Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who's the best manager Brighton have ever had?

Best ever Brighton manager

• Total voters

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Like an election in Russia, only one real candidate.

RDZ
Like an election in Russia, people are voting for the wrong candidate.

But yeah is a good example of how demagogues in various disciplines can get popularity.

#votecharlie

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Was contemplating a sympathy vote for George Curtis - sure as hell nobody else would, with him being one of the worst managers we ever had. Then I realised there were others who that could apply to as well! One of them even got a vote too!
So I settled for Pat Saward. That 71-72 season was my peak watching the Albion season, and I thoroughly enjoyed that promotion campaign, and Saward's enthusiasm, his 'buy-a-player campaign (we bought Bert Murray with it) - and I guess life was just great and full of hope and enthusiasm of youth back then too. Yes, you're right - a totally subjective vote!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Mullers for me, but it is hard for people who weren’t even born then to vote for those managers whose teams they never saw play.
Even I wasn’t watching the Albion when Tommy and Charlie were managers!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I can only really comment on the managers I’ve known, but if them it has to be Chris Hughton

Definitely the best human to have managed the club IMHO, and took us to the promised land

sakooshi

Jun 16, 2024
Stand-out names to me: Charlie Webb (4 September 1886 – 13 June 1973), the Irishman who scored the goal against Aston Villa that kind of arguably made us champions of all England in 1910. (The winners of the Southern League used to play the winners of the Football League in the Charity Shield match. In those days the Football League was mainly the Midlands and north. Albion's victory was the only time the winner of the Southern League beat the winners of the Football League). He went on the manage the club for nearly 3 decades (1919–1947).

Tommy Cook, our all time top scorer with 114 goals (just ahead of Glen Murray, who would probably have clinched that honour had he not left for a number of seasons) also played cricket for Sussex. Sadly took his own life a couple of years after his spell as manager.

Brian Clough. If only he'd taken his stint at Brighton more seriously.

Alan Mullery, for me our greatest manager so far, taking us up to the top flight for the first time in our history.

Gus Poyet - we tore up the lower divisions with him, and very nearly clinched promotion to the Premier League.

Oscar Garcia. A very decent coach.

Chris Hughton. Saved us from relegation to League One. Did what it took to get us to the promised land when others playing fancier football had fallen short.

Potter. Good manager, did a good job until he spoilt his reputation in an act of betrayal.

Roberto De Zerbi: took us higher than anyone before, 6th in the top tier and top of our group in Europe.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Mullery for me. Those seasons in the mid to late 70's with Mike Bamber and Mullery were glorious. He also kept us up when all the experts predicted our relegation. Hughton's achievements were eerily similar; missed out on promotion by a whisker, stormed up the following season and then defied the sceptics by keeping us up for 2 seasons before departing.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Barry Lloyd - getting the club to 90 minutes of the top flight under the financial issues of the time was a miracle.

Closely followed by McGhee for similar reasons.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Voted RdZ because under his tenure we got to Europe and had clubs like Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool in our pockets. However as an old git Mullery v1 was amazing, first manager to get us to the top flight. And I loved Micky Adams v1 for bringing us back from the dead.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
nowhere near the top but worth a mention anyway- but our time at the Amex would have been very different had Russell Slade not kept us up. Bloom took over that summer, hired Poyet not that long after and the rest is history. I think we would have eventually got to where we are now eventually but it would have taken longer- as it was we started life in our new stadium having just got promoted from League One with excitement high and the large crowds reflected that, something we've sustained since day one. Not sure the same would have happened if we'd started off at the Amex in League Two or One

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've gone with Mullery, but through the fact he took us to the promised land from a starting position of the third tier, no other manager has done that.
In the modern era Gus may have been better than Mullers but only one promotion and (with one exception) every manager since then was better.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
For what he achieved in the game, Brian Clough*

*not with us

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wouldn't vote him best but want a special mention for Poyet - our best football under him was really, really enjoyable.

That League One promotion season will always be one of my favourites.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
None of them. We haven't won anything. Stupid poll.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Gus Poyet, who brought both glamour and success, despite the shoddy end.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here