Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who’s not watching the World Cup?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Boycotting things doesn't really achieve a lot.

I boycotted M&S when they ignored Covid regs and again when they continued to trade in Russia long after most Western firms had pulled out.

I have always boycotted Nike products because of their use of child labour and exploitation of uyghur muslims.

I have never bought from Amazon or taken a brew at Starbucks because they don't pay their share of UK tax. And from birth I have boycotted the Tories.

Do they give a toss? Nope. Does it change anything? Nope. Do I feel better for doing (what I feel) is the right thing. Yup.
One it’s own or won’t achieve much. But, as I said in my post it gives me inner peace. I also strongly believe in self expression and part of this is expression of thought; I feel it’s good for the soul and good for society and it will lead to better things. Sadly I feel this was beaten out of English culture a long time ago hence we have this “what will it achieve” attitude and a shrug of the shoulders.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You've kind of covered off some of my thoughts there so thanks for a thoughtful reply.

First and foremost I'm a Brighton fan and England fan. I will watch England and I will watch our players. Then I'm a football fan so I get sucked into the other games.

Around that, surely the money for this tournament is baked in already? Sponsors already agreed and whatever took place to get the tournament there in the first place concluded. Seats in stadia purchased even if not occupied. And many sponsors unlikely to return for USA / Canada / Mexico as they're Middle East or Asia based. Others bound to return no matter what for the same reason (Bud, Coke, Maccy D).

The television coverage has been superb, exactly as you say. Covering football and taking every opportunity to shine a light on the grubbiness of the hosts, without crossing a line into Islamophobia or getting themselves removed. And surely we do need to see some of this on our screens?

I get what you and Motogull are saying about ratings but the time to pull the plug was probably Russia, to protest at the awarding of this. But, because it was in the summer and England did well, no one bothered.

I still think we'll see people returning as England do well, over the country, and if Trossard suddenly replaces Hazard or Ecuador have a great tournament, the same will happen on this board.

Anyway, that's my last bit on this thread. I'll enjoy the football and let people who aren't enjoy Sainsburys or reading a good book or the xBox.
Just to clarify something. I'm not enjoying Sainsburys or reading a good book. I'm not enjoying missing the world cup at all. If I was enjoying it, then I wouldn't be an England fan. Missing the game tonight will be horrible. But still, I have Lewes vs Bowers and Pitsea to look forward to tomorrow - and I am looking forward to it.

Delighted to hear that the television coverage is shining a light on the grubbiness of the hosts.

As others have said, individually we achieve little, but at least it keeps the debate alive.

And, I'm not judging anyone that watches. Go for it. I totally understand why. And, in not watching, I'm in no way a better person than anyone else. I just feel like I'm doing something, no matter how helpless I may feel or little it may be.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Amusingly I met up with @Hamilton before a gig on Tuesday - he insisted on The Hop Poles because “They definitely won’t have a telly.”

There was a massive screen at each end of the pub.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I'm not hoping to achieve anything it is more a feeling that I am struggling to be interested.

A couple of times I have thought, 'maybe I should give it a go' but it just doesn't feel right.

I've spent time justifying my decision to others and myself but sometimes I think you just have to do what feels right for yourself.
Mate, if there was ever a decision that did NOT need justifying this is surely it!
Like most of us in this thread you have serious misgivings about this sham and have made a personal decision not to watch and support it. If others cannot see why you have come to that choice, then more fool them. I have also not been looking at any of the match threads but if i had i certainly would not be posting reasons why i think people who have chosen the opposite to me are wrong and foolish.
I have a very good friend who i go to Albion games with and our friendship is much more valuable to me than whether he agrees with me on this particular aspect of the sham tournament or not. To watch or not to watch is a personal and, i am sure for some people on either side of the divide, a difficult one.
On a lighter note i am pleased to say that i am going to watch the U21 versus Monaco this week £2 a ticket for old gits lovely!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I nearly caved for this game this morning. I woke up just as the game was starting and stuck BBC Sounds on to listen as I dozed.

Even though it sounded like a decent start to the game I just couldn't get into it. I think I lasted about 5 minutes.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I nearly caved for this game this morning. I woke up just as the game was starting and stuck BBC Sounds on to listen as I dozed.

Even though it sounded like a decent start to the game I just couldn't get into it. I think I lasted about 5 minutes.
To be fair, you didn't nearly cave in, you did. You listened on the radio.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
At least there's some live FA Cup 2nd Round on BBC 1 today for the WC non-watchers.

King's Lynn v Stevenage (k.o. 12:45pm)
Forest Green v Alvechurch (k.o. 3pm)

I'll happily concede that they're both likely to be much more interesting than the snorefest that was England v USA. :)

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
So, what have people been doing with their time during this enforced break for the ‘Qatari Death Bauble’?

I’ve found FM2023 a useful distraction and worked a bit more than usual.

Normally I’d try to get outside more, but combinations of hail, torrential rain and high winds have made that less pleasant than it should be.
Done a lot more reading and headed out for longer walks when the rain has allowed, which has actually been really nice. I still join in with the banter with my mates, sometimes feel a pinch of feeling gutted having not seen Germany v Japan or Argentina v SA, but all in all still at peace with my decision.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’ve only watched the Qatar v Ecuador game so far. Saw that one out of curiosity about the Albion players. I just can’t be bothered with the rest of it yet. Unappealing kick off times, when I’m at work and a few games I considered watching until I found out they were on ITV. We only have ITV Hub which only has catch up. I have chosen the two FA Cup games today rather than whoever is playing in the World Cup. Winter is for domestic football.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve only watched the Qatar v Ecuador game so far. Saw that one out of curiosity about the Albion players. I just can’t be bothered with the rest of it yet. Unappealing kick off times, when I’m at work and a few games I considered watching until I found out they were on ITV. We only have ITV Hub which only has catch up. I have chosen the two FA Cup games today rather than whoever is playing in the World Cup. Winter is for domestic football.
Not a moral stand, but I’ve watched so little of this WC.

In contrast to 78, 86, 90, 98, 06.

Busy in my life, I’m not going to waste daytimes stuck on the sofa. Plus a bit of it is that this WC was bought with corruption by human rights abusing sport-washers. Just hard to get into it. So far.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Busy in my life, I’m not going to waste daytimes stuck on the sofa. Plus a bit of it is that this WC was bought with corruption by human rights abusing sport-washers. Just hard to get into it. So far.
I think the ‘so far’ bit is quite important. In the past I would watch as many WC games as I could. This time around it’s more like the Champions League ie there will likely be more interest in the latter stages. Having said that I am watching the Wales game. Evening ko, not on ITV (ie I can watch) and British games are always more interesting.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Still not watched any. Not as a protest but general malaise to do with football and this England side. Over hyped? Definitely. As good as we think we are? Probably not. I think Italia 90 was the last time I truly enjoyed an international football tournament. Although I am curious as to how Ale Mac got on.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I feel a bit guilty when I think of the players as kids having a dream to play at a WC and when maybe their only chance comes, silly old fuckers like me refuse to watch. And we have a decent collection out there.

I am also slightly envious of those that must have laughed their tits off watching the final stages of the Iran v Wales game.

On Friday evening, I put up some flat packed thing. I was told my time was spent better doing that than watching the waistcoatwanker's bungling of the game v USA.

I ain't gonna be drawn in.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
So today i had an excursion to Dartford to see the Albion ladies play in the conti cup. Very small modern ground with about six rows of seats down one side and shallow terracing round the other three. Most unique item was the large wooden sculpture of a man holding up one of the roof structures.
Very nearly as many Albion fans there as London Lionesses though to be truthful not a large quantity of either really. At least i got to see a victory 2-1 which in truth but for a disallowed goal and a few missed chances should have been more convincing. We had the better of a hard fought first half and went in one up mostly thanks to their keeper having a rush of blood and racing out to a ball she could not get. The London goal was scored when we were down to ten players after a long delay in play due to a head injury to Elizabeth Terland (hope she is ok) though i wondered at the time why play recommenced without us making a sub as it seemed pretty obvious she would not be able to return. After that we mostly dominated proceedings scoring our second with a great header from Victoria Williams although because we did not put the game to bed the last five minutes and injury time of seven were a bit fraught, it was crying out for the Albion to just settle down, play some possesion football, and see the game out.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

The irony, I suppose, is that the 1978 World Cup was the most corrupt of all. You and I were probably too young to know it.

It was said that the cries of the tortured prisoners in the facility opposite the main stadium were drowned out by the crowd.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The irony, I suppose, is that the 1978 World Cup was the most corrupt of all. You and I were probably too young to know it.

It was said that the cries of the tortured prisoners in the facility opposite the main stadium were drowned out by the crowd.
Well, exactly, but an inconvenient statement for many our age who were sucked in by the kits and ticker tape. Not to mention it was held in the Argentinian winter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here