Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who prefers Euro's to the £

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Josky said:
I think the point was that setting interest rates in the UK is not done by anyone who is democratically accountable, therefore what difference does it make whether they are set in London or in Frankfurt?

The British people have no control over them now, so what difference does it make?

Yes, but they're set to match what best suits the British economy, and not the French-German-Italian-Spanish economies at the same time.

And as we know, the latter two of that list are economic basket cases.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
[BThere's always been a load of "inherently", "by extension" and "a step on the road towards" - it's just exaggeration really. Of course it involves a surrending of control, that applied just as much to the other 300+ million people in the Eurozone and their governments who've joined up.[/B]

And just how many of the 300million people of europe where given a choice in joining up? Certainly the French and Germans didnt, and those countries that did put it to the people had to have a couple of bites at the cherry. At its core the whole European "project" is deeply undemocratic, which is why i dislike it.

Is it Bad to become part of a Federal States of Europe? Well thats a different question really isnt it, one that isnt addressed as we slowly creep towards that goal whether we like it or not. i wish the British political establishment would at least be up front about it - Labour need to be honest while the Tories need to focus on the real issues without little Englander "loose the Queens head on your coins" nonsence that dosen't do any favours.

At the end of the day, with so much apathy in politcis and the general feelling in society that your views dont count, being part of a larger more distant political decision making process is hardly going to help is it. Imagine the time it would take to get Falmer approved if it had to be referred to some Planning Comission of European, with a panel consisting of a Greek, a Dane and a Spaniard deciding our stadiums fate.

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
beorhthelm said:
Is it Bad to become part of a Federal States of Europe? Well thats a different question really isnt it, one that isnt addressed as we slowly creep towards that goal whether we like it or not. i wish the British political establishment would at least be up front about it - Labour need to be honest while the Tories need to focus on the real issues without little Englander "loose the Queens head on your coins" nonsence that dosen't do any favours.

At the end of the day, with so much apathy in politcis and the general feelling in society that your views dont count, being part of a larger more distant political decision making process is hardly going to help is it. Imagine the time it would take to get Falmer approved if it had to be referred to some Planning Comission of European, with a panel consisting of a Greek, a Dane and a Spaniard deciding our stadiums fate.

If it were a Federal States of Europe, local decisions would be deferred down to a regional/local level and enshrined in a constitution, thereby preventing supranational interference at local level. Therefore, getting Falmer would be in the hands of the local citizens.

Unlike the current situation where the decision on Falmer rests with a national government which is far removed from local democracy.

I don't think people fully understand that a Federal state is the opposite of fully centralised government and the situation you talk about would never occur.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here