Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who wants a game of Mornington Crescent?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We are, but you still can't have The Steine. Green Park would have been the logical answer but you could also have had Rayner's Lane, Elephant & Castle and perhaps the Isle of Wight ferry. (Took revision circa 1983).

glosterseagull

Oct 2, 2003
Great! I have asked people what the rules are to this game called mornington Crescent. And people say what the **** is Mornington Crescent?

So.....what are the rules to mornington Crescent?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh you'll soon pick it up gloster. Turnpike Green. Good call DKM, it'll have to be South Harrow.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Edgware Road??? How did you work that one out? In the absence of a ref and as it's Christmas I think it would be allowed though.

South Kensington.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
One of London's most famous Underground stations has finally re-opened after a mammoth refit which has turned it into a "ghost station" for nearly six years.

Northern Line trains have trundled through Mornington Crescent station without stopping. The name has been systematically crossed out on Tube maps. Shoppers hoping to use the station have been turned away.

Trainspotters! Click here for details of the refit - and what the future holds for the Tube

The Station Masters in Action (1'00")
But the station has lived on over the airwaves, thanks to a game played on the Radio Four cult comedy I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

The programme's regulars helped London Underground mark the re-opening by joining the celebrations at the station.

"Mornington Crescent" - the game - is considered by its fans to be one of the world's most complex pastimes. It puzzles the uninitiated as much as it delights afficionados.

Audiences at recordings of the show, which started in 1971, routinely cheer when chairman Humphrey Lyttelton announces a round.

Get a grip

Few fans can match the professional grasp of the game held by the show's stars, Graeme Garden, Tim Brooke-Taylor and Barry Cryer. Willie Rushton who died in 1996 was for many years a stalwart.

Last year, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue won the British Broadcaster's Guild award for Best Radio Programme.

Former Goodie Graeme Garden
Producer, Jon Naismith, said it had become a phenomenon. "It's a huge cult. In the last five years it has come back into fashion in the way things sometimes do. Humphrey Lyttelton is brilliant, certainly one of the best panel game hosts ever, I should imagine."

At last, some rules for the game

To assist anyone confused by the game, Graeme Garden provided the following basic guide.

Boxing out the F, J, O and W placings draws the partner into an elliptical progression north to south
In weak positional play, it is vital to consolidate an already strong outer square, eg Pentonville Road
In a straight rules game, it's inadmissible to transfer inversely, which is otherwise a powerful tactic
Opening the triangle will block any of the three possible reverse draws and is usually played early in the game (before the Central Line has been quartered) so that the risk of a diagonal move is negligible, as is the possibility of quartering
The lateral shift decisively breaks opponents' horizontal and vertical approaches.
The A40 northbound used as a counter-play offers rear access to suburban bidding

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Old Street?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
OK... I'll play with myself for a bit... and see if anyone wants to join in...

Mudchute - and yes, I know, it subject to the old Otiose Defence, but hey, if nobody else is playing, I can do what I want! :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm playing and I'm not allowing Mudchute! Sorry! Anyway I've only just got off the Picadilly.

Cockfosters. However I think if DKM comes back I'll think he'll get it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If we're playing Regency rules I'll take your mudchute, up the East London and along district to Bow.

Brovian cannot play the next round owing to the Kensington underpass clause (1994 I think).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here