Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who won't be good enough for the Championship?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Are you for f***ing real
You say painter was amasing this season but want rid of him
You also want to sign scunthorpe Keeper over Anker and Brez ,scunny are 23rd in the championship with a goal difference of -44
You realy are stupid

Never said I wanted rid of Painter. I said he would be fine if we signed a quick centre back. Just said I think his lack of pace in wide positions could be an issue.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
NMH is right ,our budget will not match again the cream of the league ,and i believe our team sprite will have to be our main ingredient for success .Low profile players will again be targets eg the two lads from Dundee .

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
As for expectations of new STH's .. well I'm one of those .. lifetime Albion fan but been to Withdean once!! If that doesn't give me the right to comment ... tough! Anyway I'll renew even if we came back down, mid table is all I really expect but it's nice to dream and who knows? Only reason I didn't go to Withdean was because it was a bloody long way for me to go (then) and I thought it was a dump .. just all too difficult. I'd like to think a majority of the new STH's will be like this too ... after all and as I recall 15/20000 wasn't unusual at Goldstone in old Div 1 and aren't gates up since those days in general?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Personally think a lot of people are being a bit harsh on Casper, agree he is not the best on crosses but show me a modern day keeper that is? He won the best keeper of the month twice and kept us in a lot of the 1-0s in March! Good shot stopper and can play with his feet that suits are build up play. Just because Leeds released him doesn't mean he can't step up! If we do get another keeper in then we need a proven Championship keeper not Posh's, Mk Dons or Scunthorpe's keeper.............would this really be an improvement?
Agree with a lot of the other players mentioned and wouldn't keep Wood. To the fella that questioned whether Painter is good enough, have you been to any games this season................madness!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Agree with a lot of the other players mentioned and wouldn't keep Wood. To the fella that questioned whether Painter is good enough, have you been to any games this season................madness!!

nobody questioned whether painter was good enough - there was a general question about pace. defensively and ability wise, he is obviously more than fine as was shown by that one-on-one tackle on saturday. but if he is going to be coming up against pacey wingers more often then he may have more of a struggle, particularly if they are of the "knock and run" mould. stick somebody at centre back who IS quick though and can cover round him and you are laughing

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Im not going to comment too much on currant squad players because I think it speaks for itself that they will have little or no part next season.

In regards to out strongest 11 this season and who I feel may struggle......

Earlier in the season I felt Ankergren would be the first player i'd replace but since the season has progressed he has looked stronger and stronger and more competant in front of goal to the point where I dont get worried anymore that he's going to do anything silly,....he does the odd questionable decision for example...being stuck to his line away at walsall but thats why he's not in the prem... so I think he will be our number one next season.

My two I would change......

Marcos Painter - Just think he will get ripped by speedy and stronger wingers and also caught out more when bombing forward and not getting back, I may be wrong and hope I am but just feel this is our weak area in defence if there was to be one.

Gary Dicker - Now I love GD, but I just think he's just a bit too light weight in the middle, I think we need a real strong and expiereinced head in the middle next season and theres just something about his game that at a higher level would concern me, be great back up to have dicksey and sparrow waiting in the wings on the bench.

Sparrow, waiting in the wings.....I SAID!! HAHA

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Marcos Painter - Just think he will get ripped by speedy and stronger wingers and also caught out more when bombing forward and not getting back, I may be wrong and hope I am but just feel this is our weak area in defence if there was to be one.

Gary Dicker - Now I love GD, but I just think he's just a bit too light weight in the middle, I think we need a real strong and expiereinced head in the middle next season and theres just something about his game that at a higher level would concern me, be great back up to have dicksey and sparrow waiting in the wings on the bench.

Sparrow, waiting in the wings.....I SAID!! HAHA

I think that Gus will overcome both of those problems by signing a more defensive minded left side midfielder, somebody in the Jackson of Charlton mould who will slot in behind Painter when he bombs forward as happens with Greer when Calderon gets forward.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It is funny. I have not noticed Painter being particularly slow. What I have noticed is that he reads the game brilliantly and is one of the best defenders we have seen at Withdean. He looks like he takes real pride in his defending. I think he is quality and will be very surprised if he doesn't cut it in the Championship.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Of the current first choice team, I don't think there is anyone who will 'not be able to cope' in the Championship. BUT being good enough to chase a play off place is different territory. Even with the much greater revenues from The AMEX, I suspect we will be in the bottom half of the division in terms of wage bills, so Gus will once again have to find some undiscovered gems.

My wish-list:

- Championship-class competition for Casper
- A quick, defensively-minded full-back to step in for Calde when we need to be tighter at the back and / or to cover for Painter
- Dominant, ball-playing centre-half to compete with Greer and El Abd. Perhaps get Dunk out on loan to a League 1 side to give him competitive games and allow him to prove himself

- A match-winner from midfield (eg. KLL)
- A quick, powerful centre-forward (or 2 if Murray is on his way)

Overall I think we're about 5 Championship quality players light of being a force next year. Let's hope our scouts have been busy!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Never said I wanted rid of Painter. I said he would be fine if we signed a quick centre back. Just said I think his lack of pace in wide positions could be an issue.

Does he need pace when he can execute tackles with almost perfect timing like Saturday when Huddersfield were on the break? His positioning and reading of the game is extremely good. He was doing well in Swansea's Championship team until his knee injury. In the meantime, the manager changed and he found it difficult to get back into the team. One of our most underrated players imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here