Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will replace Harry,,

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
I don't think Harry would want it anyway. He likes to "have a hand" in transfers, which he can't do being the national boss. What would be in it for him?

I think its pride he does want it and i think he will put the pride back into England (right i'm ready to be shot down)

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I will be even less interested in the senior England team if that crooked twitchy bastard gets the job.
Hope WBA have an amazing season & they go for Uncle Woy instead as it HAS to be an English manager. Been saying it for the best part of a decade but Wenger would be a fantastic England manager.

I would not like to see Wenger as national boss, it is time for the FA (and every other countries equivalent) to realise that each and every staff member, and player positions should be filled by candidates from that country. Even if that means we never win the world cup again, we would still be able to honestly call it the WORLD cup.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Right now I think Spurs would look at Martinez, Lambert, maybe even Hughes and probably managers from abroad before trying to take a manager with two years' experience from a lower league.

(If we keep saying it, it will make it true).

Next summer? Depends how we do this year obviously...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't stand the bloke (Redknapp) but it would be interesting in a way to see how he'd get on as England boss. Historically, he has a record of getting out of a situation the second it looks like it's going to ratshit, thus ensuring he can't be blamed for it. Pompey imploding? Quits and joins Saints. Saints struggling? Walks out for Pompey again. Pompey REALLY imploding? Legs it the second Spurs come sniffing.

My issue with him is that nothing bad is EVER his fault. Anything good, on the other hand, is all his own work. A MIRACLE in fact, as he might say himself.

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
Why does it HAVE it be an englishman? (Next time around, the FA have studidly stipulated it should be, so narrowing the field).

What criminal charges did Bobby Robson and Sven face?
If convicted, don't think we'll be able to preach to FIFA, after employing a crook (alleged at this stage).

Why did his expensively assembled team get destroyed on Monday despite their opponents lacking 3 out of 4 first choice defenders, and fail to register a goal?

The Fleet Street love-in with media savvy 'arry has over hyped his credentials.

we all moan about the players needing to show passion... none of the foreign managers instilled any passion in the players... but i think Harry will

Last edited:

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
we all moan about the players needing to show passion when they have the foreign managers instilled any passion no but i think Harry will

Problem is, to misquote the military cliche "we're always fighting the last war".

Keegan full of passion but no tactical brain? Bring in an ice-cool Swede to calm everyone down.
No passion? Limp quarter-final exits? Must be because we need a passionate Englishman, let's go for McClaren.
McClaren hopelessly underqualified for the job? Let's get the most highly qualified manager we can find.
Capello doesn't really get the British press, slightly underwhelming England performances? Time for another blood-and-thunder Englishman.

And so it goes on forever. Every conceivable type of manager has been tried and we still haven't won anything for nearly 50 years.

Personally I think Harry would be good because he seems to be able to knit together a disparate group of players in a short space of time, as is needed in international football. But to be honest it's more likely the players and the circus that surrounds them that are the problem.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
When he walks into the England job next summer...I really think this is the one Poyet will go for and Glenn Hoddle will slip into Poyet's shoes. I know its not something we want to think about but I think Gus will be there number one target.

There is no way Tony would be stupid enough to employ the useless tosser of a manager that is glenn f***ing hoddle

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Problem is, to misquote the military cliche "we're always fighting the last war".

Keegan full of passion but no tactical brain? Bring in an ice-cool Swede to calm everyone down.
No passion? Limp quarter-final exits? Must be because we need a passionate Englishman, let's go for McClaren.
McClaren hopelessly underqualified for the job? Let's get the most highly qualified manager we can find.
Capello doesn't really get the British press, slightly underwhelming England performances? Time for another blood-and-thunder Englishman.

And so it goes on forever. Every conceivable type of manager has been tried and we still haven't won anything for nearly 50 years.

Personally I think Harry would be good because he seems to be able to knit together a disparate group of players in a short space of time, as is needed in international football. But to be honest it's more likely the players and the circus that surrounds them that are the problem.

Good post.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
we all moan about the players needing to show passion... none of the foreign managers instilled any passion in the players... but i think Harry will

We keep going round in circles.
The cerebral calm Sven.
The 'talented' coaches Hoddle and McLaren.
The alleged man managers Redknapp and Keegan.
The hard manager & winner Capello.

What do other currently successful countries Spain and Germany do?
Germany have a talented coach. Not a table thumping alleged motivator.

Where's the evidence that the high spending Portsmouth and Spurs manager is the man, before he give him the juicy mega contract?

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
When he walks into the England job next summer...I really think this is the one Poyet will go for and Glenn Hoddle will slip into Poyet's shoes. I know its not something we want to think about but I think Gus will be there number one target.

Are you a palarse fan you cock, why the fcuk would Tony who is a lifelong Albion fan employ a clueless tosser like hoddle.You are obviously a spurs fan sorry for the mistake, bye bye .

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

And passion makes a good team? Were we any good with passionate manager Keegan? Basically the players are not good as some think and installing a journeyman manager with limited European experience who has a ropey league record and likes spending (a lot) of money will not chance that.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You're all talking rubbish anyway. You want passion? You want England caps coming out of your every orifice? You want coaching skills forged in the harsh environment of the English fourth division via the Premier League relegation zone and through the lower echelons of the Dutch youth league and beyond? You want experience of continental football?

I give: you the best overseas manager ever to get FC Gabala to seventh in the Azerbaijani Premier League, Mr Tony Adams :jester:

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
And passion makes a good team? Were we any good with passionate manager Keegan? Basically the players are not good as some think and installing a journeyman manager with limited European experience who has a ropey league record and likes spending (a lot) of money will not chance that.

why does everyone keep banging on about him spending a lot of money doesn't the chairman have a say about the money he spent..Oh i suppose the chaiman said here you are Harry here's my cheque book spend all the money you want because all them people on north stand chat will blame you for having no money left and it won't be my fault...
If you aint given a chance to do bigger and better things in life you'll never know how good you or anyone else could be..But the Fa need to bring down the pay for the manager because its way over the top

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Are you a palarse fan you cock, why the fcuk would Tony who is a lifelong Albion fan employ a clueless tosser like hoddle.You are obviously a spurs fan sorry for the mistake, bye bye .

There always one that rather than have a constructive opion and point of view whatever that maybe, resorts to verbal abuse...That would be you, I suspect I was standing on the terraces at the Goldstone long before you were even thought of.....Peoples surnames always begin with a capital letter by the way.....April 2011,,explains a lot.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Just think Hoddle would be a natural replacement, the way we play....His track record is pretty impressive, even with England it was never football reasons that got him the bullet.

You are having a laugh.....right?

Sent from my inbred hatred of all things South London .....HD

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Keegan full of passion but no tactical brain? .

I think you meant to type 'spine'.

Sent from my inbred hatred of all things South London .....HD

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

This obsession with passion is over-rated. The only England manager to win anything was the most robotic, emotionless automaton of a human being ever. Remember, this was someone who castigated his assistant for standing up and applauding an England goal.

I have no idea who will be next manager of England but I'm pretty sure it won't be 'Arry. To put someone, facing tax charges, with a reputation for some dubious deals and obvious venal tendencies as the public face of English football would be like putting Shannon Matthews in charge of Yorkshire social services.

And I agree with the consensus; there's no way, at the moment, that Gus would go to a top 6 Prem club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here