Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who’s not watching the World Cup?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep. Me again. But I have a genuine question that can be answered by any or all boycotters:

What do you hope to achieve by not watching this tournament?
Nothing - and it's not really much to do with Qatar. I've had no real interest in international football since Euro '96. I wouldn't claim to be boycotting it - happy to admit I've caught snippets when the Bobkin Jnrs have been watching, but not nothing more.

Love the Albion, but couldn't really contain my indifference about football beyond the Engtish game. I find it baffling how so many people (not necessarily on here) have an issue with it. Ironically, they are often people who typically have zero interest in the game themselves 🤣🤣

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I get it, I do, but I think its just letting them win. We didn't choose this country to host the world cup, but thats not out fault, the fans nor the players, its still the world cup, the peoples game, not the suits' game, and that's how I'm treating it.
I understand, I’m just so unenthused by because of that I’m not even sure I’d join in celebrations if England won it! Be so typical if we did!

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Tried watching a few games with a mask on but the stench is still coming through.

Have rapidly lost what little interest I had to start with - how oppressive and depressing it’s all become. I have a lot of social events coming up which I had been really looking forward to (which OK were just basically sitting around with mates drinking, having food and watching games at the local club, pub or people’s houses but still … now I’ll just get pissed and go through the motions and get marginally excited by some good football).

Thanks Qatar, I am sure fans will thank you for years to come for such a f***ing ‘First-class Experience’

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Yep. Me again. But I have a genuine question that can be answered by any or all boycotters:

As is so often the case (see also: 'every protest ever') nothing is achieved individually.

But if enough people turn off and tune out and the viewing figures drop significantly, especialy in richer nations (as apparenty has happened in germany even before their team turned out to be shit), then advertising value drops, money drops, people pay attention and something is acheived. But systemic change never happens instantly as a result of one event (see also: 'every protest ever'). It's cumulative over time. That said, there are often moments when things visibly begin to shift.

And beyond the boycotts there is a different 'feel' to this world cup. I am not boycotting personally (but happy that some are). I lost interest in England a long time ago, for various reasons, but enjoy watching the smaller teams, the African teams and teams with brighton players, and I'm too weak to resist. That said, I am not watching as avidly or with the same interest as usual. I think the UK broadcasters (with notable individual exceptions) are getting the tone about right. Covering the football as football, but not letting anyone forget the wider context. It all feels tainted and you can be sure that all those involved will be feeling the heat as a result. You can see the defensiveness in Infantino.

Of course the protest at corruption of FIFA should have come much earlier. But change often comes about when things are pushed too far for too long (a women killed in custody in Iran, a women refusing to give up a seat on a bus in the US...etc etc) and I am delighted at how much exposure is being given to human rights and workers rights in the region. Workers rights, via the kafala system have been awful across the middle east for a long time and maybe, just maybe, a few more people will think twice before heading off to Dubai to get themselves some cheap bling and instragram selfies on the back of desperate and expolited Bangladeshis (though I am not hopeful about the type of people that I know who holiday in Dubai giving a shit).

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

Directly? Nothing.

However, advertisers and FIFA itself will both keep a very close eye on viewing figures and how products/brands sponsoring such events perform during the sponsorship period.

Where possible I’ve tried to avoid purchasing products from brands associated with the World Cup and not watched it, reducing viewing figures by one, and reducing the sales of the tournaments sponsors. I’m not alone.

FIFA relies heavily on being able to sell the World Cup as one of the world’s most watched sporting events, and the commercial opportunities that brings. I’m not naïve enough to believe we’re going to make a major difference to FIFA’s finances or its ability to attract commercial partners, but if brands don’t see ROI (return on investment) then they will prioritise other events over the World Cup.

The hope is that even a tiny wobble in the continuous growth of FIFAs commercial deal making may encourage FIFA to look at areas outside of a narrow technical remit (such as a country’s human rights record and attitude to worker’s rights) before awarding the World Cup.

Make no mistake, as corrupt as FIFA are, I would probably hold my nose, forget the politics and just watch the football if the tournament was being held in a place where thousands hadn’t died in the stadia construction and there wasn’t direct persecution of homosexuality. I can’t expect a perfect world, but this is so far over the other side of that line that I won’t touch it, because if I participated I’m effectively saying that it’s ok for thousands to die for my entertainment in a football tournament, and that I don’t mind people being hounded for loving who they love.

TL/DR:- not much, but perhaps a little.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Contributing to low viewing figures which sends a message to the bellends that gave them the nod that we want proper places hosting the greatest football tournament on earth. What next, the f***ing antarctic?
Saudi Arabia must now be itching to host a World Cup.

When is the next venue vote ?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
lower case

you don’t have to not watch
i keep saying to myself
it’s not your fault
not our fault
not the players’ fault
not the game’s fault
modern football did it
we didn’t
you’re not letting anyone down
if you watch it
and the World Cup
has been a big thing for you
ever since it had a willie
but this isn’t a World Cup
it’s a world cup
lower case
wrong place
out of season
for one reason…..

money

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As is so often the case (see also: 'every protest ever') nothing is achieved individually.

But if enough people turn off and tune out and the viewing figures drop significantly, especialy in richer nations (as apparenty has happened in germany even before their team turned out to be shit), then advertising value drops, money drops, people pay attention and something is acheived. But systemic change never happens instantly as a result of one event (see also: 'every protest ever'). It's cumulative over time. That said, there are often moments when things visibly begin to shift.

And beyond the boycotts there is a different 'feel' to this world cup. I am not boycotting personally (but happy that some are). I lost interest in England a long time ago, for various reasons, but enjoy watching the smaller teams, the African teams and teams with brighton players, and I'm too weak to resist. That said, I am not watching as avidly or with the same interest as usual. I think the UK broadcasters (with notable individual exceptions) are getting the tone about right. Covering the football as football, but not letting anyone forget the wider context. It all feels tainted and you can be sure that all those involved will be feeling the heat as a result. You can see the defensiveness in Infantino.

Of course the protest at corruption of FIFA should have come much earlier. But change often comes about when things are pushed too far for too long (a women killed in custody in Iran, a women refusing to give up a seat on a bus in the US...etc etc) and I am delighted at how much exposure is being given to human rights and workers rights in the region. Workers rights, via the kafala system have been awful across the middle east for a long time and maybe, just maybe, a few more people will think twice before heading off to Dubai to get themselves some cheap bling and instragram selfies on the back of desperate and expolited Bangladeshis (though I am not hopeful about the type of people that I know who holiday in Dubai giving a shit).
You've kind of covered off some of my thoughts there so thanks for a thoughtful reply.

First and foremost I'm a Brighton fan and England fan. I will watch England and I will watch our players. Then I'm a football fan so I get sucked into the other games.

Around that, surely the money for this tournament is baked in already? Sponsors already agreed and whatever took place to get the tournament there in the first place concluded. Seats in stadia purchased even if not occupied. And many sponsors unlikely to return for USA / Canada / Mexico as they're Middle East or Asia based. Others bound to return no matter what for the same reason (Bud, Coke, Maccy D).

The television coverage has been superb, exactly as you say. Covering football and taking every opportunity to shine a light on the grubbiness of the hosts, without crossing a line into Islamophobia or getting themselves removed. And surely we do need to see some of this on our screens?

I get what you and Motogull are saying about ratings but the time to pull the plug was probably Russia, to protest at the awarding of this. But, because it was in the summer and England did well, no one bothered.

I still think we'll see people returning as England do well, over the country, and if Trossard suddenly replaces Hazard or Ecuador have a great tournament, the same will happen on this board.

Anyway, that's my last bit on this thread. I'll enjoy the football and let people who aren't enjoy Sainsburys or reading a good book or the xBox.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Directly? Nothing.

However, advertisers and FIFA itself will both keep a very close eye on viewing figures and how products/brands sponsoring such events perform during the sponsorship period.

Where possible I’ve tried to avoid purchasing products from brands associated with the World Cup and not watched it, reducing viewing figures by one, and reducing the sales of the tournaments sponsors. I’m not alone.

FIFA relies heavily on being able to sell the World Cup as one of the world’s most watched sporting events, and the commercial opportunities that brings. I’m not naïve enough to believe we’re going to make a major difference to FIFA’s finances or its ability to attract commercial partners, but if brands don’t see ROI (return on investment) then they will prioritise other events over the World Cup.

The hope is that even a tiny wobble in the continuous growth of FIFAs commercial deal making may encourage FIFA to look at areas outside of a narrow technical remit (such as a country’s human rights record and attitude to worker’s rights) before awarding the World Cup.

Make no mistake, as corrupt as FIFA are, I would probably hold my nose, forget the politics and just watch the football if the tournament was being held in a place where thousands hadn’t died in the stadia construction and there wasn’t direct persecution of homosexuality. I can’t expect a perfect world, but this is so far over the other side of that line that I won’t touch it, because if I participated I’m effectively saying that it’s ok for thousands to die for my entertainment in a football tournament, and that I don’t mind people being hounded for loving who they love.

TL/DR:- not much, but perhaps a little.
And this

Two really good posts from @highflyer and @chickens

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nothing - and it's not really much to do with Qatar. I've had no real interest in international football since Euro '96. I wouldn't claim to be boycotting it - happy to admit I've caught snippets when the Bobkin Jnrs have been watching, but not nothing more.

Love the Albion, but couldn't really contain my indifference about football beyond the Engtish game. I find it baffling how so many people (not necessarily on here) have an issue with it. Ironically, they are often people who typically have zero interest in the game themselves 🤣🤣
This is exactly how I feel. I love watching the Albion and enjoy going to games. Football beyond this really does not interest me much. I have other hobbies and interest which I devote my time to when the Albion are not playing.

I did check-in on the opening game and Germany Japan as I wanted to see how the Albion boys go on. But this is all so far. I wouldn’t say I’m boycotting it though, more I have little interest.

Referring back to the @Guinness Boy question, what do boycotters hope to achieve….there’s a few things I boycott/don’t do because I don’t agree or feel comfortable with. I don’t necessarily expect to achieve anything other than some inner peace. I think it’s healthy to
question one’s actions and act accordingly.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

The TV broadcasters knowing that I'm a football fan but giving this filth of a World Cup a huge middle finger. I watch all football that's on terrestrial television and I'll be watching the FA Cup second round this weekend (it's so lovely seeing non-league clubs reach the third round and possibly drawing Liverpool or Spurs etc).

I check scores because they also have the Women's Super League on and every match that is goalless feels like a victory for me in saving two hours and I'm trying to use that time constructively. The first week of the WC has cost me a couple of friends on here and someone at work so that is sad. But I can't bring myself to watch it because my heart bleeds for all the migrants that had to work in horrifying conditions and nearly all of them have either died or are suffering post-traumatic-stress. This isn't about football, it's a very small gesture of protest but when Monday 20th December arrives, I'll be able to look myself in the mirror and say "I did my bit for boycotting something that was truly disgusting".

This is the lowest time ever for world football.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I'm not hoping to achieve anything it is more a feeling that I am struggling to be interested.

A couple of times I have thought, 'maybe I should give it a go' but it just doesn't feel right.

I've spent time justifying my decision to others and myself but sometimes I think you just have to do what feels right for yourself.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The first week of the WC has cost me a couple of friends on here and someone at work so that is sad.
I hope I'm not one of them mate. I value your comments and friendship here.

We can agree to disagree on the secondary things (like this particular World Cup) whilst still having the primary things (NSC, Albion and a love of football as a whole) very much in common. That goes for anyone else not watching too btw.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I hope I'm not one of them mate. I value your comments and friendship here.

We can agree to disagree on the secondary things (like this particular World Cup) whilst still having the primary things (NSC, Albion and a love of football as a whole) very much in common. That goes for anyone else not watching too btw.
You're a good person, hart's shirt. No worries mate. You bring plenty to the table on NSC so I would never put you on ignore.

Back in September when England were relegated from the Nations League, I felt the need to apologise to you because I swore and felt really bad about it afterwards.

I haven't read the comments on day five after I posted on the World Cup matches being low-scoring - hoping that they'd all be goalless but it seemed to get pretty nasty early on from a few posters I had respected. I've stuck some of them on ignore for the first time ever in over 13 years on here. I don't need that kind of abuse at the moment with my anxiety about something private.

Thanks pal. Don't feel bad about the World Cup - it's your choice and I respect that. I hope you enjoy it. (y)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You're a good person, hart's shirt. No worries mate. You bring plenty to the table on NSC so I would never put you on ignore.

Back in September when England were relegated from the Nations League, I felt the need to apologise to you because I swore and felt really bad about it afterwards.

I haven't read the comments on day five after I posted on the World Cup matches being low-scoring - hoping that they'd all be goalless but it seemed to get pretty nasty early on from a few posters I had respected. I've stuck some of them on ignore for the first time ever in over 13 years on here. I don't need that kind of abuse at the moment with my anxiety about something private.

Thanks pal. Don't feel bad about the World Cup - it's your choice and I respect that. I hope you enjoy it. (y)
I was going to ask how you've lost friends over it, but it looks like you've answered it – sorry to hear that.

I honestly don't understand some people!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
the time to pull the plug was probably Russia, to protest at the awarding of this. But, because it was in the summer and England did well, no one bothered.
Not quite. Well not for me. If we want to get all pissy knickered, no smegging country would host it, or a game because no country is 'perfect'. Whilst Russia is dodgy, they have a plentiful supply of grass and football leagues. I accept that drawing lines is not easy but 'terrain' must be right up there.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Boycotting things doesn't really achieve a lot.

I boycotted M&S when they ignored Covid regs and again when they continued to trade in Russia long after most Western firms had pulled out.

I have always boycotted Nike products because of their use of child labour and exploitation of uyghur muslims.

I have never bought from Amazon or taken a brew at Starbucks because they don't pay their share of UK tax. And from birth I have boycotted the Tories.

Do they give a toss? Nope. Does it change anything? Nope. Do I feel better for doing (what I feel) is the right thing. Yup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here