Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

who went to Brighton / Notts county

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our biggest problem that day was playing an unfit Johnny Byrne who had been injured, had he been fit the result may have been different, hence my view that we need to protect the likes of Buckley Bridcutt etc as much as possible this time around.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Know we are not there yet, but think we have a massively better squad than then, looking back. Loved John Byrne then though! I was just a teenager then but remember loving that run in. The match wasn't great, but think we are definitely in for a better time if we manage the final this time! Exciting times! What are everyones memories of last time we were near the top flight?

Hideous experience. We just didn't turn up.

I was sat there, nervous before kick off, surrounded by many people in party mood, and all I could think about was whether we would win or not. Everyone else was partying and I was so worried.

I missed our goal. I left. I couldn't stand the feeling of defeat and the fact we had been so comprehensively outplayed.

That is why the play offs fill me with excitement and dread.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
The way we got into the play offs was just incredible. Literally the last kick off the last match of the season and Dean Wilkins scored an awesome free kick to give us a win and I think we were then waiting on another teams (Middlesbrough?) result.

Made it! Play off semi at home to Millwall was mental. Probably 1,500 Millwall in the North Stand with a thin blue line of police between them and us. More in their actual area in the East stand. I remember one seriously deranged Millwall fan being marched out in front of us in the North Stand as we demolished them 4-1.

Didn't get to the away match at Millwall but it seemed game over after first leg anyway.

Big day for the final, arranged minibus from Seaford, loaded with beer. Flags everywhere. Great day out until the teams walked out and we were in the shameful 'pink chewit wrapper'. We never really got going and losing a match like that is very hard to take after doing so well against Millwall.

I remember thinking that its very strange seeing your team play somewhere huge like Wembley as it is just so hard to get any sort of atmosphere going.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Mike Small was awesome against Millwall and Codner (remember him ?) scored a classy goal running from the halfway line. We really scraped into the play-offs that year though and did not have enough in the Final. Did not Barry Lloyd leave Nelson out of that for personal reasons ? I believe that is what Nelson has written over the situation. A big disappointment, but at that stage one could not envisage what the future held ?

We played well against Bristol City and perhaps had the luck on the day. The journey home just flew by. Fantastic !!

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I was there. It's the only time my ex ever came to a football match - and she hated it, I was glad she never came again! Brings back mixed memories of a great occasion, but not a great day!

It was also the end of an era. That team surpassed themselves that year. In the next year players were let go and there was no investment and the bad days had begun.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I couldn't go, stuck up North. Makes you realise how easy it is to keep in touch now with live action. Back then was an embryonic BSkyB and Radio5 was just a news channel pre-Live5, Was very difficult to find news of the game!

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
hoping to make it three out of three
or four out of four at wembley,
we had a great session in harrow before the game
loved being at wembley 8 years on
but we were never in it in pink

will be my first game of this season though !!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I went with my girlfriend, who hates football and large crowds, hated the day, except the brilliant Albion support.
Oh, and that girlfriend has been Mrs Chopper for many years and is upstairs brushing the khazi out as we speak.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I was there. I remember them scoring the first goal from a corner when it was quite clearly our goal kick. I remember their goalkeeper writhing around when the ball was about 50 yards away and the fact that we couldn't contain Tommy Johnson. I wouldn't contemplate going to wembley again.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I thought we had two good chances to score before County did, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Know we are not there yet, but think we have a massively better squad than then, looking back. Loved John Byrne then though! I was just a teenager then but remember loving that run in. The match wasn't great, but think we are definitely in for a better time if we manage the final this time! Exciting times! What are everyones memories of last time we were near the top flight?

I remember

A ginger **** called tommy johnson scoring twice & Dave Regis scoring the other with his chest.We hit the post countless times
Before dean Wilkins got a consolation goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here