Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do English born and bred "Indians" support India?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
One of my grandfathers was Welsh, but I'm English and I support England if they play Wales at any sport.

So why are there thousands of English born at Lords supporting India?

Can of worms duly opened....

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I suggest 12 pages for this thread.

There are a number of cultural/historical/personal reasons why they do choose to support india. But what i do not like is their loud childish screaming at just a single or any shot or anything done by Sachin Tendulkar or any of their batsmen. Gets on my tits

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I know people will think this is a racist thread but certainly my intention is not.

I just don't get it really.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
did you ever see us play the west indies in tne late 70s?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Giraffe, you are clearly a proud Englishman. Do you think you would support another country if you have been born and bred their?

A few of my friends were born and bred in various different parts of the globe and they support England. I fail to see why the question is puzzling.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Same as second/third generation Irish living all over the UK/USA. who still regard themselves as Irish rather than the nation they have moved to and as such support them as first team.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Giraffe, you are clearly a proud Englishman. Do you think you would support another country if you have been born and bred their?

A few of my friends were born and bred in various different parts of the globe and they support England. I fail to see why the question is puzzling.

My point is the majority of I Indian supporters were born in England and a quite possibly a large number of their parents were too. So why not support your own country?

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
I can sort of understand this, I bet when they visit India they feel very British though. An old workmate of mine despises England in the cricket and supports India, but in football he seems to support England. It's a little strange.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

He wouldnt consider himself a proud Englishman if he'd been born and bred in another country, and it was his permanent home, but you knew that really didnt you, but just chose to ignore it as it makes it easier to ignore the unfortunate realities of multi cultural britain and the thousands of individuals who are only English when it suits them.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I can sort of understand this, I bet when they visit India they feel very British though. An old workmate of mine despises England in the cricket and supports India, but in football he seems to support England. It's a little strange.
It's not really strange at all, it's just showing that when push comes to shove they owe loyalty to India rather than England,you can kid yourself as much as you like , but it's the unpalatable truth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here