Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who partners Lawrenson ?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Peter Suddaby was great but a little too similar to Lawrenson to chose him. Foster was actually a pretty decent centre back. Dunk will I think catch him up if we stay in the PL.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Foster did incredibly well to get an England call-up given that overseas centre-backs were a thing of rarity at the time. It's hard to compare eras, but setting that aside I would still have him ahead of Dunk.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's a lot to be said for a Lawrenson - Dunk - Stevens at the back with Lamptey and Wayne Bridge as wing-backs.

I think Foster is overrated.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Then in the 1980-81 season when they were the first-choice pairing, we struggled and needed four wins in our final four games to avoid the drop. There's an argument to be made that Foster and Steve Gatting in 1981-82 is our best-ever central defensive pairing - and Gatting wasn't even supposed to be a defender when we signed him.

A much underrated player was Gatts, played for us over several seasons, and did an impressive job, either in central defence, midfield, or even at left back.

Seems to have been largely forgotten about by many fans, which is a great shame.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There's a lot to be said for a Lawrenson - Dunk - Stevens at the back with Lamptey and Wayne Bridge as wing-backs.

I think Foster is overrated.

The likes of Dunky and Lamptey would be ok, but players from the 1980's would have no idea what the term wing back meant, and as for flat back three . . .

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Personally I think the question is whether Lawrenson would get into this defence (happy to ignore issues about different levels of fitness etc between eras)

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Personally I think the question is whether Lawrenson would get into this defence (happy to ignore issues about different levels of fitness etc between eras)

Are you serious?
Lawrenson was a regular in the best team in the world at that time. You may as well ask if VVD would get in the present Albion team

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I rated Gary Stevens ahead of Fozzie. But as an out and out CB, then I'd have Dunk.

As was said earlier, Lawrenson - Stevens - Dunk would be a very handy back three in a Potter side. Then the excitement of chosing the RWB and LWB from a pretty tasty suite of options. Nom nom.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Are you serious?
Lawrenson was a regular in the best team in the world at that time. You may as well ask if VVD would get in the present Albion team

Went on to do very well.

But really Dunk should be playing at a higher level than us. He wouldn't look out of place at any club. He should be an England regular as well

Veltman, Champ league semis and Dutch caps etc, incredible he is with us. Webby and White are a year or two off, but could easily be playing at that level.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Funnily, Mickey Adams didn't think to get his centre backs playing tika taka in league 2 on a pitch full of shot put divots

As much as l loved Micky, (and still do), he is very much an old school manager as far as today's football is concerned, playing the long ball, strength and organisation was his forte, certainly not modern day tippy tappy football.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I rated Gary Stevens ahead of Fozzie. But as an out and out CB, then I'd have Dunk.

As was said earlier, Lawrenson - Stevens - Dunk would be a very handy back three in a Potter side. Then the excitement of chosing the RWB and LWB from a pretty tasty suite of options. Nom nom.

1983 Cup Final - Foster out i seem to remember for the first match - 2-2 and if Smith HAD scored.........
Replay - Foster back - 4-0.
I often wonder if.............

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Apologies if he reads this but imho Fozzie always seemed good if he had a good partner i.e. Lawrenson or Stevens but looked average with anyone else. So it is Dunk for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here