Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will replace Sir Steve?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Yea an I was speaking to a Reading fan in the know and Coppel isn't even in the top 3 contenders.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Got to be Hoddle to Reading, replace one twat with another, seems reasonable to me :clap2:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
brighton rock said:
or hoddle to brighton-div 3 here we come:eek:

HAH...PROOF that Brighton Rock is indeed a SEAGULLS fan

"...div 3 here *we* come..."

:p

Aug 12, 2003
Perth WA
"John Madejski has revealed that he is hoping to appoint a new manager shortly, whilst Stoke's Tony Pulis has distanced himself from reports linking him with the job.

Reading Football Club could have a new manager appointed in time for next Saturday's league game with Sunderland.

Royals supremo John Madejski now seems unlikely to appoint caretaker boss Kevin Dillon as the Geordie has lost a disappointing two games out of three. Furthermore, Reading have played some of their worst football for a long time in the past three matches.

Madejski, who has received wide-ranging acclaim for the way he handled the Pardew to West Ham scenario admitted he was very disappointed with today's defeat at home to lowly Coventry - further suggesting that Kevin Dillon, a fans favourite, will not be the new manager.

Mr Madejski told Teamtalk: "I was very disappointed. "The affairs of last week may have had an affect. We are a club in a state of change. But we are a large club and we can take occasional losses."

Lawrie Sanchez, Bryan Robson, Steve Coppell, Steve Cotterill, Reading MAD Editor Rob Cooper and Phil Parkinson have all been linked with the vacant managerial post and it seems that an announcement could be made within the next seven days.

The Royals chairman added: "We are well into our plans for the future but not quite ready to announce them."

Meanwhile, Stoke City manager Tony Pulis, who masterminded the Potters relegation escape last season, has denied that he is interested in becoming the new Royals boss.

Reports from Staffordshire linked the manager with a shock move to Reading. The Stoke boss, who owns a house in Bournemouth, refused to deny that he had been contacted by the Royals but said that his future is at the Britannia Stadium.

Speaking to thisisstaffordshire.co.uk the Potters manager explained: "I'm not going anywhere. I am very happy here at Stoke and any thought of leaving couldn't be further from my mind right now.

"We've got a long and difficult job here, but it's one we can complete in time. I'm just getting my teeth into it and I'm not the sort to walk away."

Bryan Robson, the former England captain, was reportedly sighted at the Madejski Stadium this afternoon. It is widely known that Robson is looking for a management post, so it is possible that John Madejski is investigating the possibility.

Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein was at today's game against Coventry, however Reading MAD don't suspect it is because Arsene Wenger is contemplating jumping switch. We believe he was merely a guest of John Madejski."

AND

Reading supremo John Madejski said he will appoint a new manager "sooner rather than later" and hinted he might make an announcement next week.

On the evidence of the 2-1 loss at home to Coventry caretaker boss Kevin Dillon will be hard pressed to get the job on a permanent basis.

His record is now two defeats in three games in charge.

"I was very disappointed," said Madejski after Reading's first home defeat of the season.

"The affairs of last week may have had an affect. We are a club in a state of change. But we are a large club and we can take occasional losses.

"We are well into our plans for the future but not quite ready to announce them."

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Cheers Sggy that has made my day

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Aug 12, 2003
Perth WA
You know where the info comes from Yorkie, but it is still second hand at the end of the day. Still hope he's right!

Fingers tightly crossed! He gets Reading SMS so will know first (I will post or text you!)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think we've all just got to get used to the fact that when a managers position comes available in Div1 then SG's name is going to be attached to it.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Manager will not be announced at 4pm, but Madejski will tell us some important info.

Another excuse for them to rake in the pennies from the SMS and Reading World services.

Aug 12, 2003
Perth WA
Todays Reading Evening Post:

NEW BOSS BY END OF THE WEEK

READING will look to announce a successor to Alan Pardew by the end of the week, insisted chairman John Madejski.

The club has been flooded with applicants and it is thought managers such as Joe Kinnear, George Graham, Steve Cotterill, Steve Coppell, Ronnie Moore, Bryan Robson, Colin Lee, Ian Atkins and Lawrie Sanchez are all in the frame.

Glenn Hoddle could also now be a potential candidate, following his sacking from Tottenham yesterday, although it remains to be seen whether the Sonning-based former England coach, is ready to make a switch so soon.

Hoddle was linked with the vacancy at Royals prior to Alan Pardew’s appointment as caretaker boss in September 1999.

Pardew’s assistant then was John Gorman, who was Hoddle’s right-hand man at Swindon, England, Southampton and Tottenham.

The midfield legend joined several training sessions at Reading’s Sonning base, but landed the job at Saints.

Caretaker boss Kevin Dillon has already stated he wants the job and would be the players’ choice but the fear is that he would have had a clearer indication now if he was likely to land the job.
Interviews have started and are set to continue. Although Madejski insists he will not be rushed into appointing a new man, he admitted the situation should be resolved as soon as possible.

The chairman said: “Kevin Dillon will be applying, as other people will. We’ve not set a time limit and we’re already well into the process and I would say a decision will come sooner rather than later – possibly this week.

“There are a lot of factors we’re still dealing with and it will take as long as it has to take.
“We’re not going to be pushed into a decision we might later regret.

“We need to make a decision very carefully.
“We’re a big club and we can’t make any mistakes – that’s why we’ll be sure it’s the right thing when it happens.”

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Announcement at 4pm was:

Unfortunately its not me taking over :(

Its not a managerial appointment, more like that we've just announced our first ever Director of Football in Nicky Hammond, which now points to the fact that we're about to take on a "big name" manager who will bring along a coach or two with him. Dillon may remain assistant or go back to being a coach.

Sounds exciting anyway...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Glenn Hoddle for Reading then, bringing Gorman with him.

Unlucky Wilts, Hoddle is gonna f*** you:ohmy:

We've had Gorman already. Don't want him back. And we certainly don't want that pathetic weirdo Hoddle.

The time could be right to give the job to Neil Webb...IF we can afford to buy out his contract with the Post Office!

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Not sure what to think of this. The Reading Evening Post is either 100% accurate or 100% arse. About 80% of the time its pretty good, but that doesn't mean a lot. Today's developments...

"Reading have been flooded with applicants and current caretaker boss Kevin Dillon will be interviewed for the vacancy.

Although the club refused to divulge who is heading the shortlist, I understand Steve Coppell is highly thought of at the club.

Coppell has an excellent track-record. He twice got unfashionable Crystal Palace promoted and guided them to the FA Cup final and third place in the Premiership.

However, whether he will be allowed to leave Brighton is another matter. There are plenty of other names that would make the shortlist, including the likes of Glenn Hoddle, Bryan Robson, Joe Kinnear and Steve Cotterill."

Notice the I understand bit. Means that its very rumour and little substance at the moment, and the club have made no comments about it. Also notice the "unfashionable" Crystal Palace bit too!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here