Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who on here supported another team before they startied supporting Brighton

Who supported another team before they supported Brighton?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In other words, how many TURNCOATS do we have. Do you dare OUT yourselves?

Old Hadlothian

@san_miguel73
Jul 24, 2007
Borough of Crows
I will, I am not scared & am prepared for the repercussions !
My first kit (bought for me by my grandparents) was the Hitachi sponsored Liverpool kit.
I didn't ask for it, they just bought it... however I am not going to lie... it was my first kit & as my Dad was never really into footy (thank god as he was bought up in Carshalton) I looked to the reds.
Now though... blue & white all the way & I can honestly say since the Goldstone era too :)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I did. I've got absolutely no family connection with Sussex, I was born in Purley into a family of Palace fans - so naturally I started off supporting Chelsea! Also supported Palace to keep my Mum and Dad happy. As I've said on here before my old man really DID say 'be a Palace fan'. Certainly when I first moved into this area I didn't automatically become a Brighton fan, indeed going to watch third-rate Brighton at the shitty old Goldstone was what I did when I couldn't go to the proper football at Selhurst Park or Stamford Bridge. Up the Palleeeeeeee!

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I supported Man United when I was very young but only because no one in my family was a Seagulls fan and neither were any of my friends so I didn’t even really know they existed! It all changed when I moved from Peacehaven to Portslade and was at a juniors school with loads of Brighton fans and we had a few of the players visit the school.

Cardiff first i'm afraid, dad took me to Ninian Park untill we moved here in 1980.

we started going to the Goldstone from then and never looked back.

Am i a bad fan?

I supported Man United when I was very young but only because no one in my family was a Seagulls fan and neither were any of my friends so I didn’t even really know they existed! It all changed when I moved from Peacehaven to Portslade and was at a juniors school with loads of Brighton fans and we had a few of the players visit the school.

Same, but you can't really count that as a kid can you.

When I lived in London I did go through a spell of neglecting Brighton a bit and going to see West Ham and still watch out for them as a second team.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I 'supported' Liverpool. I was a late starter anyway and didn't really follow football until I was about nine or ten. Far more interested in playing cricket, football and rugby.

My love affair was brief (I'm thinking about a season). I had a Liverpool scarf and I watched them a couple of times on TV. However, I went to the same school as Sammy Nelson's sons and he arranged a team trip to watch Brighton vs Millwall. The Liverpool scarf found its way to a jumble sale and the reds were quickly forgotten in favour of the local heroes.

bnfrnkln

all the lads...
Nov 2, 2009
the ministry of flair
i had the misfortune of being pushed into supporting man utd. before i could think for myself i had man utd wallpaper! however things changed - some of my earliest memories are listening to brighton on the radio in the mid 90's, (the goldstone saga and the hereford game particularly stand out) and my dad took me to my first game in 1997 aged 10.. the 'home' game at priestfield in which we went down 4-0 to barnet! strangely that was the day i knew albion were the team for me. and im so glad i made that choice.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Up until the age of 11 when I went to school in Worthing I suported Leeds - they were a top team in the late 60s. I don't think I knew the albion existed, I certainly don't remember anyone I went to school with supporting them. Then when I switched schools to Shoreham, into the class of Pat Saywards son, I started to know about the Albion and others kids there supported them, so it was quite natural to switch. I didn't know any better before.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Not Brighton born and bred, but moved to BN1 at the age of three, with plenty of time to spare (it took another 4 years) before I showed any interest in football. My parents never gave enough of a shit to impose their preferences on me, hence I was free to 'go local' from the start.

But I do remember there being a disappointingly large number of Chelsea and Leeds shirts (we're talking early 70s), outnumbering my stripes on the sports field at Westdene County Primary...

Was a Man Utd supporter at primary and early secondary school, with no obvious links to Brighton other than the fact that my Dad was born there (and that he occasionally regaled me with stories of the team from 50s), but even he'd lapsed. My interest was kindled by the events of 1997, and my interest got my Dad back into the club and so we started going to the odd game. And that was that!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
When I was about 5 and started getting in to football I asked my mum to get me some football shorts and socks, she came home with Everton ones so I started supporting them for a while. I lost interest in football between the ages of about 7 and 10 (don't ask me why) and then decided to support Leeds after that, I'm not entirely sure why possibly because my uncle supports them. I was probably about 14 when I ditched Leeds and just started supporting Brighton which was actually during the Gillingham days, the 4-4 boxing day game v Colchester was probably the turning point.

Well was really Liverpool with Brighton as my second team from age of 7 I guess (although boys across the road in Worthing tried to get me to support West Ham). Didn't have a dad's guiding influence to steer me in the right direction, first game i went to was Brighton (Mum took me, only time) but most of what i saw of football was through the TV. Dalglish, Hanson etc were gods. Best friend was a Forest fan, so friendly rivalry.

Big change didn't happen until went to Uni in Liverpool, 88-89, was frequently on the Kop. Same season of Hillsborough and Michael Thomas winning the title for Arsenal at Anfield. Mates at Uni asked why I supported Liverpool (never been asked that question before, esp not in Redhill were I was from 9 onwards) and I was never comfortable with my own answer. Added to me not being affected in the same way as the locals had been by both of the season defining events, well I questioned my allegiance. My feelings towards the reds started to wane, started to show more interest in events at the Goldstone.

However wasn't until 26th Jan 1991 that I fully saw the light. FA Cup at Anfield. Although i wasn't at the game, I was in no doubt which team I wanted to win, which team I supported. And that, was that

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
First team i affiliated myself with as a kid was Everton, My bro was a liverpool fan so i did it to wind him up. And Tony Cottee was their star player at the time. Then i became an Arsenal fan as my best friend at the time was one. Still have a soft spot for the gunners, They're always the score i look for in the results after Brighton.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Supported Arsenal first as a 5 year old.

Then was informed i should support Brighton so i did, but i'll never stop supporting Arsenal also.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Not me, a one-team fan. Went to my first game at the Goldstone for my 6th birthday and it's only been Albion ever since. I can't imagine what it's like to support a team that actually wins major trophies.

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
i had the misfortune of being pushed into supporting man utd. before i could think for myself i had man utd wallpaper! however things changed - some of my earliest memories are listening to brighton on the radio in the mid 90's, (the goldstone saga and the hereford game particularly stand out) and my dad took me to my first game in 1997 aged 10.. the 'home' game at priestfield in which we went down 4-0 to barnet! strangely that was the day i knew albion were the team for me. and im so glad i made that choice.

Thought i was reading about myself then.

Except replace Man U with Leeds. Grew up with Leeds supporting mates. First game was scunny away at 9/10 in 97 we lost 1-0 and I never looked back.

Even stranger is that I have only ever been to Brighton once. And that was to watch us lose to 9 man Walsall. (I'm sure we all remember).:glare:

Last edited:

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
in primary school i was a arsenal fan only cus everyone else was and supporting them i just went with the flow, then in secondary school i supported man united but then when albion moved to withdean i started to listen out for there results (cus at the time i didnt even know brighton had a team cus i didnt really like football till i was 12) then I went to my first game in 2000 and i just fell inlove with the albion and STOPPED supporting man united and just supported the super brighton and hove albion, Whats worse is I even got a man united shirt once and i burned it when i became a albion fan lol :)

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Greetings to all NSCers. My first post although I have been a long time viewer.

I am hoping that your poll really refers to other club sides? Therefore I hope you will forgive me - as an 8 year old I first discovered footie through watching the 1966 World Cup in black and white telly - so my first support was for England. After that I was never far from a football.

Shortly after that my Dad took me to my first 'live' match Albion v Oldham at The Goldstone in November 1966. I recall being gobsmacked by the colour of the pitch under floodlights and the Albion playing in the classic solid blue shirts with white sleeves. I think Oldham wore orange. Anyway it was a 2-0 win and I was hooked. Regular at The Goldstone etc etc.

I am now exiled in Norfolk so not able to get to as many games as I would like. My dear old Dad recently suggested that I might find it easier to follow Norwich..........(!#**#!). He never was quite as dedicated as me and clearly does not understand that true supporters never switch their allegiance.

NSC is brilliant for those of us remote from good old Sussex by the Sea - and a great source of ammo for putting down those Canaries around here who thought Elliott Bennett was a done deal! Never count your canaries before they are hatched....

I look forward to attending my first match at The Amex - in the Championship!

Seagulls!!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here