Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are there so many plastic fans around?

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
What level club does one have to shun to become a plastic? I am sure a large percentage of our crowd have turned their backs on their local clubs (Worthing, Lewes etc) to support Brighton.

Withdean Stadium is the nearest stadium to me therefore I am a true fan :clap2:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Has someone hi-jacked ur NSC account the last few weeks?! First the swearing ramblings and now this? :lolol:

To be fair, "swearing ramblings" is a bit strong. I just have a different perspective on football to pretty much everyone on here, it seems. :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They've always been there but the high cost of tickets and the availability of Sky has just given them more reason to stay at home. Frankly I an just about totally disinterested and the Premier League and as such hardly ever watch MotD.

Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea all played to full houses every week.
Stay at home ? There`s plenty going.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My eldest once complained to the stewards in the family stand because some kid was wearing a Man U hat. The steward made the kiddie take it off.

One of the proudest moments as a dad.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
For those who "don't get" why people get annoyed about "plastics", this is the nub of it. It's the air of SUPERIORITY they employ simply because they looked at a league table to see who was top, and "chose" that team as theirs.

Brilliant. Well done.

I could right now look at all league tables for ALL sports, and just choose to follow the top team/sportsman in each sport. Would I then have the right to look down on EVERYONE else because I supported the best team/sportsman in EVERYTHING?

It's completely pointless and quite childish really.

This BUT... but but but... Am I the only one who tends to find, on the whole, these plastic fans are a bit dim? Therefore they wouldn't understand your explanation however you phrased it. NONE of my mates are plastic fans. There were loads at my school but I hardly know any these days. Of my best mates, a few aren't into football, a couple support the Albion; one supports Arsenal and lives in north London; one sortof supports palace but is now leaning towards Brighton (thanks to me) and comes from South London; etc, etc

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
For those who "don't get" why people get annoyed about "plastics", this is the nub of it. It's the air of SUPERIORITY they employ simply because they looked at a league table to see who was top, and "chose" that team as theirs.

Brilliant. Well done.

I could right now look at all league tables for ALL sports, and just choose to follow the top team/sportsman in each sport. Would I then have the right to look down on EVERYONE else because I supported the best team/sportsman in EVERYTHING?

It's completely pointless and quite childish really.

I find the stories of these encounters interesting, because I've never had one. I rekon it's because I've never worked full time in an office and therefore never had to develop a forced friendship with anyone and make small talk about football. I really want it to happen so I can verbally destroy some poncy armchair supporter, and then bully them about it :lolol:

I can see how it happens though, I've had to work in places where there's some right morons about, I tend to avoid talking football with people who take their opinions from the tabloids or andy grey, it's a waste of my time.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This is a psycologists dream, do you think the incident you had in the sportsman has affected his subconcious behaviour towards hats :jester: :lolol:

That was my youngest in the Sportsman. Incidentally, every time we go up to London my youngest boos and give the thumbs down as we pass through East Croydon and Norwood Junction.

My eldest has nothing against hats. He has an intense dislike for Man U - especially in 'a Brighton Stand for Brighton fans' (his words)

Dunno where they get this from :whistle:

D

Deleted User X18H

Withdean Stadium is the nearest stadium to me therefore I am a true fan :clap2:

Me as well, actually as no team has made Preston Park their permanent home, Brighton and Hove Albion are in fact the nearest team of any kind to my house. At this moment in time.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I find the stories of these encounters interesting, because I've never had one. I rekon it's because I've never worked full time in an office and therefore never had to develop a forced friendship with anyone and make small talk about football. I really want it to happen so I can verbally destroy some poncy armchair supporter, and then bully them about it :lolol:

I can see how it happens though, I've had to work in places where there's some right morons about, I tend to avoid talking football with people who take their opinions from the tabloids or andy grey, it's a waste of my time.

Possibly one of my most infuriating office encounters happened a while ago. I was getting the 'what league are Brighton in' crap from a 'Man U fan' from EASTBOURNE and his 'mate'. I gave it back saying 'you clearly don't know anything about football' as I usually do - I will fight till the end for Albion in any argument in any pub around my way I assure you! The next comment was possibly one of the most 'oh dear' moments i've ever heard from a truely THICK twat. He started to call me GAY etc etc. I wonder where the logic in that comment is - I'm from HEATHFIELD and the kiddy is from EASTBOURNE! :facepalm: That's another thing I get sometimes and when I point out that I'm from exactly the same town as them or the same county it seems to stump them!

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield
Rubbish - It doesn't matter what league a team plays, you should support your local team to where you're born / family is from - It shouldn't be a choice in my opinion.

Also had a bloke and his son laughing saying that Albion play rubbish football etc and 'who are they gonna put in the stadium' blah blah blah. Really riled me as he was talking (in his Southern accent) about Man U like he was a real fan. Really riles me when a) people glory support but most of all b) when people take the piss out of you for supporting your local team / having a shit ground / playing 'shit' football. Anyone could turn round and decide they're a Man U / Chelsea 'fan' - it's not being a fan atall in my book. Football isn't just about what standard your team plays, it's about representing your town / county too in our case...

Plenty of these in Heathfield !

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Becuase we are free to choose.

To be couch potatos..rather than stand up for our team in the cold and wet and get behind them.

I'm not an Albion fan but I admire those who have gone to Withdean week in week out in the cold and rain and suffered with the team.

THAT is a football supporter.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
drop-plastic-bottle-collect.jpg

'cor

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
with all due respect sheebs, that is shite.

I left Huddersfield when I was 6, Yes I still look out for their results and if they are local and Brighton not at home, Ill go and watch them, however I am not Brighton born or bred, in fact if we hadn't have moved here, a little seaside town would not have been on my radar, BUT we did move here and
36 years later I still support the team where I live.

there is so much bollocks written about this " support your local team" it smacks of, " I am a better fan than you as I watch shite 3rd division football rather than you who watch Champions League and Premiership every week" To be honest mate, who gives a f***

I didn't mean it refering to northern monkeys like yourself Dave who have supported a team for a long, long time and lived here a long, long time (you're story is paralel to that of my dads). I was refering to those who support one of the 'big' clubs through choice but live in Sussex.

It is 'i'm a better fan than you' in a way yes - and too right we should have the right to feel like that when listening to the loud mouthed village idiot up the pub spouting about Man U and their new 30 mil striker being 'shit' when he's never been to Old Trafford. I think Biscuit summed it up perfectly:

It's morally superior and there is nothing wrong with that.

"We support our local team!!!"

I'm in.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Plenty of these in Heathfield !

And you know full well that I'm famous for MUGGING off any man who dares take the piss out the Albion. :lol:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
My local female hairdresser, she of the delicate tit-nudge, tells me her son supports Arsenal. I told her that living near to Brighton he should support Albion.

But when you go into the local £ shop here and they have a row of stick-on badges, for ManUre, Liverbirds, Arse, Chelski, Totteringham, Man Spitty and CHARLTON ATHLETIC ffs>>>>>>:tantrum:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here