Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who’s not watching the World Cup?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’d be interesting to ask that brave campaigner Harry Kane why he thinks not a single gay player has been able to come out during the Premier League era. The law of averages says during his career alone he must have played alongside probably a few.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I think there's a common mistake made by many in the 'Western world' that 'our' view of the world is the majority view of the world. It isn't.
I don't think many people are making that mistake. More that some (or many), people want to make a stand up in some small way or other for what they think is right. If that takes the form of refusing to watch the world cup then so be it - Maybe that tells FIFA, and Qatar a little about how some people feel, Infantino is clearly rattled and that's great, hopefully this will make a tiny little difference, probably not but small steps are better than holding our hands up and saying it's none of our business....

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Have to say well put.

Putin showed his hand long before the world cup reached his shores but no one seemed too upset. I wonder how many taking a stand against Qatar also take a stand against China by ensuring they don't purchase products made there? Surely Russia, and for that matter, China, pose a greater threat to the world than Qatar.

Qatar seems to be a shitty sandy place, run by shit people who treat decent people like shit but on a macro level the threat to the world is Russia and China.
Is it ok if we oppose all 3 please?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I assume that those boycotting this tournament for reasons cited will also be avoiding our games v Newcastle.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think there's a common mistake made by many in the 'Western world' that 'our' view of the world is the majority view of the world. It isn't.
I think you could well be right.

And, that makes it all the more important that we stand up for the rights of people to express their sexuality; we protect people no matter their gender, and we make sure that workers are treated fairly and are allowed to work in safe conditions.

Whether that is a majority view or not, I think it is the right view and one that we should happily stand up for. My respect for football will rise immeasurably if they stand together and send out a message that sometimes there are things that are more important than the game.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I assume that those boycotting this tournament for reasons cited will also be avoiding our games v Newcastle.
No. But I will not be going to Newcastle if that helps.

But, as with all scenarios where there is a death by a thousand cuts, eventually something gives. This season I've bought my first Lewes FC season ticket. I'm enjoying it immensely. And I don't have to be worried about be embarrassed by the club's decisions off the pitch.

You simply do what you can, when you can.

And, as I've said, I'm not judging anyone who watches this WC. I want to watch the WC too. I just have to do and say something - no matter how small it is.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Interesting that the Dutch FA are quoted as saying "we will take a critical look at our relationship with FIFA in the coming period" in response to the armband thing. Wonder if there will be serious talk of a breakaway?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It’d be interesting to ask that brave campaigner Harry Kane why he thinks not a single gay player has been able to come out during the Premier League era. The law of averages says during his career alone he must have played alongside probably a few.

What is your point ? Do you think Kane is preventing anyone from coming out ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What is your point ? Do you think Kane is preventing anyone from coming out ?
No I don’t think he is. But there’s obviously a reason why it doesn’t happen in his own profession, so curious as to why he thinks he can lecture others for the same thing

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That's brave.

All I'd like one of our players or manager to do is wear an arm band and get a yellow card. This bloke could face real consequences for speaking out.

Come on Harry. 'Take one for the team.'

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The problem is FIFA has allowed a country who does not share their values to host the FIFA World Cup.

FIFA has values ?? Oh, silly me, yes they do - the same as Qatar - $$$$$$$$$$

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here