Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did I BOTHER with the Lib Dems?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think that's the problem isn't it? It's not two parties, the Lib Dems have basically grafted themself onto the backside of the Conservatives when the votes that put them in that position were won by campaigning on the exact opposite of every major decision that is being taken.

You have to question what mandate the tories have for this latest policy when the exact opposite has been a flagship Lib Dem policy forever. I'm pretty sure people who voted Lib Dems didn't vote for this, the tories don't have a majoirty, yet the Lib Dems are allowing them to act like one. Doesn't seem like democracy to me. :shrug:
Perfectly put.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
There goes my gap year, and possibly my application altogether. Its an absolute joke of a decision, it really is simply pushing the lower classes out of higher education, an oppurtunity which should be open to all.
f***ing Sickening.

Why?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Simster, this is all very boring.

You need to get your mind round the fact this is a COALITION and stop seeing it as two individual parties.

Do you think the Tory voters of Middle England were happy to see their child benefit disappear? I think not.

Do you think the Tories would have raised the annual Personal Allowance by 16% in one year? I think not.

David Cameron used the word "fairness" a lot at the Tory conference last week.

All of the above points to the Lib Dems having SOME influence in the government of this country.

Personally, I think there are too many Micky Mouse university courses around, and if an increase in tuition fees helps to "weed out" some of the academic rubbish then so much the better. There are too many young people out of the workforce doing worthless degrees and they'd be better served getting proper skills for the workplace.

Correct.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
BBC News - Cable accepts unlimited tuition fees plan

f***ing gutless tossers! :angry:

As it happens I believe this is shockingly crap decision, and an excellent way to help the country move towards a society of haves and have-nots. But actually it's not the fact that the government are making this decision, it's the fact that the Liberals said they would NEVER accept unlimited tuition fees and are now doing yet another about turn.

In fact, what is the point of the lib dems? What is their legacy of time in power? They're just letting the Tories do whatever they want and then bickering about it amongst each other behind closed doors.

Spineless. I won't be voting for them all the while Clegg and Cable are anywhere near their top jobs.

I had no time for Clegg before the election but he's gone up in my estimation since. Cable still has some odd ideas but overall I'm glad he's in government.
I can't see what this fuss is about tuition fees, etc.. If charges were being made during the course then I could accept that universities were being made the preserve of the rich and privileged. If nothing is paid till after graduation, and then only if a certain amount is being earned, then I don't perceive a problem. If students don't think a degree is worth running up some debt for, maybe they aren't suitable candidates for a university education.

larus

As it happens I believe this is shockingly crap decision, and an excellent way to help the country move towards a society of haves and have-nots. But actually it's not the fact that the government are making this decision, it's the fact that the Liberals said they would NEVER accept unlimited tuition fees and are now doing yet another about turn.

In fact, what is the point of the lib dems? What is their legacy of time in power? They're just letting the Tories do whatever they want and then bickering about it amongst each other behind closed doors.

Spineless. I won't be voting for them all the while Clegg and Cable are anywhere near their top jobs.

So it's the Tories fault that Labour instigated the review of University funding is it?

Change the f***ing record. What do you think Labour would have done?

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

I suppose you disapprove of the findings of Phillip Green into Whitehall waste as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I suppose you disapprove of the findings of Phillip Green into Whitehall waste as well.

Well, on his ticket of decentralisation, local people making decisions and let's abolish Quangos etc etc Cameron should disapprove as Philip Green's findings basically suggest central procurement and somebody to keep an eye on all of this.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So it's the Tories fault that Labour instigated the review of University funding is it?

Change the f***ing record. What do you think Labour would have done?

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

I know that in your world the Tories are never to be criticized but maybe you should just read what I wrote. I am complaining about the lib dems rolling over on a key pledge, not the policy itself.

nothing wrong with that surely?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I think you're judging Cable unfairly. His recent speeches against the spivs and chancers in the City has had them squealing like pigs. His heart's in the right place. But he's swimming against the tide in this coalition government and like the rest of the Lib Dems he'll have to toe the line or be spat out. Make no mistake, this is a Tory government in all but name. Anyone seen or heard from Cleggy recently? Have they given him detention?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Steve-Bell-12.10.2010-005.jpg

larus

Well, on his ticket of decentralisation, local people making decisions and let's abolish Quangos etc etc Cameron should disapprove as Philip Green's findings basically suggest central procurement and somebody to keep an eye on all of this.

If the Tories introduce changes which improve the purchasing policies of government and cut say 5-10% off procurement budgets, you will still moan about Tory Cuts, irrespective of the effect on frontline servies.

You're just so blinkered in that whatever any Tory government ever does you will criticise.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
If the Tories introduce changes which improve the purchasing policies of government and cut say 5-10% off procurement budgets, you will still moan about Tory Cuts, irrespective of the effect on frontline servies.

You're just so blinkered in that whatever any Tory government ever does you will criticise.
so true, all left leaning voters want is a government that pays over the odds for paper. :wozza:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I'm sure there have been more hypocritical posts on this board but I can't think of any.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
easy fix instead of making innocent citizens pay for the rich peoples debt, kill them all and take their wealth to pay the debt off. worked for the french :thumbsup: sadly the tories have convinced a few suckers that 'we are all in this together' rubbish

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

where is the criticism? I'm simply suggesting that Cameron and Green have different views.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But, I would prefer a British tax-payer to advise on British tax affairs.

larus

I know that in your world the Tories are never to be criticized but maybe you should just read what I wrote. I am complaining about the lib dems rolling over on a key pledge, not the policy itself.

nothing wrong with that surely?

Actually, I will disagree with Tory policies if I think they're wrong.

The Poll Tax was badly thought out - although the principle was 'correct', the implementation was badly handled, and the system it was replacing was worse. (By correct, I mean the idea of charging by use of services rather than the size of the house).

Also, I will acknowledge policies of other parties as being good if I think so. The granting of independence to the BoE by GB was a very good move IMO.
The raising of personal tax allowances (forced by the Lib Dems) is an excellent policy.

I think the Tories were a spent force when Thatcher was ejected and Major was a waste of space. IDs was a joke as a leader and Hague was too young.

I believe in a free and open market, although we've made mistakes by allowing (for example), French companies to buy our utilities, when their markets are closed to us. Again, Tory mistake.

Don't hear the same from Labour supporters in terms of the structural deficit...

larus

But, I would prefer a British tax-payer to advise on British tax affairs.

He's not advising on tax affairs. He's advising on how to run an organisation efficiently. He's proved this by taking inefficient companies, and by improving the operation and making them profitable. His remit was not to look at the services provided, but the operation of the departments and the potentail savings.

Again, your blinkered views are clear to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here