Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do English born and bred "Indians" support India?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Does nationality play that much of a part though? I support Wales in Rugby and England in football because when I was growing up those were the teams my family supported. I'd imagine it's the same for this hypothetical Indians.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yes but they are not asian so therefore cannot be rolemodels, there's me thinking that we were supposed to ignore race .

I imagine your role model was a black woman when you were growing up?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Does nationality play that much of a part though? I support Wales in Rugby and England in football because when I was growing up those were the teams my family supported. I'd imagine it's the same for this hypothetical Indians.

And you really think this is a similar analogy do you ? Of course you dont, but as i've said to a previous poster , it helps you ignore the unpalatable truth, that is staring you in the face.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
why does someone born in Sussex, whose Dad was born in and supports Liverpool/Tottenham/Newcastle/anyothertown, decide to support that town rather than their local club? basic same question, basic same answer.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
You really think it boils down to just being about a sports team? we4ll i suppose it does if you choose to ignore the wider issue.

I'd say that in the majority of cases it is, yes. Especially in the case of Indians, who generally fit into our society quite well, have worked alongside us for many years and, in my experience, are some of the nicest people I've met.

And you really think this is a similar analogy do you ? Of course you dont, but as i've said to a previous poster , it helps you ignore the unpalatable truth, that is staring you in the face.

Why isn't it a similar analogy? Because it doesn't suit your logic? The point is entirely valid; is their support of the Indian cricket team out of some kind of Indian nationalism, or is it because they are doing what their parents did before them?

You like to paint a picture of some kind of snarling anti-British fervour... but if that's the case why do some people of Asian descent support the England football team? Or why do they not all choose not to move back to the subcontinent?

There may well be some people that retain a true Indian identity and dislike white British people. But don't pretend it's some massive majority, and that your answer is the only valid answer, when your evidence is shaky at best.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
why does someone born in Sussex, whose Dad was born in and supports Liverpool/Tottenham/Newcastle/anyothertown, decide to support that town rather than their local club? basic same question, basic same answer.

You support the national team of the country you most identify with, simple , nowhere near the same as support for a club side.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I have no problem with it but I know several British born Indian and Pakistani people who are fiercely loyal to the cricket teams of India and Pakistan however when it comes to football they'll be cheering on England with just as much passion as the rest of us. Now obviously you could argue they don't have national football teams worth cheering on whilst their respective cricket teams are consistently amongst the top test nations in the world but it is interesting how it works.

However it's also the same with the Irish, I tend to find. Those born and bred in the UK but with some sort of Irish ancestry will often fiercely support the Irish in football or rugby, almost out of sheer bloody mindedness at getting behind the underdogs and somehow channeling their ancestors to fight us evil English oppressors.

I must admit however, if I could find a trace of ancestry from somewhere else I'd ditch my support of the England football team in a flash. I'm convinced there's some viking in me, which perhaps gives me permission to support one of the Scandinavian countries, although none of them seem to be world beaters right now at the most popular team sports. Mind you the Danish football team have won more than England ever have in my lifetime and according to FIFA Norway are the 8th best team in Europe. Either of them have just as much chance of winning any significant trophies as England do right now, and without the entirely despicable representative players to boot.

You support the national team of the country you most identify with, simple , nowhere near the same as support for a club side.

I would completely agree with the first half of your sentence, but I think it's exactly the same as a club side. These kids have grown up in a household of India supporters - who are they most likely to identify with when it comes to cricket?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
if you had spent alot of time in india you would know.......very deep roots.

they see themselves as indian living in england for sure.....look at the history of both countries, england was a mish mash of tribes with iron tools when india was very advanced (indus valley etc), and kids grow up on amazing books like the Ramayana instead of stupid kids tv.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Why isn't it a similar analogy? Because it doesn't suit your logic? The point is entirely valid; is their support of the Indian cricket team out of some kind of Indian nationalism, or is it because they are doing what their parents did before them?

You like to paint a picture of some kind of snarling anti-British fervour... but if that's the case why do some people of Asian descent support the England football team? Or why do they not all choose not to move back to the subcontinent?

There may well be some people that retain a true Indian identity and dislike white British people. But don't pretend it's some massive majority, and that your answer is the only valid answer, when your evidence is shaky at best.
Show me EXACTLY where i've tried to paint a picture of snarling anti british fervour , seriously , i'll be amazed if you can, as for why they support the england football team , perhaps because there isn't an Indian one to my knowledge ? I havent tried to suggest an anti british angle at all, but i've never met anyone from an indian background who DOESNT support them at cricket.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I think this is correct. I'm not convinced that supporting a national team in any sport is about truly being of that nation, so much as who, culturally, you are bought up to support.

Case in point; my mother is Welsh, and really into her rugby (she doesn't care for football), and my dad is English, loves football and can take or leave rugby. Hence I grew up watching football with my English dad and rugby with my Welsh mum. I 'support' England in football and Wales in rugby.

It seems a sizeable number of people of asian heritage support England in the football; however they've grown up with India-supporting parents when the cricket is on, and naturally developed an affinity with that team.

I think this pretty much sums it up...

I'm off to the Oval for the ODI soon and will be going with a load of British-born 'Indians'. I can't wait as the atmosphere will be great. Most of them support both India and England (and whoever is playing Pakistan), but will be shouting for India against England, mostly out of the sense of occasion and identity rather than any desire to see England lose.

It's fascinating how peoples' opinions on geography-based loyalty differ. I, for example, take no interest in Crawley but other Albion fans seem to support them just because they're a Sussex side. I also don't give a monkey's about an English side winning in Europe, or another European national side winning the World cup when England are knocked out (would anyone take it that far?).

I don't think many people would bat an eyelid if they knew of a family of Liverpool supporters living in Brighton, who follow them because their grandfathers were scousers through & through and the tradition had been passed on, even though the majority of them were 2nd or 3rd generation Brightonians. Is the scenario in the OP so different?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I would completely agree with the first half of your sentence, but I think it's exactly the same as a club side. These kids have grown up in a household of India supporters - who are they most likely to identify with when it comes to cricket?

I would contend that they've grown up in a household where there parents were more than likely to have been born here , It's quite simply not JUST an issue about cricket, its about how they view themselves on the issue of nationality.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
My point is the majority of I Indian supporters were born in England and a quite possibly a large number of their parents were too. So why not support your own country?

They are. They see their country as India. Greeks, wherever they were born, see themselves as Greek so I imagine those whose ancestry was in India feel the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here