• Graham Potter sacked by Chelsea

Votes: 182 95.8%
  • Roberto De Zerbi sacked by Brighton

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I know nothing about De Zerbi but I do know Potter does not come across that well when things aren’t going well and gets quite touchy and sarky about criticism . He is not averse to having a pop at the fans if they don’t appear to be behind him. This could turn toxic very quickly if he does it at Chelsea after some bad results.

I noticed how confident and chirpy he was in pre match pressers this season, it’ll be interesting to see if he reverts to his early days here demeanour at Chelsea. Things could of course go very well at Chelsea and he’ll be loved by their fans after a few rounds of Potterball and good results

Where’s the fence option because that’s where I’m sitting?

GP looked a little out of his comfort zone post Salzburg interview. Guess he heard the boos and realised that this was a much harsher environment than BHA. A few boos at the Amex v Leeds is chicken feed compared to the flak he could get from the most spoilt and entitled set of fans in football. He has to win them over quickly, particularly those that feel aggrieved at the Tuchel sacking. Some will lose patience with GP's constant changes and tinkering. Some will love it.
RDZ will be given time and a chance to consolidate our top flight position. GP will be expected to get through the CL group and finish top four in the PL. More pressure, more expectation and less time to achieve results.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
I am not a fan of the other teams he owns or has a vested interest in(Dodgers in the MLB, Lakers in the NBA or Sparks in the WNBA) but I do have some friends out there who are fans of all of them and they do periodically vent to me about he runs things, especially the financial side of things.

You are obviously still getting used to NSC. When one has a friend or relative giving insider opinions, the only acceptable one is "he is shithouse". :moo:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If Chelsea finish 5th or lower this season Potter’s out on his ear. That’s how it works at those clubs.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I was referring to the way he reacted in post match interviews about the fans and to the questions he was being asked, I never once heard him say anything negative about any of the players, refreshing in this era.

Are you telling me you never noticed him being prickly in pre and post match interviews. He came across as relaxed, happy and jokey this season before he left. I certainly noticed a difference from his early days and some during the last two seasons. My point is that he should maybe consider reining in any criticism of Chelsea fans regardless of what has happened during games :shrug:

I don’t remember him criticising the fans at all. Or being “prickly”. He handled the media really well. In fact he went out of his way to praise them - he got on well with 99% of fans. . (Aside from the justified single time he was irked after boogate - which some are still very precious about).

He’s one of the most assured managers when dealing with the media and the expectation from some that he won’t be able to cope with the pressure at Chelsea is either bad faith wishful thinking or not borne out by close attention to the last three years.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The Americans said if they don’t qualify this season for champions league they won’t sack him.

I think that will depend on how far short of the mark he falls.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t remember him criticising the fans at all. Or being “prickly”. He handled the media really well. In fact he went out of his way to praise them - he got on well with 99% of fans. . (Aside from the justified single time he was irked after boogate - which some are still very precious about).

He’s one of the most assured managers when dealing with the media and the expectation from some that he won’t be able to cope with the pressure at Chelsea is either bad faith wishful thinking or not borne out by close attention to the last three years.

You don’t don’t do people having a different viewpoint do you? Really patronising and bullshit final paragraph there

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
You don’t don’t do people having a different viewpoint do you? Really patronising and bullshit final paragraph there

It's also patently untrue.

Can anyone recall an occasion of us discussing Hughton being prickly at the fans?

There were multiple examples of Brighton fans feeling slighted by Potter.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It's also patently untrue.

Can anyone recall an occasion of us discussing Hughton being prickly at the fans?

There were multiple examples of Brighton fans feeling slighted by Potter.
Indeed, apparently we needed or he needed a history lesson, nothing at all to do with one win at home in calendar year or whatever it was. Either way it was a snipe.
As far as this thread is concerned GP doesn’t do pressure that well a chance go top against Palace a chance to go top against Fulham one weird team selection and the other we didn’t really perform at all. We played well against the big boys when there was no pressure to get a result couldn’t beat Sheffield Utd or Norwich at home when we are expected to get a result.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Indeed, apparently we needed or he needed a history lesson, nothing at all to do with one win at home in calendar year or whatever it was. Either way it was a snipe.

Yet still delivered a top half Premier League finish

Boooooo

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Fine to say he didn't think booing was warranted, I didn't think booing was warranted, it was the "Perhaps I need a history lesson on this club" comment that got under my skin.
I think most of us believe he could do very well at Chelsea, but also that he won't get much time to impress, before the fans get on his back, which will in turn make the process harder, and there could be pressure from fans that Boehly can't resist.

But also, I hope they boo the end of every half, just to see what he says about it at Chelsea. I hope he feels like quitting by January, but can't because 5 other people will also be out of jobs. I hope he ends up in 3 years time being shit at MK Dons and getting booed there too. That is bad faith wishful thinking.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As far as this thread is concerned GP doesn’t do pressure that well a chance go top against Palace a chance to go top against Fulham one weird team selection and the other we didn’t really perform at all. We played well against the big boys when there was no pressure to get a result couldn’t beat Sheffield Utd or Norwich at home when we are expected to get a result.

I believe at that point we had not won in 8 games. The frustration though was that we had numerous chances to score, and with 20 minutes to go he took Maupay off and brought Locadia on.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Didn’t mean it to come across like that Icy. So apologies . Of course Chelsea is a massive difference in terms of scrutiny and it remains to be seen whether he’ll cope with the job. He’s just started. So agreed.

I still can’t see what the issue was with his remarks post Leeds - but clearly some were and are still irked by them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Didn’t mean it to come across like that Icy. So apologies . Of course Chelsea is a massive difference in terms of scrutiny and it remains to be seen whether he’ll cope with the job. He’s just started. So agreed.

I still can’t see what the issue was with his remarks post Leeds - but clearly some were and are still irked by them.

Thanks.

From my perspective he was often a little prickly when being interviewed pre and post match but this season looked totally at ease, enjoying it even. That’s all.

I wish him well at Chelsea but think he was good enough to finish the season here and still be desirable to a top six club :shrug:

Maybe I had more faith in him than he had in himself :lolol:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Fine to say he didn't think booing was warranted, I didn't think booing was warranted, it was the "Perhaps I need a history lesson on this club" comment that got under my skin.
I think most of us believe he could do very well at Chelsea, but also that he won't get much time to impress, before the fans get on his back, which will in turn make the process harder, and there could be pressure from fans that Boehly can't resist.

But also, I hope they boo the end of every half, just to see what he says about it at Chelsea. I hope he feels like quitting by January, but can't because 5 other people will also be out of jobs. I hope he ends up in 3 years time being shit at MK Dons and getting booed there too. That is bad faith wishful thinking.

It got under my skin as well. I suddenly realised how sensitive he was and we were part of project Potter.
Bollocks to the other five. They have nailed their colours to his mast. Rise and fall with him, same as Oatway and Poyet. I wish him and the others a short and unhappy stay at the Bridge, punctuated by regular booing and being flayed alive on social media. He will find himself out of his depth.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Thanks.

From my perspective he was often a little prickly when being interviewed pre and post match but this season looked totally at ease, enjoying it even. That’s all.

I wish him well at Chelsea but think he was good enough to finish the season here and still be desirable to a top six club :shrug:

Maybe I had more faith in him than he had in himself :lolol:

He was totally at ease this season because he knew where he was going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here