Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who prefers Euro's to the £

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Having had a couple of weeks spending Euro's, I have got used to it ( x everything by 7 and you are nearly there, ie 100 euro's = £70)

Seems a hell of a lot simpler that effing about changing currencies when you go abroad.

Dave the Euro Lover

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I do.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
It'll stop all those sharks making money out of us changing money back and forth!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Better than dollars where all the notes of different denominations are the same size and colour.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm still bitter and twisted over the Euro. Hate it. Feels like toy money, coins are too damn small (our £ coin was *massive*).

Yes, it makes travelling on the continent easier. However, a trip to the UK, be it going into the North, or over to GB, is still annoying because you need to change currencies. Quick count, I've been on the continent twice since the Euro came in, but been in the UK about ten times...

Shops in Holyhead took the Irish pound usually. They don't take the Euro now. Its made it more annoying to travel, really.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If only it were that simple !!!!

There's far more to switching to the Euro than how easy it is to travel round Europe without having to change currency.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
dave the gaffer said:
x everything by 7 and you are nearly there, ie 100 euro's = £70

Dave the Euro Lover

Or times everything by 1 i.e. £1 = £1. At lot of shops over here take euros why cant shops in mainland europe take GB£'s?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Westdene Seagull said:

There's far more to switching to the Euro than how easy it is to travel round Europe without having to change currency.

such as...

Most companies in the country that trade abraod already us Euros anyway. The only thing missing is the actuall notes themselves.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Westdene Seagull said:

Yes, theres the horrible massive devaluation of your currency for one thing. the IEP was a very strong, stable, high value currency - it was higher than Sterling for most of the 1990's. Then with the Euro it was pulled down to being worth about 80p Sterling. Big drop there

You're in a currency union with a number of economic basketcase countries - Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain - none of them can be trusted with a decently valued currency.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Re: Re: Who prefers Euro's to the £

Wardywonderland said:
Or times everything by 1 i.e. £1 = £1. At lot of shops over here take euros why cant shops in mainland europe take GB£'s?

wow sorry mate but thats such an arrogant statement!! its like saying why dont we take the yen??!! why dont we take the dollar??!!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Re: Re: Re: Who prefers Euro's to the £

ben andrews girlfriend said:
wow sorry mate but thats such an arrogant statement!! its like saying why dont we take the yen??!! why dont we take the dollar??!!

Yeah they should all speak English too the thick twats!

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Re: Re: Who prefers Euro's to the £

Wardywonderland said:

Euro = used by 300,000,000 people at least

Sterling = used by 80,000,000 at most

Shops in northern france, dublin, etc take Sterling. Not any further into the EU though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
At the end of the day, it's all money. I would have no problem if we went to the Euro, or if we stayed with Sterling.

Dave, with fluctuating markets, you would probably find it easier to roughly convert Euros to Sterling by multiplying by two thirds, and reversing that by multiplying it by one and a half. One Euro = 70p is fairly at the high end of the market (there are upper and lower limits to which the markets can operate).

The main thing that gripes me in this debate is people against the Euro oppose on the grounds of 'loss of sovereignty'. Like I said, it's money. Does it matter whose sodding head is on it, within reason? Many people on here have probably used it several times, and may well agree that it doesn't look like toy money at all.

There has always been a xenophobic press which can whip up Euro-hatred in no time. Should it come to a referendum, the arguments would not be about the validity or use of the currency, or whether we will be better or worse off - more a protest statement about the Government of the time's popularity. Under the Tories, people rallied against their anti-Europe stance.

Now under Labour, people have a disproportionate fear of handing our lives over to 'some faceless bureaucrats in Frankfurt or Brussels'. Which is clearly different to a faceless bureaucrat in London, of course.

Incidentally, this is DEFINITELY an entirely different debate to that of how the European Parliament is run. These two issues (the Euro and the EU) should not be confused.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I'll take Euros any day of the week now, I as used to them as the £ and its a right arse getting them changed all the time !!

Lets get with the euro program I say !!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: Re: Who prefers Euro's to the £

MYOB said:
Euro = used by 300,000,000 people at least

Sterling = used by 80,000,000 at most

Shops in northern france, dublin, etc take Sterling. Not any further into the EU though.

No one else apart from the UK and international money markets use sterling. Not 80m people. It's 60m at most.

Certain shops in France or Dublin MAY take sterling (that number would be rapdily diminishing) cos they know that lazy-arsed Brits can't be bothered to change their currency, so they'll take ther money anyhow.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Large One said:

The main thing that gripes me in this debate is people against the Euro oppose on the grounds of 'loss of sovereignty'. Like I said, it's money. Does it matter whose sodding head is on it, within reason?

A very sweeping generalisation there Alan. I oppose the Euro due to the loss of democratic pressure and control over the economic decisions taken with regards the UK economy. It could have a picture of Basil Brush on it for all I care.

You're right that the EU and the Euro shouldn't be confused but the arguements with regards of loss of democratic accountability do apply to both.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Going over to the Euro is NOT the same as handing over the UK's freedom to alter interest rates, or freedom to raise or lower taxes. 'Tax harmonisation' is a principle Gordon Brown is absolutely and resolutely against. The UK wouldn't enter into this without having a strong say in the project in the first place.

The 'democratic accountability' is actually saying 'do we trust a non-Brit to handle our currency?' Apart from that, there is no democratic accountability anyway. Have you ever had a say on the way our economy is run, apart from changing the political party in power?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here