Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who on here saw the Albion play at the Goldstone?

Did you see the Albion play at the Goldstone?

• Total voters

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
:lolol: You picked your moment to start watching them, then...

The worst game that I saw at the Goldstone was a 0-0 draw with Bury, in the 74-75 season. The whole game was played in the centre-circle. The worst Albion performance that I saw at the old place was a 4-0 defeat by Preston, in the same season, when Bobby Charlton was Preston's player-manager and most of their side consisted of players who had won the European Cup, in 1968, with Man U.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Practically every home game from 81 to 89 as a ball-boy, then program seller, and general hanger-on.

Sat in the South and the West. Stood in the North, the East, the South East, the West Terrace South, the West Terrace North.

Never the Lego Stand though.

gold_330.jpg

|Pretty much my regular view from 1975 to 1997

Archer you c@@t

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yep. From '79 onwards... wish I'd been old enough to go in the days when we were storming towards the First Division.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Many many times. Saw them beat Liverpool when Terry Connor scored the winner, I was only youngbut recall it was a night game and I sat on the old mans shoulders at the back of the East as it was only space as we were late in.
But was there in the latter years, laughed like a drain at Fans United beating Hartlepool 5-0(its just like watching Brazil!!!), and there was a tear in my eye as people were taking up bits of turf on that final day against Doncaster. I stood in the rain with my then girlfriend watching people running everywhere, and then I think the players came out onto to the West Stand somewhere, and all we could hope for was a result the following game at Hereford(and, I wasn't at that one)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Many games there, starting in early 1970 as a 7 year old.

I still have my dad's old tool box on display that I stood on at that first and many other games.

Did time in every area of the ground over the years, ending up in the North Stand just left of centre (having vowed never to go in there when I was a South-Stander when it was also a terrace).

Always brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Yes. First game was in 1977.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Practically every home game from 81 to 89 as a ball-boy, then program seller, and general hanger-on.

What was your commision for selling programmesin the 80's? I remember in the late 70's the cost of the programme was 15p and I used to get 1p per programme I sold and I used to sell 1500 of them a game. It used to make me laugh because my take home pay from the railway was £20 for a 40hr week as a junior railman, But I could take home £15 for 2 hours work at the Goldstone.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
i saw my first game there at the age of 2, and my last game there at the age of 9

used to sit front row of the south stand, right behind the goal. being as close to the doncaster goal as you could get is my abiding memory of the place, although when mrs ticehursts chair collapsed from under her was pretty memorable as well - and the club were so cheap that it NEVER got fixed, we all just had to shift up one seat

Christ alive. I remember there being a broken seat in the South Stand. I used to very close to it. I used to go to the North Stand a few times, but ended up in the West Stand terrace for the last season. I miss it. :(

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Christ alive. I remember there being a broken seat in the South Stand. I used to very close to it. I used to go to the North Stand a few times, but ended up in the West Stand terrace for the last season. I miss it. :(

I miss the glory years there when we were crammed in like sardines and had a brilliant atmospere but I cant say I miss the last few years there, The atmosphere was shit and the ground was becoming derelict!

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
First Brighton game I ever saw was a 1-1 draw with Oldham in 1989 I think ..... Brighton had a Russian International ..... Sergi Gotsmonov :bowdown:

Saw a lot of the games from then on until the ground went :angry:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What was your commision for selling programmesin the 80's? I remember in the late 70's the cost of the programme was 15p and I used to get 1p per programme I sold and I used to sell 1500 of them a game. It used to make me laugh because my take home pay from the railway was £20 for a 40hr week as a junior railman, But I could take home £15 for 2 hours work at the Goldstone.

You must have had one of the Golden Pitches of the Church steps or the NE corner to be selling 1500 mate. I had the poxy SW corner so you had to pass somebody else to get to my spot. I used to get about £12 for 300 (mid 80s) so I guess 4p each. And you got in free once you'd counted your dosh and had it checked in by the old boy.

He'd be SO slow, and you'd hear the ooohs and aaahs from above you in the West stand and be cursing him. It was agony!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here