Votes: 182 95.8%
  • Roberto De Zerbi sacked by Brighton

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
GPott to go first, swiftly being replaced at 'The Bridge' by Zerbz.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
GPott to go first, swiftly being replaced at 'The Bridge' by Zerbz.

I’m not so sure about that………

RZB - I want a release clause.

TB - £22m is our standard plus a further £1m for each of your back room staff.

RZB - This is acceptable.

TB - And double those amounts for Chelsea.

RZB - If that gets me the job, OK.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Do you have any particular opinion on Boehly from an American perspective (sorry if you've posted it elsewhere already)? There's obviously various tidbits about different American owners floating around but I can't say I've ever directly read an American's view on what Boehly or the FSG lads are like as owners.

I am not a fan of the other teams he owns or has a vested interest in(Dodgers in the MLB, Lakers in the NBA or Sparks in the WNBA) but I do have some friends out there who are fans of all of them and they do periodically vent to me about he runs things, especially the financial side of things. He always talks about ways to gain a financial edge on other competitors through various means, while being successful at the same time. He has invested a lot into the Dodgers and the Lakers, and paying dividends with the former but not so much the latter, but sure it will.

I think in the grand scheme of things, he bought Chelsea more for the prestige and financial attractiveness of it, more than anything else. Don't get me wrong, and as my friends have told me, he wants to win trophies and championships as much as the next person, but financial rewards come first and foremost.

FSG from my perspective seems to be a little bit more attuned and being more involved with the fans and not so much the financial gains of it. Two of their teams(Liverpool, and Red Sox in the MLB) have been quite successful under their ownership, so they must be doing something right. They just recently bought the Penguins in the NHL so time will tell on that, but have made some decent offseason moves already, so sure will not be long before they are a NHL powerhouse again.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Graham who? Never heard of the bloke.

But in all seriousness, I don't expect either of them to be in too much danger this season unless things go exceptionally bad. As much as people want to hate on Todd whathisname, I have a feeling his thinking is more long term.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Think 4 straight defeats for Chelsea will put Potter under immense pressure.

Or, in Todd’s view, if his MLSPG* goes under four point oh?

*Most Lossiest Streak Per Game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know nothing about De Zerbi but I do know Potter does not come across that well when things aren’t going well and gets quite touchy and sarky about criticism . He is not averse to having a pop at the fans if they don’t appear to be behind him. This could turn toxic very quickly if he does it at Chelsea after some bad results.

I noticed how confident and chirpy he was in pre match pressers this season, it’ll be interesting to see if he reverts to his early days here demeanour at Chelsea. Things could of course go very well at Chelsea and he’ll be loved by their fans after a few rounds of Potterball and good results

Where’s the fence option because that’s where I’m sitting?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Bloom gave Hyppia six months. Under the circumstances that was quite patient.

Bloom will give De Zerbi plenty of time.

And Bloom didn’t sack Hyppia and wouldn’t have done. He resigned.

We have a proven record of giving people time. Chelsea have said they will, but will they actually do it. I think they will be in it for the long term, but we will see.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The guaranteed £60 million, if Chelsea do indeed honour the 5 year deal, is the ultimate softener, but Roberto will outlast Graham at their respective jobs, IMHO.

“The grass is always greener, but ultimately it’s still grass” Frank Sinatra 1968.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The squad Hyypia had was nowhere near as good as the ones Poyet and Garcia had over the previous two seasons but nowhere near as bad as Hyypia had it playing. We'd lost players like Ashley Barnes, Andrea Orlandi, Leo Ulloa and Matt Upson over the previous 6 months and replaced them with a lot of loan players (only Liverpools João Carlos Teixeira came out of the season with any credit) and the likes of Chris O'Grady, Aaron Hughes and Paddy McCourt. Even ex England striker Darren Bent looked lost playing for us.

We were sleepwalking back to League 1 before Hyypia did the decent thing and Hughton came in and steadied the ship with a very pragmatic approach to the second half of the season, helped in no small part by the signing of King Kayal from Celtic to add some midfield bite.

Kayal was the first signing made by Paul Winstanley, identified in his interview as the perfect player for Brighton to sign. Pretty accurate at the time and not many duffers signed during his reign. I'm glad he didn't head to Chelsea

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I know nothing about De Zerbi but I do know Potter does not come across that well when things aren’t going well and gets quite touchy and sarky about criticism . He is not averse to having a pop at the fans if they don’t appear to be behind him. This could turn toxic very quickly if he does it at Chelsea after some bad results.

?

Both Dan Burn and Glenn Murray on 5 Live last week specifically praised GP for how he coped/supported the team , his behaviour - when they’d lost or things weren’t going well.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Champions league doesn't count as kicking a competitive ball? Interesting take

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I noticed how confident and chirpy he was in pre match pressers this season, it’ll be interesting to see if he reverts to his early days here demeanour at Chelsea. Things could of course go very well at Chelsea and he’ll be loved by their fans after a few rounds of Potterball and good results

Where’s the fence option because that’s where I’m sitting?

I remember how calm and positive Potter always seemed to be even when we’d experienced a gross injustice or ridiculous outcome, he always seemed to be able to look forward with a positive about his side. Sure he had a couple of moments fans irritated him, and made an off the cuff comment which of course got blown out of all proportion but generally comes across as one of the calmest managers in the top flight when up against it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
GP proved himself a top class coach here, but the one thing I wonder is how he handles 'problem' players ? Andone was shipped out very quickly and Maupay didn't last long when he was no longer a starter. There may be a few more 'delicate' players at Chelsea than Brighton.

Secondly, although Boehly has given every indication that it is a long term project, I'm not sure Chelsea fans would necessarily show the same level of patience, so GP gets my vote.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Both Dan Burn and Glenn Murray on 5 Live last week specifically praised GP for how he coped/supported the team , his behaviour - when they’d lost or things weren’t going well.

I was referring to the way he reacted in post match interviews about the fans and to the questions he was being asked, I never once heard him say anything negative about any of the players, refreshing in this era.

Are you telling me you never noticed him being prickly in pre and post match interviews. He came across as relaxed, happy and jokey this season before he left. I certainly noticed a difference from his early days and some during the last two seasons. My point is that he should maybe consider reining in any criticism of Chelsea fans regardless of what has happened during games :shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I remember how calm and positive Potter always seemed to be even when we’d experienced a gross injustice or ridiculous outcome, he always seemed to be able to look forward with a positive about his side. Sure he had a couple of moments fans irritated him, and made an off the cuff comment which of course got blown out of all proportion but generally comes across as one of the calmest managers in the top flight when up against it.

On the playing front and the public handling of players he was as good as a manager can get imo. Maybe it's just me that thought he was a bit touchy about the fans, saying that I was totally behind him on the Leeds booing but look how that got blown up, try that at Chelsea and it will be magnified massively. Avoid it and he'll get much more support from the fans imo.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was referring to the way he reacted in post match interviews about the fans and to the questions he was being asked, I never once heard him say anything negative about any of the players, refreshing in this era.

Are you telling me you never noticed him being prickly in pre and post match interviews. He came across as relaxed, happy and jokey this season before he left. I certainly noticed a difference from his early days and some during the last two seasons. My point is that he should maybe consider reining in any criticism of Chelsea fans regardless of what has happened during games :shrug:

This.

A notable change since The Emirates last April with finally results matching performances. Potter relaxed, smiling, he was able to ditch the strain and sometimes prickliness.

I used to feel for him as we outplayed opponents, but couldn’t convert that into goals, invariably at home. He tried to hide it, but he looked gutted.

His eternal positivity was imho with the players, I remember Dunk mentioning it a few times after defeats. They loved that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here