Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people doubt Gus?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I do. That is what makes are recent abysmal form even harder to take, and the credibility of Poyet's Budget comments less tenable. The players are clearly capable of doing better, so enough money must have been provided, but the Manager failed to get the best out of them. Additionally, to deteriorate to the level we have over the last 13 matches is simply unacceptable, and shows a real ineptitude in the manager. If we start next season the way we ended this, will you be quick to come to his support?

So, over the course of the season, the players are devoid of criticism and responsbility - and it's all the manager's fault? I assume he is as inept as a manager in bad times as much as a genius in good times?

You really are looking at this from totally the wrong perspective, and using over-emotive language to justify it, which says more about you than it does about Gus and the job that you have absolutely no idea how to do.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Because they have inadequate personal lives and taking it out on someone else makes them feel a whole lot better?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I wouldn't mind too much if Gus went, his racist sympathizing were particularly unpalatable, as was walking away from the side with 10 minutes to go.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So, over the course of the season, the players are devoid of criticism and responsbility - and it's all the manager's fault? I assume he is as inept as a manager in bad times as much as a genius in good times?

You really are looking at this from totally the wrong perspective, and using over-emotive language to justify it, which says more about you than it does about Gus and the job that you have absolutely no idea how to do.

With the squad size and chances of bringing in loan players - yes, it is Gus's fault. He is the one who selected the team, he is the one who told them how to play (individual mistakes excepted from time to time), and it is up to him to sort things out when they are not working as he wishes. Do you not accept that our form over the last 13 matches is relegation form, and totally unacceptable?

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
They only thing I can say against Gus is that sometimes his team selection baffles me (and a lot of other people). Quite a few times this season he has selected a team that has no creativity. If we were playing away then I suppose it's understandable but the game that immediately springs to mind is Millwall at home - pretty much every person I spoke to before the game was disappointed with the starting 11 and they were exactly right to be (I believe Gus even admitted it after the game).

That said, we have to be over the moon with where we are now compared to where we were when he took over. He's not perfect, few managers are and remember this is his 1st proper management job, he's bound to make mistakes, lets just hope he learns from them.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
How does Gus know we are 14th in terms of budget or whatever he said? Surely this cannot be known until a year later when accounts are published?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[MENTION=5729]sir albion[/MENTION] - in all the years I have reading Nsc, I haven't see you post one positive thing about any manager. None of them have been good enough.

[MENTION=12740]pork pie[/MENTION] - there's only Peter Taylor recently who has had a better win ratio than Gus.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Ah so you admit 75% of our season has been good. Excellent, sense at last.

Excellent was not even mentioned? Can't you read?

If you are happy with the shite produced over the last quarter of the season, then, you must be very easily pleased.

As was said prior to this season, "momentum" is very important - look at what we are taking into next season!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Excellent was not even mentioned? Can't you read?

If you are happy with the shite produced over the last quarter of the season, then, you must be very easily pleased.

As was said prior to this season, "momentum" is very important - look at what we are taking into next season!

Come off your high horse. He said it was excellent that you saw sense at last.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
[MENTION=5729]sir albion[/MENTION] - in all the years I have reading Nsc, I haven't see you post one positive thing about any manager. None of them have been good enough.

[MENTION=12740]pork pie[/MENTION] - there's only Peter Taylor recently who has had a better win ratio than Gus.

Not taken over the last 13 matches! How many have been sacked for better form than ours over that period of matches?

We have simply got worse and worse. I don't have any statistics in front of me. But, I would expect that most of our managers who have been sacked, have had similar or even better form over their last thirteen matches. How many points did Russell Slade take from the last thirteen matches before he was sacked?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I don't think Gus will be here next season. Villa or some mid table La Liga side will snap him up. He has looked pissed off in recent weeks. If an offer come in from any half decent club he will be gone in a shot. Loyalty doesn't exist in football anymore. Would Gus moving on be a bad thing? It wouldn't be the end of the world

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yeah and we're paying 100% of their wages. Oh wait. We weren't.

Come ON people!! And those players would have still been within our budget. Which is still lower than 13 other teams. For Christ's sake, Doncaster had Chimbonda and Diouf that tell me that their budget isn't small.
Who said we was paying 100%?
Most of these players are on 10/20k a week and although harper wasn't here long he is on 40k a week,even paying 50% it equates to a fair wad,we have a big squad and all these salaries mount up.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Look what we took into this season! It makes no difference. A good pre-season (not results in it by the way) will determine our start.

Sorry, but you cannot have it both ways! The start of this season was our best, and only "excellent" run of form. That could only have come from the momentum of last season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We, at least I hope, will never sack Gus.
But Gus will leave that's the nature of life.

If that were to happen due to 'fan' pressure I would be right royally fcuked off, and we could kiss goodbye to our chances of ever getting a top quality manager.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

What utter rubbish,i was delighted with poyet and it's only recently i,ve been annoyed with him as a person,crap tactics and mind games aswell as his ego thinking he should be a top four manager spending 10's of millions.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
not taken over the last 13 matches! How many have been sacked for better form than ours over that period of matches?

We have simply got worse and worse. I don't have any statistics in front of me. But, i would expect that most of our managers who have been sacked, have had similar or even better form over their last thirteen matches. How many points did russell slade take from the last thirteen matches before he was sacked?

rs w3 d4 l6
gp w2 d7 l4

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We, at least I hope, will never sack Gus.
But Gus will leave that's the nature of life.

If that were to happen due to 'fan' pressure I would be right royally fcuked off, and we could kiss goodbye to our chances of ever getting a top quality manager.
You seem like a person who is stuck in the crap old days,we can attract top managers and we always have even at withdean.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What utter rubbish,i was delighted with poyet and it's only recently I have been annoyed with him as a person,crap tactics and mind games aswell as his ego thinking he should be a top for manager spending 10's of millions.

I'm not sure where you've heard that as I haven't. He has said he wants to manage at the top a couple of years ago, but after that it's only mentioned whenever a journalist asks him the same question again and again. Blame the press if you want to blame anyone. We have a high profile manager that the media love and we all know what the media do to high profile names.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Because they are self-doubters themselves, so they have to blame someone else for everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here