Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who should replace Guehi in England's defence?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
It will not be Lewis imo. Konsa or Gomez will get the nod, probably Konsa. Sad for Lewis but good for us that he won’t be exposed to playing Southgate’s negative safety first tactics and avoids injury.

Having said that I’d love to see him get some more caps

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Guehi got alot of praise mainly as nothing was expected of him.

I don't think he's been great , very suspect for the goal the other night and looks an accident waiting to happen.

I'd like Southgate to go 3 at the back but no chance he will.

Konsa will come in which is much of a much with Guehi. Lb a big decision. At least if Saka plays there it should mean Palmer is in. Saka already moaned about having to play there which was disgusting to hear during a tournament.

Is Shaw likely to be fit enough to do a good job ?

LB has been a f k up which is down to Southgate. How have we not got an actual LB to choose from.

BHA hat off , Wouldnt like to see Dunk start

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Doubtless there was an interesting conversation between Guehi and Trippier following that game. That woefully under-hit pass that Trippier played into Guehi that resulted in his yellow and subsequent auto-suspension for the next game was shocking at international level. I'd be fuming if I was Guehi.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Guehi got alot of praise mainly as nothing was expected of him.

I don't think he's been great , very suspect for the goal the other night and looks an accident waiting to happen.
According to SofaScore (other rating systems are available), Guehi has been *average* in his performances so far. Not especially good, not especially bad.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Two years ago I'd not only be saying Lewis Dunk, I'd be irritated that Dunk hadn't started in the first place. Southgate has finally included Dunk when the ship has sailed - he's simply not what he was.

I'd probably go for Gomez, personally.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Against Switzerland, we have to match them up by playing 3 at the back or we'll get battered. With Guehi suspended, I'd play Konsa over Dunk because in a 3 Dunk would be need to cover the wingback position, something he isn't good at, that Lukaku goal in Rome still gives me nightmares.

A back 3 of Walker, Stones and Konsa would allow John Stones to step into midfield when we're in possession allowing Mainoo and Rice to push slightly further forward.

We could then play Trent and Saka as wingbacks and a front three of Foden, Kane and Bellingham.

This would be much more balanced and might even be a formation that could win the tournament.

But Southgate won't and we'll go out with a whimper.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I would prefer Dunk but I don't trust how twattish the England fans would be about it- I saw a meme already mocking Dunk going up against Mbappé on instagram.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sadly we all know there is no chance Southgate will pick Dunk

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I don’t follow England closely enough to know for definite so correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Dunk seeming to be ahead of Konsa and Gomez in the warm-up friendlies?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I realise that I'm biased here but I would go with Dunk. I think Stones has looked shaky alongside Guehi, and needs someone with a more physical presence. He was better alongside Maguire, and I don't think the Stones/Guehi partnership looks very convincing. I think Dunk has the biggest presence of any CB in the squad.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I don’t follow England closely enough to know for definite so correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Dunk seeming to be ahead of Konsa and Gomez in the warm-up friendlies?
He was ... But apparently Konsa has impressed the most in training. I think Gomez has been sulking so dunk still ahead of him.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'd like Southgate to go 3 at the back but no chance he will.

Agreed, we looked really shaky with 4 at the back and with sn enforced replacement I'd shift Walker inside as we did in the Russia as part of a three with Stones and whoever is next replacement (from the friendlies would appear to be Konsa). Enables him to drop a desperately poor and out of position Trippier too.

As you say though no chance he will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here