Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are there so many plastic fans around?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
In which case then, be away with you. You are not allowed to think for yourself, and are not allowed to support who you want to. If you were born in Palace territory, you have to support them. It's as simple as that.
:hilton:

People can support whoever they want to. All this "plastic" fan nonsense is just overimportant people thinking them supporting a lower league team is any different to supporting a Premier League team. Alot of people seem to have a chip on their shoulder about it.

Sorry but supporting Palace is out of the question, even though they are easily my nearest club. After all, why would I forego The Amex to watch football in Sainsbury's car park ?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It was no different 40 years ago really, except it was not considered cool to wear a top from whatever team you supported. Most kids I was at school with followed one of the big boys but wheren`t so vociferous in those days because you couldn`t see them on the tv each week.
Indeed. You get people blaming Sky for the 'plastics' but that's completely wrong. Growing up in Lancing in the late 60s early 70s everybody supported Brighton AND a first division club. There was one boy who said he only supported Brighton and consequently he was considered a bit of a wierdo. (And he couldn't join in the conversations on Monday mornings when we were all discussing how 'our' teams had done.)

I don't like seeing all the replica shirts round Brighton, but as has been pointed out people do have a choice. And as Brighton fans we can't get too precious about saying people 'should' support their local club as that would mean people in Lewes, Worthing, Eastbourne etc staying in their own towns on Saturday as opposed to supporting the 'big' team up the coast.

I guess the people I really hate aren't the plastics as such, but the plastics who sneer at Brighton fans and ask why we support a third division side. Those who've got us as their second team I'll accept - especially as I used to be one of them!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It's like last season i went up to the Tranmere game and everyone up there was speaking scouse and it irritated the f*** out of me!

I couldn't believe why a southerner would support Liverpool!

I think the so called fans of these premiershite teams should spend a week in the City they play in then they might choose differently!

Don't be mistaken
Don't be misled
We are not scousers
We're from Birkenhead
You can keep your cathedrals
And f*** the pier head
We are not scousers we're from Birkenhead.

Oh, and when I lived there the idea of supporting a team other than Liverpool or Everton...and when neither of them were playing at home, Tranmere, was just beyond comprehension.

My f***ing mother bought me a spurs bag when I was a schoolkid in Tranmere...I have never supported spurs, mentioned spurs, even thought about spurs. Apparently she found it in a bargain Bin outside TJ Hughes...I cant imagine any sports shop imagining there was a Market for spurs Merchandise in Liverpool then, now or ever. It was dark blue and had a whithe footballer on it kicking an old casey style football with "SPURS" in massive white writing underneath. It was one of those with handles on the top...a bit like a bowls bag.

Anyway she argued "Its just a football team, what difference does it make which one?"

She made me take it. I turned it inside out...yes folks I went around with an inside out spurs bag for a year rather than get lynched as the only yid in 3D.

It was worth all the stick of "Ay lar, lookit dat dickead wid dee inside out fookin bag like...fookin divvy"

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Rubbish - It doesn't matter what league a team plays, you should support your local team to where you're born / family is from - It shouldn't be a choice in my opinion.

Also had a bloke and his son laughing saying that Albion play rubbish football etc and 'who are they gonna put in the stadium' blah blah blah. Really riled me as he was talking (in his Southern accent) about Man U like he was a real fan. Really riles me when a) people glory support but most of all b) when people take the piss out of you for supporting your local team / having a shit ground / playing 'shit' football. Anyone could turn round and decide they're a Man U / Chelsea 'fan' - it's not being a fan atall in my book. Football isn't just about what standard your team plays, it's about representing your town / county too in our case...

This is exactly what bugs me.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I prefer to stay at home and watch Albion on the TV ???:lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Really ? That would have made me a Palace fan.

Some on here may suggest you are :lolol:

I know there are exceptions and I didn't mean any offence to Albion fans by that comment. I know there are other reasons. I was getting at the standard Sussex bloke who decides he supports Liverpool or one of the 'big' clubs for no reason whatsoever except that they're good.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Supporting a PREMIERSHIP team is SO fun :clap2:.

I'm not sure anyone would call you a plastic though. As far as is discernible you appear to travel not just the country, but Europe as well watching spurs. That in most people's books I'd imagine excludes you from any accusations of plastic-ness.

People can support whoever they want to. All this "plastic" fan nonsense is just overimportant people thinking them supporting a lower league team is any different to supporting a Premier League team. Alot of people seem to have a chip on their shoulder about it.

Are you deliberately missing the point? Do you really not understand what most people mean by the term 'plastic'? Do you really not understand why people get annoyed by said 'plastics' taking the piss out of/belittling someone who follows a smaller club?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ditto. It's a real bug bear with me. This and players talking about themselves in the third person.

I don't think I've ever heard a player talk about himself in the 3rd person, that's the sort of thing usually done by the Craig Davids and Jason Derulos of this world.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In which case then, be away with you. You are not allowed to think for yourself, and are not allowed to support who you want to. If you were born in Palace territory, you have to support them. It's as simple as that.
:hilton:

Has someone hi-jacked ur NSC account the last few weeks?! First the swearing ramblings and now this? :lolol:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Went with my old man and a couple of his mates to Fulham v Liverpool in the away end last season. As soon as they picked up a southern accent on one of my dad's mates (a West Ham fan) they preceded to go apeshit and claim he had stolen a ticket that one of their mates could have had.
Then jipped him off for the rest of the game and attempted to steal his shoes...
and at V festival in Staffordshire last month, a load of proper scousers gathered outside our tent and started singing Liverpool songs. They'd had a few beers but were just having a laugh and such, when this little runt of a scouser runs over shouting at them about being plastic. The bloke leading the singing said he was born and bred in Liverpool and had a season ticket for 10 years. Confrontational runt decides this is the actions of a plastic fan, and squares up to him. Ruck ensues, "calm down, calm down"'s, the lot.
If you look on their forum, every post that isn't by one of the "true fans" that have never left Liverpool, they are greeted with a volley of abuse and are told their opinion doesn't matter as they aren't from Liverpool.
Liverpool fans are cunts

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Are you deliberately missing the point? Do you really not understand what most people mean by the term 'plastic'?

In fairness most of the times the word plastic is used on here it seems to mean anybody who lives in sussex and happens to support Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rubbish - It doesn't matter what league a team plays, you should support your local team to where you're born / family is from - It shouldn't be a choice in my opinion.

Also had a bloke and his son laughing saying that Albion play rubbish football etc and 'who are they gonna put in the stadium' blah blah blah. Really riled me as he was talking (in his Southern accent) about Man U like he was a real fan. Really riles me when a) people glory support but most of all b) when people take the piss out of you for supporting your local team / having a shit ground / playing 'shit' football. Anyone could turn round and decide they're a Man U / Chelsea 'fan' - it's not being a fan atall in my book. Football isn't just about what standard your team plays, it's about representing your town / county too in our case...

with all due respect sheebs, that is shite.

I left Huddersfield when I was 6, Yes I still look out for their results and if they are local and Brighton not at home, Ill go and watch them, however I am not Brighton born or bred, in fact if we hadn't have moved here, a little seaside town would not have been on my radar, BUT we did move here and
36 years later I still support the team where I live.

there is so much bollocks written about this " support your local team" it smacks of, " I am a better fan than you as I watch shite 3rd division football rather than you who watch Champions League and Premiership every week" To be honest mate, who gives a f***

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I spent Saturday evening with a group of old friends, one of whom is a long standing Chelsea fan.

He hates the 'plastics' as much as anyone - and reckons there's still only the 13/14,000 hard core that were supporting them in the 70s and 80s.

He reckons about a third of every Stamford Bridge home crowd is now made up of foreign tourists, complete with their cameras.

At Birmingham away last year, he said some bloke was slagging off Chelsea, 'you're useless Lampard/Drogba/whoever" and my friend turned round and told him to wind his neck in and get behind the team.

"F**k off" was the reply - "I can say what I want - I've been watching Chelsea for years - since Vialli was our Manager"

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Unfortunately Sky has spawned a generation of plastic fans

They've always been there but the high cost of tickets and the availability of Sky has just given them more reason to stay at home. Frankly I an just about totally disinterested and the Premier League and as such hardly ever watch MotD.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

For those who "don't get" why people get annoyed about "plastics", this is the nub of it. It's the air of SUPERIORITY they employ simply because they looked at a league table to see who was top, and "chose" that team as theirs.

Brilliant. Well done.

I could right now look at all league tables for ALL sports, and just choose to follow the top team/sportsman in each sport. Would I then have the right to look down on EVERYONE else because I supported the best team/sportsman in EVERYTHING?

It's completely pointless and quite childish really.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
For those who "don't get" why people get annoyed about "plastics", this is the nub of it. It's the air of SUPERIORITY they employ simply because they looked at a league table to see who was top, and "chose" that team as theirs.

Brilliant. Well done.

I could right now look at all league tables for ALL sports, and just choose to follow the top team/sportsman in each sport. Would I then have the right to look down on EVERYONE else because I supported the best team/sportsman in EVERYTHING?

It's completely pointless and quite childish really.

THIS

They've always been there but the high cost of tickets and the availability of Sky has just given them more reason to stay at home. Frankly I an just about totally disinterested and the Premier League and as such hardly ever watch MotD.

And THIS.

FWIW when I was at school in the late 70's early 80's it was Liverpool and Spurs with a bit of Man Utd. Because believe it or not they won everything.

Nowadays its Man U and Chelsea. Arsenal as o/s third. Because guess what...they win everything.

So nothing has changed apart from the teams. Therefore I find it hard to blame Sky etc.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
there is so much bollocks written about this " support your local team" it smacks of, " I am a better fan than you as I watch shite 3rd division football rather than you who watch Champions League and Premiership every week" To be honest mate, who gives a f***

Agreed :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here