to like.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You have more chance of dying from many many more things than smoking,christ the media these days have really made it out to be the devil habit.

Can't understand either why you can't smoke at the withdean which is so open,many clubs allow it and so they should.Even here at reading you can smoke at half time???

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
It's a live and let live world,.... except when the law presides, and establishments require you let them say what goes in their areas.
Then they are not being self-righteous, but legally binding.
Which is what many smokers appear not to like.

Its all very well to use the 'law' to support an argument unfortunately the presumption of those that do is that the law is always right. For many in this country (whether smokers or non smokers) the use of the law to control our live is not indicative of a heathy mature democracy. Evidently many are happy with this state of affairs. How sad.

Shopkeepers who sell goods in Imperial weights, footbal fans making hand signs in FA Cup videos, homeowners not putting rubbish in the bin are not behavoiurs that should involve the law, but now they do. Worse still is the demand for some for more regulation and law in our lives..........I wonder how many on this thread will happily sit down at Falmer if the Council make it compulsory (or should I say legally binding) under H&S law.

As for the smoking laws, it encapsulates the childish way in which we are treated these days. Restrictions could have been easily applied without the need for such crushing legislation. Like smokers who crave nicotine, politicans crave power and control. Frankly never in the long history of this Island has there ever been so much law and never has the population been so willing to allow themselves to be ruled by it.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
If you've seen what smoking can do to people some might not be so keen to carry on. I personally have lost 3 close family members because of it, slowly and painfully...

Its all very well to use the 'law' to support an argument unfortunately the presumption of those that do is that the law is always right. For many in this country (whether smokers or non smokers) the use of the law to control our live is not indicative of a heathy mature democracy. Evidently many are happy with this state of affairs. How sad.

Shopkeepers who sell goods in Imperial weights, footbal fans making hand signs in FA Cup videos, homeowners not putting rubbish in the bin are not behavoiurs that should involve the law, but now they do. Worse still is the demand for some for more regulation and law in our lives..........I wonder how many on this thread will happily sit down at Falmer if the Council make it compulsory (or should I say legally binding) under H&S law.

As for the smoking laws, it encapsulates the childish way in which we are treated these days. Restrictions could have been easily applied without the need for such crushing legislation. Like smokers who crave nicotine, politicans crave power and control. Frankly never in the long history of this Island has there ever been so much law and never has the population been so willing to allow themselves to be ruled by it.

Since many smokers either blatantly or inadvertently interrupt the clean air with burning leaves and thereby restrict the access to it by non-smokers, the law presides over smoking now. Whether you agree or not, it IS there to REQUIRE that one group do not just disregard another group.
You can smoke, but not where the law says you cannot.
Why should you or anyone else have total freedom in every place to disrupt the freedom of others? You don't have to LIKE the law, but it's put there to stop such disruptions.

Can you say that a rap or heavy metal fan should have total freedom to play their music at any volume at any time of night living next door to you?
If there was no law in place, you would have no say, and they could max the volume at 4am every morning just because that was what they wanted to do, tough luck for you for having just bought that flat with your life savings.
If you go to the police are you being "childish" now? Is the legislation "crushing" only when it doesn't suit you, maybe?

It wasn't that long ago you went into pubs to waft through palls of smoke to get through to the bar, and sit next to a crowd of puffers chuffing away.
I didn't care much except for the smell on my clothes, which therefore had to be washed or stay stinking in my wardrobe and effect the other coats/jackets/jeans or whatever - but there ARE many people who minded, with allergies and breathing issues - and there's now evidence that smoke gives health problems to incidental inhalers of it - family members of smokers for instance.

It's a relatively recent law, but one that was long overdue for many people who can't bear smokers forcing themselves on others - as above - blatantly or inadvertently.

Simple enough - take it elsewhere and smoke it. If a place has declared you shouldn't do it on their premises, respect their wishes and take care of your own wishes where it's not disturbing others and it's legally free to do it.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
and if you saw Panorama last night - you'd be a mug to buy cheap fags from a market as well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
'Live and let live' is a fine sentiment, provided smoking (as this is the topic of debate here) has no effect on anyone else.

Point is, it does - not to the same extent obviously, but an effect nonetheless.

So all those accusing non-smokers of being on their high horses might possibly want to re-consider their dismissive attitude to their immediate social environment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here