Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just my opinion but Foster>Dunk.

Dunk is a fantastic player mind.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Simon Morgan was immense in his solitary season for us.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Dunk for me.

interesting debate about which formation we would use because surely there are players you might put in a 5 3 2 format that you would not put in a 4 4 2 e.g. Lamptey is one who would miss out in 4 4 2 but a good candidate when having 5 at the back.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The likes of Dunky and Lamptey would be ok, but players from the 1980's would have no idea what the term wing back meant, and as for flat back three . . .

Mark Lawrenson played in a Liverpool side that had two full-backs that regularly got over the half-way line as wing-backs do.

Phil Neal had an incredible engine, as did Alan Kennedy who scored the winning goal in the 1981 European Cup Final by making one of the most brilliant runs from left-back I've ever seen.

I think Lawrenson would have coped just fine playing Potterball.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Mark Lawrenson played in a Liverpool side that had two full-backs that regularly got over the half-way line as wing-backs do.

Phil Neal had an incredible engine, as did Alan Kennedy who scored the winning goal in the 1981 European Cup Final by making one of the most brilliant runs from left-back I've ever seen.

I think Lawrenson would have coped just fine playing Potterball.

Have to agree much as I hate to admit it that Liverpool back 4/5 (you need to include Phil Thompson) were superb Neal and Kennedy as you say were almost wing back, but Hanson and Lawrenson both had it all and read the game so well they were 2 minutes ahead of the opposition.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Graham Cross .....class

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Danny (row Z) Cullip

Danny avit Cullip

Much as I loved Cullip he hardly had finesse did he ? He was far more a "Thou shall not pass" type CB - which is fine when your scrapping around the lower divisions but not overly useful in the PL ( unless you're playing park the bus ).

As for the OP - it would have to be Dunk although I do like the idea of all three with wing backs.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
I am amazed that Steve Foster is even being discussed as one of the Albion’s best centre backs, I can’t rate him at that level.

Lawrenson definitely the best and Dunk with him would be the best possible partnership. Cross, Upson, Keown, Stevens and in the future, White and Webster all great defenders who could play the game too.

Foster is more in physical presence zone like Rollings, Cullip, Duffy - great in other leagues and when you are in a battle and under siege but not for today’s Premier League

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
A back 3 is the favoured option and gives us a choice of three. Not sure Foster would work in a 3, a much better Duffy? So for me Lawrenson, Dunk and Stevens. What a line up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here