Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who's been the victim of a crime?

El Dude Brother

Feb 8, 2006
I was burgled when I was a student in Newcastle in 1991 and assaulted with some friends in Haywards Heath in 1992.

In both cases I got the impression the police weren't very interested because we were young and male. They didn't bother taking fingerprints for the burglary and even though our assailants were apprehended and all bar one had previous convictions for similar offences they didn't prosecute. They did spend the night in a poilice cell though.

Has anyone actually been the victim of a crime that has resulted in a successful conviction?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The police dont make the decision if they can prosecute or not, Even back then I think it was done by CPS.

Ive never been a victim of crime *touch wood* but had a few punch ups.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I once got run over and the bloke got done in court for dangerous driving or something.....not technicaly a victim of crime though

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
El Dude Brother said:
Has anyone actually been the victim of a crime that has resulted in a successful conviction?

Yes it was an assault and the perpetrator was then linked by DNA to two other similar incidents over a four year time span. He was sentence to six years and is still in prison now.

I was hit by a car as well and he was convicted of drink driving, dangerous driving or whatever they call it.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I've been the victim of crime, It's called the CSA.

When I found out how much I was being forced to pay I thought that was criminal. :censored:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I've been the victim of an assault and had 2 cars broken into. Nothing came of any of them in terms of prosecutions. For the cars the police didn't even turn up, they just sent some "victims of crime" leaflets through the post. Nothing like the personal touch :nono:.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Rangdo said:
I've been the victim of an assault and had 2 cars broken into. Nothing came of any of them in terms of prosecutions. For the cars the police didn't even turn up, they just sent some "victims of crime" leaflets through the post. Nothing like the personal touch :nono:.

If the police had to go to every single car brake in Sussex they would have no time to do anything else.

JAMC

Jul 5, 2003
The coppers aren't interested unless it's a motorist crime like speeding.
A few months back I was in my car outside my house ready to drive off to work. I was about to pull out when there was a loud banging on my windscreen. It scared the crap out of me. I looked to my left and there were two coppers shouting STOP!!
I got out and was told to stop right there!
One of them came over and stood by me whilst the other looked at my reg and tax disk whilst doing a check on his radio. I was asking what was going on and the copper who was standing by me just kept glaring at me without a word. Then the other copper came over and I asked him what's going on because I'm off to work. He said it's alright you can go. I asked again, what's going on? He said that a car just like mine, made off from them the night before after being stopped for speeding not too far away.
He then went on to say that I did not fit the description due to the shade of my skin and that my car was in the clear with the checks.

El Dude Brother

Feb 8, 2006
Re: Re: Who's been the victim of a crime?

Starry said:
Yes it was an assault and the perpetrator was then linked by DNA to two other similar incidents over a four year time span. He was sentence to six years and is still in prison now.

I'm sorry to hear that. It must have been serious to warrant a 6 year sentence.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
DAMANCLAY said:
If the police had to go to every single car brake in Sussex they would have no time to do anything else.

And thats why they don't get caught. Sending me leaflets isn't going to catch the perpetrators is it?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i had my bike stolen once

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Yes, burglary and assault.

The police, needless to say, didn't want to know.

Sack'em all and legalise vigilantism I say.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I've kept this a secret, but last November 4th i was hit by a car that never stopped to inspect my broken head and tail. A dog dragged my fractured self to hospital like a set of lickable sausages from the local butchers.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
had house broken into telly etc stolen, and one car nicked by joyriders and written off and another broken into nicking stereo cd's etc.

oh and the police did turn up :clap2: :clap2: to ask if i knew why my car was in a ditch :down:

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I had a car stolen and the Police accused me of having it stolen as an insurance scam ! I did get a bit annoyed about that. It later turned up minus the new engine I had the receipts for. Later somebody who worked at the garage that did the work was convicted (and given probation).

Naturally I was neither compensated or got an apology from the Police.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Rangdo said:
And thats why they don't get caught. Sending me leaflets isn't going to catch the perpetrators is it?

Im surprised the forensic team wasn't sent out but they are very different to police officers. Forensic teams do go to most car crimes as there is a chance of forensic evidence in them but there is no point actual police officers going.

JAMC

Jul 5, 2003
Yes!
Ever increasing fuel prices and government taxes that are nowhere in line with my yearly pay rise!!:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here