Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who would you prefer? Mark McGhee? Leroy Rosenior? Iain Dowie? Stuart Gray?

Mark McGhee? Leroy Rosenior? Iain Dowie? Stuart Gray?

• Mark McGhee

Votes: 43 26.5%
  • Leroy Rosenior

Votes: 41 25.3%
  • Iain Dowie

Votes: 74 45.7%
  • Stuart Gray

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
sorry...official text alert this morning....bob quoted as saying "fresh pair of eyes" required to help club achieve promotion.

MRRF 10

Four man race for albion job - argus

The argus says dick knight has shortlist of four candidates for the job, and bob booker has pulled out.
The four candidates are:

Mark McGhee
Leroy Rosenior
Iain Dowie
Stuart Gray.

Changed a lot since the last four shortlisted candidiates, although Gray appears again.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Respect to Bob then. He's decided he isn't the man for the job. Not many people would do that.. Hinshelwood. Well done Bob :clap:

Leroy.. it looks like he's on his way.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Looks like he was never spoken too. Either he didn't want the job or we didn't want him.

Stumpy Tim

Out of those four I would go with Mark McGhee. I would be happy with Dowie or Rosenior who have both done excellent jobs at Oldham & Torquay.

But McGhee took Millwall to the first division, and then the play-offs without spending much money. He's also brought on a lot youngsters at Millwall, and with the talent we've got in the youth team I reckon he'll do alot to being them on

Last edited:

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
I like your comments ST, agree with what you've posted.
I'm also very happy to say that the shortlist looks really good, and I wouldn't be unhappy with any of the four. My first choice has always been Dowie, but whoever DK selects, I'm quite sure that a good job will be done by the lucky applicant.

(was)DBS

Jul 24, 2003
Southwick
i think dowie is the man, worked wonders at oldham with even less money than us, and who wants to live near manchester anyway!!!!:clap: :clap:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
mona said:
McGhee did a good job at Millwall and would be a strong, experienced manager with lots of contacts.

Albionite83 said:
Who would probably leave at the first opportunity.

Don't those two views illustrate just how bloody difficult a job Dick has got on his hands?

Does he get in somebody with a track record like MA or that Palace **** had but were somewhat on their uppers when he rescued them but deep down suspected that they were bettering their own causes primarily....step forward Mark McGhee?

Or does he try and get somebody like Dowie who is just starting out in a managerial sense but is clearly doing a good job in difficult circumstances?

Is Leroy the man? Somebody most of us (and the rest of football) know very little about which brings with it an element of risk?

Thank f**k I don't have to make the decision 'cos it's a bloody tough one and no matter who he chooses there will be large numbers of Albion fans disappointed with his choice.

The more I think about it though the more I'm inclined to think McGhee may be the man:eek: Never thought I'd suggest that! Maybe Dick could give him a contract that pays piss poor for the first year, gets better for the second and his financial reward arrives at the end of his contract. At least there'd be an incentive to stick around?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As Torquay manager, Leroy isn't exactly going to be complaining about the crap-ness of Withdean is he?

Stumpy Tim

I'm Brian and so is my wife said:
Does he get in somebody with a track record like MA or that Palace **** had but were somewhat on their uppers when he rescued them but deep down suspected that they were bettering their own causes primarily....step forward Mark McGhee?

Or does he try and get somebody like Dowie who is just starting out in a managerial sense but is clearly doing a good job in difficult circumstances?

Exactly. The funny thing is that before Stoke, Cotterill would have been in the latter category. He was at Cheltenham for years, was seen as a loyal up&coming manager, & then walked out of Stoke in 5 minutes. There's no guarantee that Dowie or Rosenior wouldn't walk away.

McGhee has walked out of clubs a couple of times, but he was at Millwall for a good period of time & I would be happy if he stayed a couple of seasons if he got us up & kept us there

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
if a manager commits himself to your club for life, he is either (1) Alex Ferguson or (2) too crap for any other teams to want.

the fact is, if we have a successful manager, other clubs will notice and look at him. For example, Palace (Bruce apart) don't have a problem losing managers because they are all so shit at their jobs (hurrah) that they are about as likely to be poached as Anne Widdecombe is to win Miss World.

For us, we either have success and lose our boss occasionally (ok, annually) or we piss around mid table or worse with some Alan Ball-a-like in charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here