Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people doubt Gus?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yes but my point is that the loans are budgeted in also, not added on top. Do you really think Bloom would go over his budget so readily to accommodate loans? If our budget was the 14th biggest in the Champ, these players were within it so to point at loans is irrelevant to me in terms of exceeding budget.
Obviously it's budgeted as that's not rocket science is it,we have a healthy budget and the problem is we have far to many average players that consume our budget.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
I think Poyet is a good coach and has us playing a way i didn't think we would ever do by trying to keep the ball by passing it, but i think he is a poor match day manager. I think his team selections are sometimes waffle-iron, i think that his substitutions are dire and are usually like for like (a left winger for a left winger) i think we are lacking a plan b when the passing doesn't work and i think that he is often very petulant on the sidelines.

Hopefully with better players next year we will be able to play the way he wants and finish higher in the league but i still think he needs to improve immensely on match days for this to happen.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Martin Perry, after the radio show we did recently, did mention the extreme hilarity with some of the (serious) job applications he'd received for manager's job at the Albion. Some included people who excelled at Football Manager, having got their team to the Champions League Final seven years in a row.

I assumed that to be an urban myth. Sadly, he said once he'd stopped laughing, it was very much the case...

I can think of a few who fall into that kind of attitude, even if they don't play Football Manager.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Gus is laying in a deep foundation that will present the opportunity for immense flair, however, while the players get used to it bit by bit it can be a little tedious from time to time.
Some line-up decisions have not always appeared optimal for winning the game, however there is a lot more to it than most people can know, let alone comprehend it and there is a bigger picture for the club rather than game by game.

And I think it's that ignorance that is causing negative reactions.
I spose that's why we have #inguswetrust because we just have to have faith when it's not always obvious.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Managers should not make it public that they want to leave in the future,that's disrespectful to us as a club.Gus likes playing mind games with our players which baffles many players im sure,you play well and get dropped simples.

I don't dislike gus as he's a good man,he has a big ego and seems to focus way to much on defensive negative football.

i cant understand why not
i like his honesty

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Martin Perry, after the radio show we did recently, did mention the extreme hilarity with some of the (serious) job applications he'd received for manager's job at the Albion. Some included people who excelled at Football Manager, having got their team to the Champions League Final seven years in a row.

I assumed that to be an urban myth. Sadly, he said once he'd stopped laughing, it was very much the case...

I can think of a few who fall into that kind of attitude, even if they don't play Football Manager.

You really think they were being serious? :facepalm:

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
It seems to me that some posters on here need to wake up and smell the coffee. Yes Gus has had more money to spend then alot if not all predecessors but what these people need to remember is that the money he has spent and the wages we offer (I am guessing) is nothing compared to a lot of Championship clubs. I personally will be happy with a slow build up to get the Premiership and don't agree with the morons on here that seem to think we should be in play offs this year and automatic next year. I agree the last quarter of the season was disappointing but 10th is probably our right position with a mainly league one squad with a few loans and and of course the exception that is Vicente! Get off Gus's back and try to get some realism to your sad lives!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I am not convinced by Gus.Suspect temperament,inability to get the best out of the likes of CMS,weird selections and substitutions,doesn't appear to know his best team,constantly tinkering,apparently no plan B.
Yup,we won the division last season and have ended up in a creditable position this season so what am I moaning about?Well,I am not moaning,I just have concerns.
It may sound harsh,but IMHO there is something missing.I do hope he proves me wrong but I have nagging doubts and am not as confident about next season as perhaps some others are.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
He has been poor for over six months, that is why he has not been a certain starter, what do you expect Poyet to do?

They'd prefer Poyet to play him 90mins every week so that they can then complain about him 'only playing him because he spent so much money on him' and 'refusing to admit he's made a mistake' or some such shite. Whatever he did would have been wrong

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Ah, these old chestnuts again...

The phrase that springs to mind is 'not seeing the Brazilian rainforest for the twigs'.

Hello again Large One.Chestnuts or not,I just have doubts about Gus being able to get the kind of players he wants for us to succeed playing the Gus way.
Hope he proves me wrong and first on my list of wants would be a high class goalkeeper.He has got to get success with the players we can afford and get the best out of them.........consistently!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I love Gus. El Pres summed it up for me - you have to take the whole package.

He is a personality and there are bits of his personality I would feel more comfortable with if they were different - but realistically I am just happy we have him here. It won't be for ever - and there are other managers around - but while he is here - it is fantastic.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I think there's a spectrum of opinion, broadly in 3 groups and with some between 2 of these

1 - Those who want him gone ( smallest group in my opinion )
2 - Those who want him to stay, but think the club still will move onwards and upwards regardless.
3 - Those that think it'll be some degree of a disaster if he goes.

I love Gus as a manager, but I'm firmly in group 2.

I'm a group 2 kinda guy also.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Hello again Large One.Chestnuts or not,I just have doubts about Gus being able to get the kind of players he wants for us to succeed playing the Gus way.
Hope he proves me wrong and first on my list of wants would be a high class goalkeeper.He has got to get success with the players we can afford and get the best out of them.........consistently!

That is part of the pleasure. None of us know whether he can get us to succeed the way he wants to play. But we have done better both these seasons than the finances dictate - so let's just keep that going. We have to remember that was his first season in the Championship - and with mainly League One players. It was great wasn't it ?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
That is part of the pleasure. None of us know whether he can get us to succeed the way he wants to play. But we have done better both these seasons than the finances dictate - so let's just keep that going. We have to remember that was his first season in the Championship - and with mainly League One players. It was great wasn't it ?

Yes, it most certainly was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here