Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who won't be good enough for the Championship?

BHAFC_4EVER

Apr 28, 2011
Eastbourne
If I were manager I would release or let out on loan Poke, Tunnicliffe, Jamie Smith, Cook, Holroyd, Battipiedi, Baz, Hart, Sandaza, Elphick, Walker and McNulty. I would let Kishishev go, I wouldn't renew Wood's loan and i'd let Barnes out on loan or sell if he isn't good enough for the championship. I'd buy a goalkeeper and have Ankergren as cover because Leeds released him because they thought he wasn't good enough for the championship this year and he's a year older now. I'd buy a defender in each position for cover if they get injured, suspended or need resting. Another defensive midfielder for cover as Kishishev is most likely leaving and i'd like to buy another centre midfielder as matty sparrow probz won't be good enough for the championship otherwise scunny wouldn't have released him and maybe another winger but that wouldn't be one of my priorities. Another striker for cover (if Barnes isn't good enough for us or we have sold him or let him out on loan) and another main striker to go with Murray.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
a level up, teams are likely to play more football, with more width, which means more crosses into the box

and we all know how well ankergren deals with them...

both keepers have another year on their contracts though - which means one would either have to agree to mutual termination or hope somebody comes in with a bid. id quite fancy joe lewis if the money is there to bring in a new number one

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
a level up, teams are likely to play more football, with more width, which means more crosses into the box

and we all know how well ankergren deals with them...

both keepers have another year on their contracts though - which means one would either have to agree to mutual termination or hope somebody comes in with a bid. id quite fancy joe lewis if the money is there to bring in a new number one

Agree.
Trouble is that Peterboro fans say that Lewis's performance against us was one of his few mistake-free games.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think we need more pace at the back and a commanding goalkeeper.

Good enough or not I can see Brezovan, Elphick and Tunnicliffe all heading out.

I think a question remains over Painter - however amazing he has been this season - he is quite slow and could be exploited a league up. Similar to the Leeds / Ankegren situation, Swansea were happy to let him go. I think he will be fine if we sign a centre half with a bit of pace, which drops Elphick one further down the pecking order.

Either way we have to add pace to our back four as a priority.

Others who will go?

Poke
Smith
Cook
Holroyd
Battipiedi
Baz
Sandaza
Walker
Don't get Wood back. Please.
Kishishev
Navarro

I'd like us to sign the Scunny keeper, who is off in the close season.

Last edited:

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
I don't think that Brighton have a goalkeeper who can play at the higher level.Will Gus notice that?
Or will he be in denial and spend money elsewhere?:(

Do you realy think you are a better manager than the man who has completely rebiult our team and got us promoted as Champions.You realy are one thick ****

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's pretty well the same names over and over and I wouldn't disagree with any of the obvious fringe players from this year or the keepers. But to be controversial I'd seriously look at Calderon who I think is great going forward but equally suspect defensively - not just for the last two howlers but we have been playing in a totally mediocre league (Saints, Hudd's and maybe Posh for their swarming game excepting) and performance this year is not indicative of what we'll need next ... and I'm not sure about Barnes either .... but then it's so difficult to know what to expect and what more Gus can get from some of these.

As a relative newbie to the forum I've been quite bemused by suggestions that we could go straight into Prem and it's good to see comments on here about mid table. Of course we should be aiming for an instant move up but Norwich are a club with top (Prem/Champ) history .. unfortunately we're not. If we finished a comfortable 11/11/12 next year I reckon Bloom and Gus would be very satisfied

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It's pretty well the same names over and over and I wouldn't disagree with any of the obvious fringe players from this year or the keepers. But to be controversial I'd seriously look at Calderon who I think is great going forward but equally suspect defensively - not just for the last two howlers but we have been playing in a totally mediocre league (Saints, Hudd's and maybe Posh for their swarming game excepting) and performance this year is not indicative of what we'll need next ... and I'm not sure about Barnes either .... but then it's so difficult to know what to expect and what more Gus can get from some of these.

As a relative newbie to the forum I've been quite bemused by suggestions that we could go straight into Prem and it's good to see comments on here about mid table. Of course we should be aiming for an instant move up but Norwich are a club with top (Prem/Champ) history .. unfortunately we're not. If we finished a comfortable 11/11/12 next year I reckon Bloom and Gus would be very satisfied

I have been thinking similar about Calderon for a few weeks. A legend, true enough, but he does get exposed when he has to defend and he certainly won't be able to bomb on as much next season, which is essentially his strong point.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Agree.
Trouble is that Peterboro fans say that Lewis's performance against us was one of his few mistake-free games.

ive read in the league paper that he was having pretty much consistant howlers throughout february and march and a lot of their fans were on his back - this did coincide though with his decision to hand in a transfer request, so that may have had any bearing on his performance levels dropping. he's obviously got something about him - you dont get called into a full england squad as a fourth division goalkeeper otherwise, and poyet might be the sort of manager to get the best out of him as he has done with so many of our other players

didnt know murphy from scunthorpe was available though - he's always been very impressive and i dont think he is that old. would have no complaints about him coming in either

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
More pace at the back is a must who that is to replace is up to debate but none of our current first choice back 4 are blessed with pace. Personally I think some of the signings will surprise some because of the positions they play and who they will replace.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Are you serious? So you basically have decided that none of our goalkeepers are good enough for the Championship and if Gus Poyet (the manager who won us the league this season) disagrees with you it is him that is wrong not you? Is that correct?

Guerrero`s on another f***ing planet

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That is the one! Not sure whether he is out of contract or not but would be a good signing.

It sounded like he was out of contract from what I read. Would be a decent signing. I think I would be happy with him and Ankergren competing for the number one spot.

The added interest from our point of view is Gus' foreign contacts. We could talk about potential targets for any position and then Gus brings a player over from Spain or Uruguay.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I think the problem is whether a lot of first time season ticket holders will have signed up expecting a promotion push and how many of the 18,000 will renew if we are mid table. Added to that, the performances of Norwich especially but also Leeds and Millwall after promotion will have added to interest. Obviously we will aim for top six but we also have to be realistic and not set expectations too high. This is what I imagine Poyet is doing in the Argus article someone mentioned earlier, although I have not read it.

In terms of players making the step up, there could be a few surprises with who does and doesn't make it. I was surprised when Andrew Crofts went to Norwich as although I rated him, I wasn't sure he was Championship quality and look how wrong that was.

Lush

Mods' Pet
The added interest from our point of view is Gus' foreign contacts. We could talk about potential targets for any position and then Gus brings a player over from Spain or Uruguay.

I still think we need PROVEN Championship players. Even Caulde took a while to adjust. More likely to bring in overseas players for the development squad I would have thought.

It would be interesting to see what the ambitions really are (and therefore the budget). Gus knows that money buys you better/stronger players (see his regular comments about Saints and Hudders). If we have a mediocre season of 'settling in', will all those season tickets holders renew in 2012?

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
I think we need more pace at the back and a commanding goalkeeper.

Good enough or not I can see Brezovan, Elphick and Tunnicliffe all heading out.

I think a question remains over Painter - however amazing he has been this season - he is quite slow and could be exploited a league up. Similar to the Leeds / Ankegren situation, Swansea were happy to let him go. I think he will be fine if we sign a centre half with a bit of pace, which drops Elphick one further down the pecking order.

Either way we have to add pace to our back four as a priority.

Others who will go?

Poke
Smith
Cook
Holroyd
Battipiedi
Baz
Sandaza
Walker
Don't get Wood back. Please.
Kishishev

I'd like us to sign the Scunny keeper, who is off in the close season.

Are you for f***ing real
You say painter was amasing this season but want rid of him
You also want to sign scunthorpe Keeper over Anker and Brez ,scunny are 23rd in the championship with a goal difference of -44
You realy are stupid

I don't expect to see wholesale outgoings from the lads who got us promoted. Gus will have more of an eye on bargain buys, talented young players who are not yet heralded (or expensive).
He's also focused on teamwork, so sea-changes are not conducive to that by any stretch of the imagination.

As for Casper - he'll no doubt compete for his place as he always has done.
Any new players will probably replace reserve-players who just aren't making the grade. Gus has already weeded out the players he didn't feel quite saw things his way - notably Cox and Forster - and lads he didn't seem to think were fit or imposing enough, i.e. Whing, and probably McNulty.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I still think we need PROVEN Championship players. Even Caulde took a while to adjust. More likely to bring in overseas players for the development squad I would have thought.

It would be interesting to see what the ambitions really are (and therefore the budget). Gus knows that money buys you better/stronger players (see his regular comments about Saints and Hudders). If we have a mediocre season of 'settling in', will all those season tickets holders renew in 2012?

I agree but proven Championship players don't come cheap.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Are you for f***ing real
You say painter was amasing this season but want rid of him
You also want to sign scunthorpe Keeper over Anker and Brez ,scunny are 23rd in the championship with a goal difference of -44
You realy are stupid

Seriously mate, you are not going to last long on here if you call everyone you disagree with stupid. The Scunthorpe keeper has played in the Championship for a couple of years and done well for them. Their defence has been awful this year so it is difficult for a goalkeeper to play behind that. The fact is that none of us know who Gus is targetting but calling someone stupid for putting a suggestion forward is not going to make you popular.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here