Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who’s not watching the World Cup?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Fantastic watch. This England side are great to watch in tournaments.

Join the growing band wagon as the haters start hiding AGAIN

Dec 29, 2011
Every 4 years since i was a nipper i have excitedly filled in the scores on my wallchart, added up total goals scored by group and individual teams, plotted who would meet who or avoid who in the next round etc. But not this time.
I came to the decision myself that i personally would not watch what i consider to be a sham of a tournament. It was not done lightly or with any air of "look at me" i bear no ill will to people who made a different decision, nor will i seek to persuade them or justify my own position.
I would only ask please that those of another persuasion, no matter how foolish or simple or idiotic they think i am, refrain from coming on this thread with posts seeking to belittle my views or attempt to make light of them with what they mistakenly believe to be hilarious jokes.
Believe me, if i did not know it before, i am now fully aware of the effect of my decision on myself but have read or heard nothing that makes me think it was wrong or worth reconsidering.
I am also well aware that there will be some who read this and think "what a w***er" but remember we all share the love of BHA.
I can't disagree with this. $200bn spent, 6,000 lives lost. Discrimination against Jews, gay and transgender people. An absolute disgrace to football and I for one won't be encouraging it with my viewing figures. Roll on USA 2026, it can't come soon enough.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I can't disagree with this. $200bn spent, 6,000 lives lost. Discrimination against Jews, gay and transgender people. An absolute disgrace to football and I for one won't be encouraging it with my viewing figures. Roll on USA 2026, it can't come soon enough.
A gun toting nation and wouldn’t want to call on the US health service as a poor man with a bullet in the back. I won’t be watching…..anything.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can you stick to your funny posts, this comes across a bit wanky.
Not sure I'm considered particularly 'funny'. But I'll carry my opinion against the jaundiced "England are SHIT, Southgate is SHIT" agenda on here from several regulars. We're obviously not going to win the thing, but the whole slagging off of England, followed by the infintely smug "told you so" bollocks when it all goes tits up, is something I find very tiresome.

We (well England, as so many apparently want to disassociate from them) were cuffing brilliant this afternoon. If others wish to completely turn their back on them then fair enough. Just my opinion, but they are deliberately missing out on what could be a very enoyable run in this tournament. I'm a fan of Come Dine With Me, but if its up against England v France in the WCQF....unlike the ones with higher principals, I'm afraid I shall succumb.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
To be honest, I've got very bored with the endless, ENDLESS slagging off of England and Southgate. The tournament is one thing, which anyone with a braincell would acknowledge it shouldn't be there. But some seem to take particular delight in the failure of the national team, and are just waiting for England to proper f*** up, so the PROPER slagging can commence.

You know who you are. And at least for today, you've been disarmed.

But of course, you'll be back
Maybe you could start another thread about those people, this one ain't really about that.

I would suggest Who's not watching England? As a thread title.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Am genuinely surprised by the levels of hate and vitriol that have been generated by some of us choosing to not watch this World Cup.

There’s a lot of different people with a lot of different reasons for not viewing, but the reaction by some seems totally out of proportion to the degree it affects them. I look forward to Boxing Day and a return to Albion matches.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Just to be clear, in 1978 Argentina was run by a right wing military Junta who "disappeared" people at regular intervals, caused a war in the Falklands and are estimated to have killed circa 30,000 people in a seven year reign.

Spain hosted the World Cup in '82, seven years after Franco was ousted and, to this day, Catalans and Basques fight for the separatism they probably deserve.

In 2018 we were all ok with Russia hosting the tournament, despite the fact it had illegally been in Ukraine for four years or so. They are now attempting to start World War Three.

And only in 2021 the Euros took off around the whole of Europe despite a global pandemic and climate crisis, including, in Hungary, a country that treats LGBTQ+ people just as badly as Qatar, only more sneakily, and without the excuse of millennia of religious and tribal culture that very few in the West understand.

But this is your red line?
I can't speak for anyone else and haven't read the whole thread so apologies if I'm making the same point others have made, but the reason I'm not watching it is because of FIFA, their rotten corrupt decision to award the world cup to a country with no infrastructure for a football tournament and the subsequent mistreatment and death of an estimated 6500 migrant workers to provide the stadiums/infrastructure. I suspect for every one death there were several more severe/life changing injuries, so let's call that 15000-20000 people. I can't get any entertainment from watching a spectacle in those stadiums knowing what it took to build them. The LGBTQ rights issues etc don't help but is not the main problem I have with the tournament.

I don't know where my red line, but I'm 100% certain that this is the wrong side of that line.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I can't speak for anyone else and haven't read the whole thread so apologies if I'm making the same point others have made, but the reason I'm not watching it is because of FIFA, their rotten corrupt decision to award the world cup to a country with no infrastructure for a football tournament and the subsequent mistreatment and death of an estimated 6500 migrant workers to provide the stadiums/infrastructure. I suspect for every one death there were several more severe/life changing injuries, so let's call that 15000-20000 people. I can't get any entertainment from watching a spectacle in those stadiums knowing what it took to build them. The LGBTQ rights issues etc don't help but is not the main problem I have with the tournament.

I don't know where my red line, but I'm 100% certain that this is the wrong side of that line.
I would try and get your facts right. The 6500 number is just plain wrong. I'm surprised the guardian haven't retracted that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I would try and get your facts right. The 6500 number is just plain wrong. I'm surprised the guardian haven't retracted that.
The right number is 37??

Hard to get facts right when no-one really knows.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I certainly agree that FIFA are the problem far more than Qatar. But don’t expect it to change. Infantino is about to be re-elected unopposed. So I assume these boycotts of international games will stay in place for people for long after Qatar is finished?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I certainly agree that FIFA are the problem far more than Qatar. But don’t expect it to change. Infantino is about to be re-elected unopposed. So I assume these boycotts of international games will stay in place for people for long after Qatar is finished?
Why do you care GB?

The world cup is still isn't it? Yet you are on this thread trying to pick holes in people's reasons for not wanting to watch this world cup.

The reasons are explained over and over, what is it you are looking for?

People are giving you the list of things that has caused them to boycott this world cup. Human right, FIFA corruption, LGBTI+, death in the construction etc etc.

Then you are picking one of those things (ignoring the fact that there is a list - the list is important) and chucking in some whataboutery. What about Argentina 78? (Why didn't I boycott that? Well . . . I was four). What about USA? What about Hungry? what about Russia?

What you are missing is the fact that there is a list of things wrong with this world cup. That is what pushes it over the line for people. None of the other world cups had the perfect storm of all the problems.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Why do you care GB?

The world cup is still isn't it? Yet you are on this thread trying to pick holes in people's reasons for not wanting to watch this world cup.

The reasons are explained over and over, what is it you are looking for?
Because this sort of direct action should have happened years ago.

To mix metaphors the horse has bolted so a football fan not turning their telly on for a football match is cutting off your nose to spite your face

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Because this sort of direct action should have happened years ago.

To mix metaphors the horse has bolted so a football fan not turning their telly on for a football match is cutting off your nose to spite your face
Edited my post.

Better late than never no? As you alluded to earlier this world cup is the first one to cross people's red line. The reason for that is that there is a long list of things wrong with it.

But agree or disagree with that, I don't get why you are on here trying to make people justify their reasons instead of watching the thing you want to watch. Isn't that also cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Not sure I'm considered particularly 'funny'. But I'll carry my opinion against the jaundiced "England are SHIT, Southgate is SHIT" agenda on here from several regulars. We're obviously not going to win the thing, but the whole slagging off of England, followed by the infintely smug "told you so" bollocks when it all goes tits up, is something I find very tiresome.

We (well England, as so many apparently want to disassociate from them) were cuffing brilliant this afternoon. If others wish to completely turn their back on them then fair enough. Just my opinion, but they are deliberately missing out on what could be a very enoyable run in this tournament. I'm a fan of Come Dine With Me, but if its up against England v France in the WCQF....unlike the ones with higher principals, I'm afraid I shall succumb.

What an embarrassing post.

They played Iran, and still managed to concede two goals. I won't be watching them and I stand by what I said - I will not watch a single game they play with that odious man in charge. Unless of course they play Equador, where I'll be cheering on the team in yellow.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Edited my post.

Better late than never no? As you alluded to earlier this world cup is the first one to cross people's red line. The reason for that is that there is a long list of things wrong with it.

But agree or disagree with that, I don't get why you are on here trying to make people justify their reasons instead of watching the thing you want to watch. Isn't that also cutting off your nose to spite your face?
I’m answering posts where people are quoting me and asking me questions 🤷‍♂️

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What an embarrassing post.

They played Iran, and still managed to concede two goals. I won't be watching them and I stand by what I said - I will not watch a single game they play with that odious man in charge. Unless of course they play Equador, where I'll be cheering on the team in yellow.
Standard.

If we beat someone, we're still shit.
If we lose to someone, we're ULTRA shit.
Any progress = lucky

Bore off.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I watched the first half and seriously felt almost no emotion when England scored and didn’t even bother with the second. I just found it utterly boring. I can’t wait for it all to be over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here