Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who should replace Guehi in England's defence?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
It will not be Lewis imo. Konsa or Gomez will get the nod, probably Konsa. Sad for Lewis but good for us that he won’t be exposed to playing Southgate’s negative safety first tactics and avoids injury.

Having said that I’d love to see him get some more caps
Dunk was the player warming up when the Nigel took a knock the other day. Read into that what you will.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I love Lewis but he's been prone to mistakes and Switzerland's front 3 are handy and quick. If it was up to me I'd play Gomez as he is left-footed and it might help the balance of the side a bit. Suspect it will be Konsa though.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I love Lewis but he's been prone to mistakes and Switzerland's front 3 are handy and quick. If it was up to me I'd play Gomez as he is left-footed and it might help the balance of the side a bit. Suspect it will be Konsa though.
Just as prone to a mistake as Guehi tbf. Losing the run of his man cost us a goal against Slovakia.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Just as prone to a mistake as Guehi tbf. Losing the run of his man cost us a goal against Slovakia.
One mistake in 4 games. He also saved plenty as well. I am not having a go at Dunk but he was at fault v Belgium and Brazil as well as some howlers for us later in the season. I don't feel confident that getting him in for a Quater-Final of a major tournament is going to end well.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If you don't pick a player because he's made mistakes, you don't pick anyone at all.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
One mistake in 4 games. He also saved plenty as well. I am not having a go at Dunk but he was at fault v Belgium and Brazil as well as some howlers for us later in the season. I don't feel confident that getting him in for a Quater-Final of a major tournament is going to end well.
1 catastrophic mistake! Plus 2 awful mistakes in the last friendly game against Iceland. Watch him closely. Loses his man on set pieces regularly. He literally stood still and let the Slovakian ghost past him with a run from deep for the goal. Dunk pisses all over him when it comes to defensive awareness.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
The wise choice would be Dunk. A natural leader on and off the pitch and also very strong against aerial threats. However, in all the years that Southturd hasn't seriously picked him, he also really hasn't appreciated or understood Lewis's main assets. Therefore I really can't see the stubborn idjut changing his mind now.

TNBA

TTF

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I'd genuinely never heard of Konsa until they mentioned him on TV the other day. As such, no idea whether he is any good, other than short sub appearance in the match.
Really...? He's played 163 Premier League games for Villa, almost all of them the full game (14k+ minutes)

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I haven't seen anything from any of our defence that would guarantee them a start...they've all shown a lack of concentration.
How we've managed to play like italy and still be in the last sixteen is beyond me :shrug:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If we start with Lewis Dunk then I am worried. Has to be Konsa.

Sadly Lewis is just not the right player for what the Swiss have up top. Would be carnage.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
If Dunk doesn't get into the team when a CB is suspended/injured then why is he even in the squad? He's 32. If as a manager you know that a player will 99% have 0 minutes then why wouldn't you put a promising inexperienced player in that squad instead to benefit them for the future?

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
If Dunk doesn't get into the team when a CB is suspended/injured then why is he even in the squad? He's 32. If as a manager you know that a player will 99% have 0 minutes then why wouldn't you put a promising inexperienced player in that squad instead to benefit them for the future?
He's this tournament's Conor Coady -- called up not because he's a warm body but because he is genuinely helpful to have around during training.

I'd love for him to get some game time but I've resigned myself to the fact that it won't happen unless England are 3-0 up with 15-20 minutes of normal time left.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Dunky is there as Stones' back up (Cool headed, passer of the ball) so will more likey be Gomez or Konsa
Thats how I read this. I’d like Dunky to get the opportunity but worry about him being exposed for pace without someone quick alongside him.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Two years ago I'd not only be saying Lewis Dunk, I'd be irritated that Dunk hadn't started in the first place. Southgate has finally included Dunk when the ship has sailed - he's simply not what he was.
Not convinced about this at all. People were saying this about Gross two seasons ago. One below-par season playing insanely high-risk football at the back does not mean his ship has sailed. He's only 32, not 38!

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Dunk was the player warming up when the Nigel took a knock the other day. Read into that what you will.
This.
Even the waist coated wonder surely can’t pass Dunky up this time.
He really must hate us as a club.
Or maybe he just doesn’t think Lewis can hoof it as far a Konsa or “just boot it” Jordan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here