Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who prefers Euro's to the £

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Large One said:
Going over to the Euro is NOT the same as handing over the UK's freedom to alter interest rates,

..... errr, yes it does. It is set for the whole of Euroland by the CEB.

It also restricts what percentage of GDP we can spend on public services etc.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Westdene Seagull said:
..... errr, yes it does. It is set for the whole of Euroland by the CEB.

It also restricts what percentage of GDP we can spend on public services etc.

But UK interest rates are already independently set by an unaccountable central bank, the Bank of England. That was one of Tony's first (and best) decisions.

The rest of the Euro compliance is about the convergence conditions, but I thought we already complied with them anyway (unlike France and Germany!:lolol: ) and none of them seem unreasonable.

Roll on the Euro and Schengen

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Strike said:
I prefer £ to the Euro, funny enough I don't have a button on my keyboard for the Euro. LOL. I won't discuss further as this is a footy board.

ooooh please discuss it further

seriously, why don't you? its not just a footy board. tell us all your and the UKIP's views on the Euro.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We've got a sort of creeping Euro-isation underway already. Like you can spend them in Burger King. Which is a good thing IMHO. Trouble is the minute the idea of a vote on retaining the pound is floated, the right-wing yahoos steam in about losing the sovereign's head off the currency and all the rest of the little Englander nonsense.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Strike said:
No because I feel its not the place. I will discuss on my messageboard on the issue, or a politics board.

http://strike86.myikonboard.com/viewboard.php

so NSC is the place for classic dance polls but not the place for discussing the euro? weird.

come on, what's YOUR opinion on the Euro?

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Euro not gonna believe this but I'm all for switching from Sterling

Coat :jester:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Money money money! My favourite topic.

forget what pretty colour it is or who will accept it, to a greater exstent those points are irrelevant.

What is important.........................

single currency= single interest rate
Because the structure of investment is different in the UK(Morgages mainly) Intrest rate changes will have a greater impact on Consumption/spending, meaning a single currency could destabilise the economy in the UK.

Our currency alters in the long run to take into account differences in Productivity.

Put bluntly, Our historically Crap levels of Productivity Growth wrt France and Germany would destroy jobs. The same Happened over 10 years when the argentines linked their currency to the dollar. US productivity rocketed because of technological change(Computers), Causing the dollar to strengthen taking the low prod argies with them.

What your lefty scool teachers didn't tell you................

This whole thing is based on the idea of the Optimal Currency Area develpoed by the yank economist Robert Flemming who won a Nobel for his efforts.

It is underpinned by the concept of the free movement of Capital and labour like yankland, hence the terms boomtowns and Ghost towns.

Capital OK but Labour?
Ignore the fact that a single European language should be a prerequisit, where do you think labour will migrate to? The south East of the UK which would mean the wholsale junking of planning laws and the South East would be concreted over(This is already beginning).

It would also need to tax harnonisation. Only the UK and Sweden have a "moral" tax system, ie tax fags n booze but subsidise clothing, the rest of Euroland spread taxes more evenly. These are called tax distortions, they would need to be ironed out. So the pro-euro parties are the ones who'll put VAT on childrens cloths not necerssarilly the tories as Labour claimed in 97.

The amount of Money syphoned through Brussels needs to grow for the system to function, even if your a googly eyed tax cutting thatcherite there still is not enough redistribution via Brussels. It needs to quadruple(Ignoring corruption and taxation without representation).

These are simplified reasons, there are others. But you wont here the pro-euro parrots discussing them.

FAO Tom harks
Trouble is the minute the idea of a vote on retaining the pound is floated, the right-wing yahoos steam in about losing the sovereign's head off the currency and all the rest of the little Englander nonsense.

Your joking right? You see I mentioned the colour of money is irrelivant?

Most "Rightwingers" as you so discribe them are more likley to be Internationalists than "little Europeans". Its mainly EU protectionism thats choking the third world.

You may concede defeat in this arguement below....................:lolol:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
looney said:
The south East of the UK which would mean the wholsale junking of planning laws and the South East would be concreted over(This is already beginning).

So, what you're saying is that switching to the Euro will enhance our prospects of getting Falmer?

I'm sold!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
looney said:
Money money money! My favourite topic.

forget what pretty colour it is or who will accept it, to a greater exstent those points are irrelevant.

What is important.........................

single currency= single interest rate
Because the structure of investment is different in the UK(Morgages mainly) Intrest rate changes will have a greater impact on Consumption/spending, meaning a single currency could destabilise the economy in the UK.

Our currency alters in the long run to take into account differences in Productivity.

Put bluntly, Our historically Crap levels of Productivity Growth wrt France and Germany would destroy jobs. The same Happened over 10 years when the argentines linked their currency to the dollar. US productivity rocketed because of technological change(Computers), Causing the dollar to strengthen taking the low prod argies with them.

What your lefty scool teachers didn't tell you................

This whole thing is based on the idea of the Optimal Currency Area develpoed by the yank economist Robert Flemming who won a Nobel for his efforts.

It is underpinned by the concept of the free movement of Capital and labour like yankland, hence the terms boomtowns and Ghost towns.

Capital OK but Labour?
Ignore the fact that a single European language should be a prerequisit, where do you think labour will migrate to? The south East of the UK which would mean the wholsale junking of planning laws and the South East would be concreted over(This is already beginning).

It would also need to tax harnonisation. Only the UK and Sweden have a "moral" tax system, ie tax fags n booze but subsidise clothing, the rest of Euroland spread taxes more evenly. These are called tax distortions, they would need to be ironed out. So the pro-euro parties are the ones who'll put VAT on childrens cloths not necerssarilly the tories as Labour claimed in 97.

The amount of Money syphoned through Brussels needs to grow for the system to function, even if your a googly eyed tax cutting thatcherite there still is not enough redistribution via Brussels. It needs to quadruple(Ignoring corruption and taxation without representation).

These are simplified reasons, there are others. But you wont here the pro-euro parrots discussing them.

FAO Tom harks
Trouble is the minute the idea of a vote on retaining the pound is floated, the right-wing yahoos steam in about losing the sovereign's head off the currency and all the rest of the little Englander nonsense.

Your joking right? You see I mentioned the colour of money is irrelivant?

Most "Rightwingers" as you so discribe them are more likley to be Internationalists than "little Europeans". Its mainly EU protectionism thats choking the third world.

You may concede defeat in this arguement below....................:lolol:

:clap2: :clap2: Well Put !

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I like Euros, as I travel around a fair bit, it just makes things simple. regardless of any other implications.

I do most of my estimating work in Euros and dollars, it often works out more favourably if I dont use squids at all.

Looney, I know nothing much about economices, but how come if we would require tax harmonisations, yet EVERYTHING here is more expensive than say France ( by everything I mean everyday items, food, clothes, electrical hardware, property, cars, fuel) ?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
indian newsagent in western road REFUSED to accept a scottish fiver from me the other day - how i let rip, sweet sweet baby jesus i nealry lost the plot.

that was wrong wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here