Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who was the hardest player youve seen, Albion or otherwise?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Jimmy Case and Paul Clark were both hard bastards in their day, anyone remember Case's tackle on Wilkins in the 83 cup final? he hit him so hard he span him round 360 degrees. Hed be sent off for it today, i dont think he even got booked then.
While im going down memory lane anyone remember Paul Clark's leg breaking tackle on (i think) Paul Fuchillo of Luton town? Could be my memory playing tricks but i think 'Tank' broke the same players leg the next time the clubs met.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Roy Keane

There are hard players, and then there are animals.
I would class Roy Keane and Vinnie Jones in the latter category, two players who I absolutely detested. Jones was no more than a thug with all the talent of a Sunday Pub team player. And it used to make me sick to hear managers and commentators enthuse about Keane saying that although he had an "edge" to his game and could be a bit over physical everybody would love to have him in their team, well I bloody wouldn't.

:wanker::wanker:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
While im going down memory lane anyone remember Paul Clark's leg breaking tackle on (i think) Paul Fuchillo of Luton town? Could be my memory playing tricks but i think 'Tank' broke the same players leg the next time the clubs met.

The name was Lil (short for Pasquale) Fucillo and although he did break his leg a second time, it wasn't Paul Clark wot done it. I remember the sound of the crack echoing around the Goldstone vividly. It wasn't a foul though - a (ahem) cracking tackle.

But as others have pointed out, Clark wasn't the original Tank, Ian Goodwin and Des Tennant were ahead of him (possibly even more ).

I'd find it hard to quarrel with Clark as the hardest Albion footballer. He was as tough as nails but no clogger. Some of these posts have confused being hard with being dirty but the two are not quite the same. Goikoetxea, for example, was a thug who should not have been allowed near a football ground.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hardest or dirtiest ? The dirtiest I ever saw was either Roy Keane or Vinnie Jones. Hardest ? Paul Ince or Dave McKay.

Hardest Albion player I was say was Ian Goodwin. Case was hard but also dirty, Goodwin wasn't. Honourable mention to Paul Clark though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Three pages and no mention of Tommy Smith yet, he'd be disappointed

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
And the winner is ..............

Attachments

• raywinstoneBIG2507_468x391.jpg
    raywinstoneBIG2507_468x391.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 123

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
The hardest Brighton player I have seen was definitely The Tank......the 30:70s' he won were amazing. You could almost hear his tackles from the stands. He wasn't the finest footballer but by God was he tough. The opposition were petrified of him and the Albion fans adored him.:bowdown:
Jimmy Case was definitinely hard but, thinking back, in the days that he played for us he was a little tired and those big tackles were often quite reckless. Would never admit it at the time though! :love:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
doug rougive a nutcase

Considering the rather brutal Chelsea fans of the day used to call him "Doug The Thug" then that takes some beating.

For me though it would be;

Brighton: Jimmy Case or Steve Jacobs.
or Otherwise: Graeme Souness.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The hardest Brighton player I have seen was definitely The Tank......t

But which model: Tennant, Goodwin, Clark or Butters?

And I didn't mention the hardest non-Brighton player - I have to go with the consensus on Dave Mackay - no-one else comes close.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here